Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Sure. I'd wear it anywhere I would wear an Akubra outback hat - anywhere that I'm dressed casually. Does it seem a little over the top to you?

I love those BOPs and have seen them around. Looks like Mike Moore does a pretty good one. There appear to be some new photos on his website. I'll add a good recommendation for Knudsen Hats, as I continue to love my wool Bat Masterson from them, but most of the hats in their customer photos seem to look too big for the person wearing them. I think I'd prefer a 4 crown with a 3 1/2 brim, which I think you can find at River Junction.

The perfect BOP to me is actually the hat Hailey Steinfeld wore in True Grit recently. I just adore that hat.

I don't think I've seen the ebay guy's BOP yet, so I'll be very interested to see when you get it, Sam. (By the way, the ribbon on my grey cowboy hat is glued to the hat, not just the bow, in a few spots.)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure. I'd wear it anywhere I would wear an Akubra outback hat - anywhere that I'm dressed casually. Does it seem a little over the top to you?

Not necessarily, but in the past I have bought fashions that seemed good in the abstract, or at the time, but then after purchasing I never could bring myself to wear them. I'm just saying, because I think a Boss of the Plains hat is one I would never find an occasion to wear, unless it were a festive occasion like a state fair or some other fun thing where I wanted to sport an extravagant hat. Others may not feel that way about them.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm. That flat top makes it look like what the Amish wear. They are only about 25 miles east of me. I just can't imagine myself tooling down the highway in a black horse-drawn carriage. Maybe a 3 1/2" brim would do the trick. I'd have to stay away from black since that is Zorro's color. Knudsen has some 'splainin to do, however. The text of that page touts $149 for a 4X and the side bar wants $186 for the same thing. I'll email them.

Yeah, their website needs some work. I can't ever imagine myself really needing a western hat, but if I did want one, I'd get one of Knudsen's Jimmy Stewart hats, in black, with the John Wayne styled leather braid.

casechopper

I haven't seen the hat yet. It's still being made.

From what I've heard from bowlerman about his and looking at the photos it appears he does his ribbons with glue which isn't optimal. Especially as it sounds like he's gluing the ribbon to the hat itself.
He says his sweatbands are about the same quality level as Resistol. They look ok from bowlermans photo though nothing special. The finishing in the photos of his hats looks a little fuzzy compared to some of the fancier hatters. But it is 100% beaver and these are cowboy hats so they're supposed to be a little rustic. If the finish is too rough I might look into trying my hand with a bit of sand paper anyway. At the price it doesn't have to be perfect.

Sam

Thanks. You said you were unimpressed with his acouterments. How is the basic hat? Is it really beaver?

casechopper

I actually didn't end up getting a BOP. Instead I went with a similar looking hat with a 3.5" bound brim and a 3.5" creased telescope. It's similar looking to a BOP but not exactly the same.

Sam
I love those BOPs and have seen them around. Looks like Mike Moore does a pretty good one. There appear to be some new photos on his website. I'll add a good recommendation for Knudsen Hats, as I continue to love my wool Bat Masterson from them, but most of the hats in their customer photos seem to look too big for the person wearing them. I think I'd prefer a 4 crown with a 3 1/2 brim, which I think you can find at River Junction.

The perfect BOP to me is actually the hat Hailey Steinfeld wore in True Grit recently. I just adore that hat.

I don't think I've seen the ebay guy's BOP yet, so I'll be very interested to see when you get it, Sam. (By the way, the ribbon on my grey cowboy hat is glued to the hat, not just the bow, in a few spots.)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I was never lucky to find a bargain in ebay for a BOP style hat. I do like the style. Maybe I can get something if my mess with my 4x Stetson...

Neophyte

I wish you guys hadn't brought up the BotP hat. I had just finished nailing down the details on the custom western I was going to commission (something akin to Dinerman, Lefty, and Douglas's Stetson No. 1 hats) and then I was reminded of the BotP...one of my favorite western designs :D. Well, back to the drawing board [huh].

casechopper

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
Hello people!
Kinda nice to stumble onto this forum.
I've amassed a few Western hats over the years.
In addition to the usual Stetsons and Resistol's, I have a few Canadian-made Biltmores, and a Beaver Brand 7X Open Road clone in brown.
But my favorite, is a 10X white Thoroughbred (made in Missouri) hat, with a 4" raw edged flat brim and a cattlemen's crown.
Sorry for the lack of pics.
I'll try to get some up ASAP!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hello people!
Kinda nice to stumble onto this forum.
I've amassed a few Western hats over the years.
In addition to the usual Stetsons and Resistol's, I have a few Canadian-made Biltmores, and a Beaver Brand 7X Open Road clone in brown.
But my favorite, is a 10X white Thoroughbred (made in Missouri) hat, with a 4" raw edged flat brim and a cattlemen's crown.
Sorry for the lack of pics.
I'll try to get some up ASAP!
Welcome, ShrunkenCowboy!
I'd love to see those pics if and when you are able to post them. I've been especially curious about the Biltmores as of late-- I came across an old smelly motheaten Biltmore homburg recently, and although it's probably beyond repair (I've been messing around with sanding, steaming, stretching), I really fell in love with the felt and color. Are yours new or recent production?
In some cases a homburg or bowler can be considered western, so I only feel a little guilt for mentioning them here. ;)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Alright, I have messed around a lot with my grey hat from ebay guy, and I have to say it is one of the most easily manipulatable hats I've ever seen, which as far as I understand, would indicate more beaver content, right? I barely even need any steam, and when I get it real wet it seems to just turn into butter. I decided to go back to the original crease even though it is SO tall, and hand-shaped the brim.
Currently:
015esd.jpg
[/IMG]

Now you've all got me dreaming about a Boss with a flat rolled brim (a little reminiscent of the Charles M. Russel hat)http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?38211-artists-with-hats/page8.
I think hatophile has a similar one. *sigh* does this ever stop?

casechopper

Hey Bowlerman,
Is there any chance you could post some very large photos of the ribbon and felt? I'd like to be able to see the details a bit.
I asked Charles to do my hat without the glue and just leave the ribbon tied but not attached to the hat body. I'll probably look into sewing it on myself as I don't want glue stuck to the felt.

Sam

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hey Bowlerman,
Is there any chance you could post some very large photos of the ribbon and felt? I'd like to be able to see the details a bit.
I asked Charles to do my hat without the glue and just leave the ribbon tied but not attached to the hat body. I'll probably look into sewing it on myself as I don't want glue stuck to the felt.

Sam

Sewing a ribbon on isn't a task I'm prepared for-- let us know how it goes.
Let's see if these pics will load:

010krd.jpg
[/IMG]
009hy.jpg
[/IMG]
007dp.jpg
[/IMG]
003wm.jpg
[/IMG]

casechopper

Thank you very much Bowlerman, It's nice to see the detail. It definitely looks like a rustic hairy felt. It'll be interesting to see how the 100% beaver hat I ordered will look in comparison.

Sam

Neophyte

*sigh* does this ever stop?

No it doesn't. Not to add fuel to the fire, but here's a couple shots of BotP hats with rolled brims. Both come from the website for Buckaroo Hatters. In both shots he is wearing his own creation, a very nice rolled-brim hat:

He's the one on the bottom right in the first photo.
buckaroo20shoot20129_JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
Trail20ride20027_jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Some completed custom hats from the Major's old shop, in this pic waiting to be sent out to their proud new owners. One really nice example out in front:

P8020019.jpg

Also, since you mentioned Charles M. Russell, if you weren't aware, Rich Rand at Rand Hatters makes a custom hat model called the "Charles M. Russell". I believe the angle of this shot makes the crown look a tad higher than it actually is, though:

ig11l1034blnkm-lg.jpg

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
bowlerman - you could easily put a "Gus" type crease in that hat, and some "mule kick" dents at the back to lower the crown some more. If the brim is too big and you're not going to have it kettle curled, get a 1/8" brim cutter from Hawkeye Tack and trim it down to where you want it. I like the tall crown you have on it, but for my height, I always run into the tops of doorways if my hat is that tall. It's worth getting just how you want it, looks like a hat with character. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe