Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'm currently reading sue Grafton's S is for Silence. I'm a big fan of hers, and find some of the techniques in her books truly apply to real life.

For those on here, do you recommend the Dresden Files? I've heard of that series, and it does sound very intriguing...but I have yet to actually try myself.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Friends,

I'm reading Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk, by Peter L. Bernstein. As you probably know, it's the history of insurance and is actually more interesting than one might think.

Cordially,
Gary

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Billy Boyle : A WWII Mystery
by: James R. Benn

Here is a review

Billy Boyle is a Boston cop, from a family of Boston cops, but a reluctant soldier who prefers walking the beat in Southie to fighting Nazis. Using her cousin by marriage, a certain General Eisenhower, Billy's mother lands her son a seemingly soft job with Ike's staff in London. But Ike wants Billy to use his investigative know-how to sniff out a possible spy in the Allies' inner circle. Young Billy, is definitely in over his head, especially when it turns out that the apparent suicide of a Norwegian dignitary may have been the work of the spy. Benn has a tantalizing premise here, but he doesn't quite deliver on it: his prose slips into wartime cliches a little too often, and the supporting love story reeks of WWII melodrama. Yet the action builds to a suspenseful climax, and there is even a hint of moral ambiguity in the wrap-up. A not entirely satisfactory debut, then, but Ken Follett fans will want to give Billy and his uncle a chance to develop.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gary Crumrine said:
Friends,

I'm reading Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk, by Peter L. Bernstein. As you probably know, it's the history of insurance and is actually more interesting than one might think.

Cordially,
Gary

Fantastic book! :eusa_clap

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
MrNewportCustom said:
I'm currently reading, Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style.

Lee

This is a good book. I watched To Catch a Thief and North by Northwest back-to-back immediately after finishing the book.

I am currently reading Empire Express. It is a history book about the transcontinental railroad. I find it much more in depth than Ambrose's version Nothing Like it in the World.

M8

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Athenian Empire Restored by H. Mattingly. Extremely technical set of articles from about 40 years collected in one large 85 dollar volume. He is rewriting the history of the Athenian empire (478 - 404 BC) by redating extant inscriptions. His revisionist view makes the post-Periclean, Cleonic era one of a less kind, less gentle empire, as would be expected from reading Thucyides and Diodorus Siculus cross-referenced with passages from Aristophanes. It requires many cross-checkings of inscriptions. The older view is represented in the highly readable and still recommended (although it needs great revision in the light of these re-datings) The Athenian Empire by Russell Meiggs. Or just read at least the first of Donald Kagan's four-volume masterwork on the Peloponnesian War which is perfect for the (very interested and very hardworking) non-expert. (You'll become an expert by the time you get through the quartet.)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
"The pastures of heaven", John Steinbeck. I love Steinbeck, and have a personal project going right now to read all of his books I can find at the library.
After that, I'll do the same with Graham Green, my other favorite writer.

Oh, and "Death is a lonely business" by Ray Bradbury. Science fiction writer goes crime noir. I like it so far!

Helen Troy: John Steinbeck. I love Steinbeck, and have a personal project going right now to read all of his books I can find at the library.

I like Steinbeck and favor "The Log of the Sea of Cortez" then "Cannery Row" and "Of Mice and Men" followed by Grapes and The Moon is Down.

He has a way with words that speak to my soul.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have not read "The Log of the Sea of Cortez" yet, I hope my library has it. "Of mice and men" is very good, but so sad I only read it once. I love his light-hearted books like "Cannery Row" and the one about the lazy men. (Can't remember the english name.) "The moon is down" is a strange one. Steinbeck is not familiar with Norway and does some basic faults in describing the community. But I think he understands the resistance in Norway better than most Norwegian writes!

Oh, I can't pick a favorite. Just love that writer, and his characters.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
I'm about 5 chapters into The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger.

I wouldn't likely read a novel about a women's fashion magazine. While browsing through the bookstore, I picked this one up and just read a few paragraphs and was immediately engaged by the style and wit.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Finished three Josephine Tey mysteries, The Man in the Queue, The Singing Sands, and Brat Farrar. The latter was such a good book. I enjoyed it so much that I actually miss it.

Taking a break from Tey (I have two more of hers to read) so am now reading Berendt's The City of Falling Angels, about Venice. He is the author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which was so good, I actually wanted to live in Savannah.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe