Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Just finished Hillerman's latest, The Shape Shifter.

Also just read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods and The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. The last was a double treat for me because the man is a Des Moines, Iowa native and reminisces about life there in the 1950's and 60's. I, of course, remember my childhood and adolescence and so take a humorous trip down memory lane along with the author.

I will soon be starting America's Magic Mountain, Curtis White's contemporary version of Thomas Mann's classic The Magic Mountain, which I read some years ago. A brainy friend I knew in New York told me it was her favorite book, so I had always wanted to read it. It was not my favorite book, but was intriguing and I could tell had layers and levels of meaning, some going around, if not over, my head. I want to read this and compare.

Also read Lisey's Story, by Stephen King, a bit of a departure from the blood and gore of his horror stories. More the story of a marriage, but with more than a bit of supernatural elements in it.

That is it for now. I continue also to read a thriller or mystery story when I need a break from the heavy stuff. And I am always sticking my nose in some non-fiction piece.

karol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lancealot said:
I just started the Dresden FIles by Jim Butcher. Kind of Sam SPade meets Harry Potter. A rather enjoyable bit of fluff.

Have you seen the TV version the Sci Fi Channel is doing? :eusa_doh:

LD

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
I just finished I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, author of One Hundred and One Dalmations. The story is set in 1930's England and I absolutely loved it. Just rented the movie, a BBC production, and found it equally entertaining.:)

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Mahinatakataka said:
I didn't go see the biopic on him with Andy Garcia after I read the reviews of it.

Hasn't been released over here yet. My favourite book is 'The Bohemians' by Dan Franck which covers the birth of modern art in Paris between 1900-1930, and includes all the writers too (Apollinaire, Tzara etc.) It reads like fiction.

The reason I mention it in a 'What are You Reading' thread is because every time I finish it, I start straight over again, so technically I'm always reading it lol

I need to get out more, methinks...:eek:

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
I just finished the Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory. This book depicts the early life of Katherine of Aragon, King Henry the 8th's first Queen. I found it very well written as are all of Gregory's books, and I feel I have learned a great deal more about Queen Katherine. Gregory weaves in a great deal of factual information into her novels which I find refreshing because I learn something while enjoying the easy readability of a novel. I am particuarly interested in historical fiction depicting English monarchs or other aristocricies around the reign of the Tudors.
I have now delved into her next book, the Boelyn inheritence, which depicts the reigns of Queens 4 and 5, Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard. Sounds great so far.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I really enjoyed Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, it had wonderful imagery, and the emotion in it is really well done.
I'm looking forward to the time when I have enough time to sit down and devote 24 hours to her books again.

I read The Other Boleyn Girl on a bus trip, the trip was 28 hours in total, and the book took 24, I was well entertained.:)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just finished "The Sword and the Centuries" by Alfred Hutton. Not a sword manual but a selection of different duels showing the evolution of weapons and technique.

I tell you what, life might have been bloodier up until the first half of the 19th century but people sure had reason to be polite.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Reading through two books, No Ordinary Timeby Doris Kearns Goodwin, about Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, and Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre, a collection of stories by H.P. Lovecraft. Both are very good.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Lancealot said:
Yes I have. I haven't decided yet on it though. It's not the same but I think it has some hope if it stays on long enough.

I have heard great things about the Dresden Files and intend on getting some out of the library. I coincidentally recently bought the first of Jim Butcher's fantasy series without realising it was by the ame guy so 'm not sure what it will be like.

I just finished Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker and am about to start the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I am rediscovering my inner epic fantasy nerd.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
Yay, another library user. I am re-reading, from my own collection, Benjy by Edwin O'Connor.

I love the library for when I am stuck for things to read. It is a pretty small library though so if I specifically want something I have to pay to order it in, so often I just buy it. But for discovering new stuff it's great. Plus I am running out of shelf space!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I love the library for when I am stuck for things to read. It is a pretty small library though so if I specifically want something I have to pay to order it in, so often I just buy it. But for discovering new stuff it's great. Plus I am running out of shelf space!

I had to pay in my library to have 'Lolita' ordered in. LOLITA??!! So you can guess at the size of the library I'm dealing with. I loved it so much I endeded up buying it anyway!

[huh]

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Lolita was my summer read, after I finished Anna Karenina, I got recommended Lolita, and I wasn't sure what I thought about a Man's obssession with a little girl, as a plot line, but WOW!:D
It was soooo fantastic! It's got a permanent place on my nightstand!
I could read that book over, and over, and over and not get tired of it!lol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
I had to pay in my library to have 'Lolita' ordered in. LOLITA??!! So you can guess at the size of the library I'm dealing with. I loved it so much I endeded up buying it anyway!

[huh]

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi is good. My copy is around
here someplace....:)

Elaina

One Too Many
My closest library's lending books are mostly in Spanish, and if I want English books (other then romances or refrence types) I have to pay $2 to get them from downtown. Coupled with the fact I constantly forget to bring them back, it's not economic for me to go there.

To be honest, for $2, I go to the local bookstore and buy some.

I don't generally post what I'm reading, or else I'd post daily. I read, on an average, of 9 books a week. That's a lot of stuff I probably don't need to know.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina,

I'm actually posting my book-every-day-or-so list. You know, burning MK's bandwith to form a record for myself... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe