Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jay said:
Several things right now:
1. The Fear and Loathing Letters, Vol. 1-Hunter Thomson
A wonderful book of letters sent by Hunter S. Thompson from 1955 to 1965. It's an awesome insight on how Gonzo came about.

2. Gumshoe: Reflections in a Private Eye by Josiah Thompson
This I thought would be interesting and I wasn't let down. A college professor who teaches English becomes a Private Detective in real life.

3. Hollywood Babylon by Kenneth Anger
A look into the darker side of Hollywood in its early days.

I loved the Kenneth Anger book. What a snotty little man. Wonderful photos throughout. I hadn't realized how unimportant many of the actors (the ones who did not already have big names from elsewhere) had been before film actors became "stars." Just semi-anonymous models for the costumes.

Dr Doran

Vladimir Berkov said:
The Picture of Dorian Grey - Just started it, seems interesting.

I think that story changed my life. I was such a pious little guy with no interest in style for the sake of style nor aesthetics for the love of beauty. Then I read that book and I changed. It was a while ago. I loved the words at the end too, which I won't relate lest I spoil it for you.

carebear

Doran said:
No! Do tell.

Steven Pressfield wrote the above titled novelization of Alcibiades life a few years back. He did an excellent job (in my less than heavily researched opinion).

He also wrote an excellent historical novel about Thermopylae called "Gates of Fire".

If you enjoy ancient Greek history but would like a little more story wrapped in I think you would enjoy his work.

For the Romans I recommend Michael Curtis Ford's historical novels. He also novelized the Anabasis.

Good stuff and they did their homework, I don't think any of their books will disappoint.

Dr Doran

Thank you, Carebear. I have not read many novelizations like this. I know they can revivify the past so I should look at some.

But I am afraid I am hogging this page (as I see a few too many of my own avatars on it) so I will subside from this conversation for a bit.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Return to Joyce's Ulysses, and may open his Portrait of the Artist
again; I hear a moocoww bray from school days!
Must be an Irish thing...:)

Sunny

One Too Many
Lancealot said:
I love that series.

I just now finished the Pellucidar (center of the earth) stories, reading online. The last was a bit of a disappointment stylistically (it reads like a youngster's bare-bones rough draft) but the rest were quite enjoyable. One in particular was very good.

I'm going to print off the Venus books instead of reading online. I don't enjoy reading online very much, and I'm too apt to speed-read at 80 mph and miss a lot of the enjoyment.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Harp said:
Return to Joyce's Ulysses, and may open his Portrait of the Artist
again; I hear a moocoww bray from school days!
Must be an Irish thing...:)

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on that one...:D ;)

carebear

Jovan said:
Does anyone have good recommendations for science fiction/fantasy? I have some major catching up to do.

What's your favorite flavor of other reading? You can find parallels of even non-fiction styles in fiction.

Historically accurate-ish? Hard sci-fi? High Fantasy (Tolkeinesque)? Alternative History? Series-based or one-offs? Old school? Newer authors? Political? Military?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't like his writing because I have to read it and write an essay on it. If I was just reading it for myself, I don't think it would be all that bad.

Jovan

Suspended
carebear said:
What's your favorite flavor of other reading? You can find parallels of even non-fiction styles in fiction.

Historically accurate-ish? Hard sci-fi? High Fantasy (Tolkeinesque)? Alternative History? Series-based or one-offs? Old school? Newer authors? Political? Military?
Anything, really. I need to get back into the habit of reading. I think my brain has shrunken over the past few years. I guess in particular any Star Wars EU books that are good I'd consider reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe