Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
mikepara said:
I'm reading 'A wodehouse Companion' by Richard Usborne it seems like it's going to be good.

I've got Cricket with the Kangaroo by C.F. Mc Cleary (Ashes) 1950 waiting in the wings.

I've never read any of the Saint books, the stupid TV show put me off I think. Though the Volvo he had was nice.

...hey Mike, who's that Leg in your avatar? ;)

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I just started reading Officers and Gentlemen by Evelyn Waugh. Its the second in his trilogy set during WW2. I enjoyed the first book tremendously (Men at Arms) and this one seems just as good so far.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Lee Server's Robert Mitchum bio, Baby, I Don't Care. What a fun read! Lots of hell-raising tales. Mitchum was one interesting guy, and quite possibly the coolest person who ever lived...(Duke Ellington would be second.)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
And the book is about????

Marmion's Christ, The Ideal of the Priest, is a theological
testament; while St Maria Faustina Kowalska's Diary is both
a personal narrative and mystical revelation; Boethius' tragic memoir,
The Consolation of Philosophy, falls toward mysticism. Both
Faustina Kowalska and Boethius adorn their respective texts with
beautiful elegiac poetry similar to the mystical verse of St John of the Cross.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
"East of Eden", Steinbeck. I have read it, or so i thought, about five times. The really embarrassing thing is that the edition I own is not clearly marked with "Volume 1" so I never knew it was in two volumes! (Yes, I know, stupid me!:eusa_doh: ) Well, now I have even more to look forward to than the other times i have re-read it: I really wonder what happens in volume two.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Doing Teacher Upkeep

"No, Why Kids -of All Ages- Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It"

I also recommend "Last Child in the Woods" to parents and teachers. It's about how children need nature and unstructured play time. Very interesting.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A book called The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists. It's a warning about how the puritannical Wahabi sect of Islam has been messing things up in the Middle East and North Africa for more than two centuries ... and is now seriously messing up all of Islam, not to mention the world, by throwing nearly 1,500 years of Muslim legal/scholastic/theological debate into the trash ... and then claiming to be the source of all "true knowledge."

Interestingly, the book is written by Dr. Khaled Abou El Fadl, one of the world's foremost Islamic legal/theological scholars, the Muslim version of a "super rabbi." A law and theology professor at UCLA, Dr. El Fadl is also a staunch and outspoken moderate, which has earned him death threats (and worse) from extremist Muslims.

Here are some reader reviews of the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...omer-reviews.sort_by=-SubmissionDate&n=283155

warbird

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
A book called The Great Theft. It's a warning about how the extremist Wahabi sect of Islam has been messing things up in the Middle East and North Africa for more than two centuries ... and is now seriously messing up all of Islam, not to mention the world.

Interestingly, the book is written by one of the world's foremost Islamic legal/theological scholars, the Muslim version of a "super rabbi." A law and theology professor at UCLA, he is also a staunch and outspoken moderate, which has earned him death threats (and worse) from extremist Muslims.

I will have to pick that up. I find the history of the middle east to be fascinating. I have read others' writings on this and would like to read his.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I met him at a lecture once. His knowledge and bravery are really impressive. Dr. El Fadl has survived two assassination attempts (by extremist Muslims), has police protection, and is more outspoken than ever.

He's also a big supporter of eliminating Islam's suppression of women, pointing out that in the 13th century, some of the faith's most respected legal/theological treatises were written by women scholars, who had their own schools and followings. Dr. El Fadl argues that Muslim extremists conveniently ignore such historical facts, choosing instead to invent their own "history."

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Reading Brainwash by Dominic Streatfeild. Really pretty disturbing. It follows the history of brainwashing from the 1950s on. Covers MI5, CIA, USSR, Korea, and even cults, subliminals (not too effective, apparently), and psychiatric treatments.

Warlock

Suspended
The Lost and the Lurking, by Manly Wade Wellman. A tale of Silver John, a troubador who travels the mountains searching for the old songs. The time is shortly after the Korean War. John, a veteran of that conflict, travels the backwoods and deals with supernatural evil.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I'm about half way through Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen). It contains a wealth of information about the the colonist, natives and envirorment in Kenya from 1914-1931. Unlike the movie, which I enjoyed, the book does not read like a romance but like a insightful journal of a excellent writer and adventuress who has a great passion for her surrondings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe