Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Mike1939 said:
Charlie Barnet: Drop me off in Harlem

The great Charlie Barnet! One of my favorite figures in 20th century popular music. The title of that song you listened to is apt, because white bandleader Barnet was an "outspoken admirer of Count Basie and Duke Ellington" (and on very good terms with them), and integrated his band in the mid-Thirties. His band was called the "Blackest White Band of Them All!" He had a knack for spotting talent and was color-blind about it; he was an early employer of singer Lena Horne. By all accounts a tremendously fun guy and a great leader to work for, Barnet was also wickedly handsome and irresistible; he was married ten times! (or more; the details get fuzzy).

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Another must have is "Stompin at the Savoy - Chick Webb and His Orchestra" from Properbox. It is a 4 disc set with about everything Webb did in his short life. Amazing sound! Fantastic booklet! And new at $25 but I found mine at Amazon from a marketplace seller at $18.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:
Another must have is "Stompin at the Savoy - Chick Webb and His Orchestra" from Properbox. It is a 4 disc set with about everything Webb did in his short life. Amazing sound! Fantastic booklet! And new at $25 but I found mine at Amazon from a marketplace seller at $18.

Great recommendation, Brian! I'm looking right into this.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Well, I listen to Nekromantix, Os Catalepticos, Barnyard Ballers, Tiger Army, Horrorpops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also Julie London (again), CocoRosie, Architecture in Helsinki, PJ Harvey (my absolute favourite), My Ruin, Jacques Brel, Alain Souchon..... plus heaps!!!!!!

pgoat

One Too Many
My Stomach churning (lingering stomach virus)

My suffering over a few sick days at home was eased somewhat by multiple viewings of the 1968 film The Lion in Winter. (thank goodness for TCM on Demand!) which features an Oscar-winning score by John Barry, who I have a deep fondness for, being as I am a child of the 60s and whatnot....

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Suddenly had a need to listen to some Baroque music, so I'm listening to a station on Live 365 with Vivaldi and Bach.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Kind of Blue

B000002ADT.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

zaika

One Too Many
last night it was the 1992 original Broadway cast recording of the musical "Crazy For You" and some young Judy Garland. keeps a girl going when she has to clean her house. :eusa_doh:
right now, it's Macedonian Orthodox chant. :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
A Sadness Runs Through Him--The Hoosiers

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own--U2

Lots of Ella Fitzgerald from YouTube

(alone in the office again)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld