Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
I missed it as well, but it would need a really huge budget to be done right.

And the BBC is a prime example of things needing a bigger budget to be done right! Just look at the terrible special effects on things like Dr Who. I would refuse to pay the license fee if I could! (apologies to Dr Who fans)

Also, I need to read Sandman. My boyfriend has them all and I haven't actually read any of them.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hannibal Rising: A great book:D , Thomas Harris is so eloquent you might find yourself rooting for Hannibal Lecter, and it is definitely making me look at the entire series differently. I ploughed through it in six hours, it's a very compelling read:)
I would definitely recommend the book if you can handle a bit of gore.

Jay

Practically Family
I'm on to "Hells Angels" by Hunter S. Thompson. It's a lot more informative than I thought it would be and it's the birth of gonzo journalism.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
Hannibal Rising: A great book:D , Thomas Harris is so eloquent you might find yourself rooting for Hannibal Lecter, and it is definitely making me look at the entire series differently. I ploughed through it in six hours, it's a very compelling read:)
I would definitely recommend the book if you can handle a bit of gore.

Lecter is a very charismatic character. I haven't read 'Rising' yet, but I've read 'Red Dragon' and 'Silence of the Lambs' and he is a very fascinating and complex character. Anthony Hopkins did a fantastic job portraying him.

I'm currently reading 'Among the Bohemians' by Virginia Bell (about the literati and artists in the early 20th century, mostly focusing on Britain and the Bloomsbury set) and re-reading 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead' because I could never get tired of it...;)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Rising really throws you into a lot of moral dilemmas, you find yourself rooting for a serial killer if you're not careful....
I really want to see the movie now, and see how they did on it.:)

JazzBaby

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
Rising really throws you into a lot of moral dilemmas, you find yourself rooting for a serial killer if you're not careful....
I really want to see the movie now, and see how they did on it.:)

:eek:fftopic: From the ads I've seen it looks like they've turned him into some sort of cartoonish-Mike-Myers type of super villain. Which I'm not too pleased about...

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
They don't play enough in the ads for me to really tell, mostly it's one second clips of various scenes, so that it looks like a nightmare reel[huh]
I can't read how they've set the film up, which is probably one of the reasons it intrigues me so much.:)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I haven't had the chance to read Silence of the Lambs, but I thought the film was decent, Rising really makes you look at the others and re-evaluate your opinins of dear Dr. Lecter though.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
American Gods is excellent, and Anansi Boys was good as well, but Neverwhere is my favourite of his books, possibly because of the familiar London settings.

So, so good to see other Gaiman fans here! Neverwhere was excellent as a book, but I agree with the others here who say the BBC unfortunately flubbed it badly. We rented the BBC adaptation and were excited about it, but turned it off after about 10 minutes. It was aweful.

American Gods is awesome!

Salv

One Too Many
Lee Lynch said:
So, so good to see other Gaiman fans here! Neverwhere was excellent as a book, but I agree with the others here who say the BBC unfortunately flubbed it badly. We rented the BBC adaptation and were excited about it, but turned it off after about 10 minutes. It was aweful.

American Gods is awesome!

I've just started re-reading Neverwhere - the edition I have is the 2005 "Author's preferred text" version - and I'd forgotten that the BBC asked Gaiman to write a series for them, which became Neverwhere. He started writing the novel, on the day the BBC started shooting the series, because so many of his script ideas were cut or changed and because what was going to apepar on screen wasn't how he imagined it himself. I'd also forgottten just how sexy Hunter is...

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just finished Loren Estleman's "Retro" an Amos Walker mystery.

Amos is a hard-boiled PI in Detroit. The dialogue is great. This particular book ties in a murder from 1949 and he does a good job with some flash-backy stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe