Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've spent a lot of time over the last few days manipulating my western into many different creases. I don't know why, but I have an easier time with this western weight felt than any of my dress felts.

What I've learned is that my hat is more decisive than I am. I don't know what kind of western I want, but I know this burgundy hat definitely wants to be a fedora. I'll have to talk to Major Moore about that sometime :).

I'll say it again...I love this western weight felt :D. It went from cavalry crease to "lemon squeezer" to montana to peak to horseshoe to center dent to teardrop to cattlemen to campaign to hopalong to buckaroo to telescope without skipping a beat. Truly fantastic!!!

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here is my new Stetson 10X
e845fb43.jpg

388fbc32.jpg

1ab78a9c.jpg

5a6f3979.jpg

526b9d51.jpg

8487396f.jpg

3548e8ad.jpg

71d97bd4.jpg

8b030787.jpg

Anyone have a clue on dating this?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
That is a damn nice hat!

Thanks :) I'm really not sure if it's for me yet. The felt is pretty darn sweet. I thought it was good timing due to the recent XXXXXXXXXX's controversy/debate/conversation going on. These X's feel really nice to me :)

fmw

One Too Many
Great hat. The price tag may give a clue. Currently 10X stetson's go for around $300-$350. Cutting that price in half would put you some time in the 1980's inflationarily speaking. Just a guess.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for bumping this thread, Harry. I've been eager to buy another western, but I've been incredibly indecisive about what kind of hat I want.

fmw

One Too Many
Two new things on the Western front for me. The first is that I got an email from Mike Moore telling me my custom Western is done. I put a check in the mail to him today so I should be seeing it in the near future. The second is a very nice Serratelli Western I bought on Ebay for about a song and a half. Here's a shot of it with my black cherry Dan Post boots.

serratelli2.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
I can wait. Not a problem. My favorite hat in terms of design is a cheap Stetson woolie called the Sturgis. Is is 3" brimmed western with a c crown crease. Maybe something like an outback hat with a western flair. At any rate, I asked mike to make me a gray one from fur felt and that's what is coming. I'll shoot it as soon as it arrives. Below is my Akubra Flinders. My guess is that the new hat will look something like it in gray with a little less brim curl. Just a guess.

flinders.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
I found a shot of the Sturgis. Not much of a hat but I really like the design

sturgis.jpg

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
I purchased this hat yesterday from Circle B Western Wear in Brockport, NY. I think this model was called the "Renegade." Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It was new "old stock," from the 80s or 90s. The band reads "4X Beaver," but I don't know the percentage. The color is light pecan. I didn't like the Gambler crown and so I spent yesterday re-creasing it. I gave it a simple center dent, as it's hard to screw that up. You can still see a bit of the original crease line, but it's not too bad. I also spritzed on some Kahl stiffener. It's a 7 5/8. Brim is 3 1/4". Will post pictures tomorrow.

DSCN3092.jpg

DSCN3093.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld