Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Hemerlin

New in Town
Hoi.
Fletch, it's the opposite with me, I seem to have a natural curiosity when it comes to mixed drinks but am terribly shy about wines; I typically have to rely on my family to equip me with some bottles out of their cellars lol. Consequently I'd also love to read more about the wine experiences of our forumites.
And I hereby announce in advance, that in the spirit of exploring, we'll have a 2008 dry Weißer Burgunder (Pinot blanc) from the Köster-Wolf vineyard accompanying our salmon tomorrow ;)

Ethan Bentley said:
Looks superb, I think I need to find myself a julep glass/cup.
I think this was the first time that I actually used the vintage silver cup I got from my godfather at my infant baptism 27 years ago... finally put it to proper and worthy use :)

Santé! Zum Wohl! Salute and Cheers to all

Marcus

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Results?

They're not too hard to screw up, as long as there's at least as much hootch as lime juice, it's a bit sweet, and it's served cold. A room temperature gimlet tastes like medicine.

The classic is prechilled or strained. Rocks are ok, lack of a lime wedge is ok, too.

Very true. It is pretty simple, but it was my first attempt at doing any kind of a cocktail. I've always been a beer man, but I wanted to experiment. I was pleased to find out that my version and the version I got at the Hyatt this past weekend tasted pretty much the same, so I guess I did it right and have my baseline cocktail now. Hit the spot nicely chilled yesterday when it was 90+ degrees and we have no AC.

Hemerlin

New in Town
I allowed myself a Boulevardier today - a Negroni with Bourbon instead of Gin.
I'is quite delicious but I have not found the perfect proportion and balance yet; with a Negroni I am quite happy with one part each of Campari, red vermouth and Gin, but I think the Boulevardier needs a larger proportion of Bourbon.
Be that as it may, both are really effective appetizers.
boulevardier.jpg

(please forgive the not so vintage coaster :))

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
843055784_64df31ce57_o.jpg

Not last night, but just a shot from one of my inventive cocktail nights earlier in the year.
Last night was water; tonight, a nice bottle of cuvee rouge.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mr Fletch - Does Tonic Water Go Bad?

Fletch said:
I made myself the worst f#¢!!in' vodkatonic EVER last night. Tasted like I'd brushed my teeth with stove polish prior to imbibing.

Does tonic water go bad if if it sits around too long? I bought the mixings at some likka sto' on the road that mostly just sold cigs & brew.

The tonic water I buy surely does go bad. Sometimes it's bad (bad being flat and/or tastes lousy) when I get it home. My tastes dictate Schwepes. I can't even warm up to the "diet" version, it's got to be the real thing. Schewepes or no once opened it goes flat wikiwiki. Lousy tonic certainly does take the shine off a good dram of Beefeater, Boodles, Plymouth or whatever. Sometime back Rumblefish and others were talking up the idea of using a CO2 charger maybe for something other than tonic. I'm thinking of getting out my old one to see if it will hold a charge, then trying it with tonic water(which I expect would need to be flat before going into the device else it would come out...supercharged.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Tried a mix of gin and wild blueberry juice. Not very good, so once that was gone, I went with a gimlet. Much better!lol

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I keep looking for the Torani, but all I can find is their sugar-free syrup, and there's no way in heck I'm drinking that!:eek:

Brad

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Boodles said:
The tonic water I buy surely does go bad. Sometimes it's bad (bad being flat and/or tastes lousy) when I get it home. My tastes dictate Schwepes. I can't even warm up to the "diet" version, it's got to be the real thing. Schewepes or no once opened it goes flat wikiwiki. Lousy tonic certainly does take the shine off a good dram of Beefeater, Boodles, Plymouth or whatever. Sometime back Rumblefish and others were talking up the idea of using a CO2 charger maybe for something other than tonic. I'm thinking of getting out my old one to see if it will hold a charge, then trying it with tonic water(which I expect would need to be flat before going into the device else it would come out...supercharged.

I use Schweppes mini cans which will do two singles or one double Gin and Tonic. I usually can get through at least one can and so there's none left to go flat.

ThesFlishThngs, I must say I too am curious as to what the drink is. The mint Lindt make me all the more intrigued.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nah, this is a blue-collar town, steel mill and all that. Doesn't explain the sugar-free, but might explain lack of syrups in general. I'm going up to Denver this weekend, I'll look for some there. There's a really nice liquor store I'm hoping to visit if I have time.

Brad

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
When I make drinks, they're never the same twice and vary according to what ingredients can be found. This one was given a name the night of its creation, but who can remember things like that?
I believe it was comprised of vodka, a bit of raspberry liqueur, V-8 splash, fizzy fruit water, with strawberries and chocolate mint leaves from the garden. Hardly vintage, but tasty, especially with complimentary chocolate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld