Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Finally some time to spam some pictures.
This is a Resistol 4x beaver, was the first cowboy hat I bought 7 years ago and paid $74 for it. It's tight on my head even it's a long oval, used it only like 2 weeks if much and it's the only felt hat I have with eyelets.
Label says Style: 0402 DILLON. Don't know possible year made.
resistol1a.jpg

resistol1b.jpg

resistol1c.jpg

resistol1d.jpg

It's stored on a box until I decide what to do with it.

Next is a Resistol 4x beaver mink color, my 3rd hat, seller said it was new and unworn. Paid $100 for it and it's another I never wear because I don't wear brown clothing. I like the color of the hat, it fells comfortable, looks new. Label says style: H4134 BARROS. Don't know year made. Someone tried to punch a hole on this hat sweatband but failed, it's marked but not pierced through leather. Don't know what that means.
resistolmink1.jpg

resistolmink2.jpg

resistolmink3.jpg

resistolmink4.jpg

resistolmink5.jpg

resistolmink6.jpg

Pictures can't show real color.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This one taught me a lesson: Never ever again use a Fedex or similar service. I had bought 5 hats so far and I was searching for something a little better than a 4x beaver. Found this Resistol 6x beaver in white and won the auction by $47! Shipping by USPS was usually not more than $40 but on this auction was stated that fedex was to be used by seller and he asked $60 to send it to my Country. I thought OK: I paid $100 for a 4x, paying $107 for a 6x is still good and it should arrive faster. How wrong I was... Fedex took almost the same time for a box of the same size shipped by USPS be delivered and on delivery asked me more 100 Euros (on that time was about $120) because of paper work to enter Europe. Even if Portuguese Customs tax me that hat, it would never be more than $15! I paid for this lesson and got the hat.
It's comfortable and I only wear it on special occasions when my friends ask me to wear it (I always wear my 20x black gold pictured on my avatar).
It get's dirty very easy so it stays in the box.
Don't know if it's style is: RF06017240 because most of the label is missing.
resistolwhite1.jpg

resistolwhite2.jpg

resistolwhite3.jpg

resistolwhite4.jpg

resistolwhite5.jpg

resistolwhite6.jpg

This was a great lesson, after all it costed me more than any of my 20x Black Gold!

More pictures of my collection later.

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
This is the W-I-N-D-Y season here in New Mexico.
LOTS of dirt-n'-dust blowin' around from the desert.
This time of year, I avoid wearing any hat with a wide brim, especially.....wide and flat!
We are in the middle of a drought, so there's more dirt and dust blowing around than usual?
My hat brush has been working OT this spring!
I have a white, short-brimmed Stetson that I'd like to wear out.....but.....it won't stay white for long with all the crap flying around outside?
Oh well, such is life in the New Mexican desert.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The all look great, Joao :).

Thank you :)

Joao - the mink color looks just fine on you; don't have to wear brown clothes to wear that hat.
Maybe I need to learn to cycle more the hat I wear. One thing I have sure, I don't want what happened to my 4x Stetson to happen to this one. The hatband on this mink Resistol is not very common. Anyone knows if it was used on some celebration/award?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My new to me gigantic size 8 Resistol Diamond Horseshoe from Casechopper. After a good cleanup and wet-down with clean water from a spray bottle. Really keeps the sun out of my eyes as-is. Re-shaping, shrinking and tweaking to come. If not successful, I believe my wife and I will use it as a gazebo in the summer weather. Will post pictures after treatment. Frank
http://
P4070058.jpg
Frank/Sam: That looks like an awesome hat-- from my monitor the felt and color look great! Nice photo too! It would make a nice tipi for my family;)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got this in an exchange with frussel. Size 63. The crown felt is the most moldable of any Akubra I've had (so far I've handled 8 different models). It forms dry easily into any shape and then pops back out into open crown without any sign of the creasing it had. The brim is quite a bit stiffer but with some working should form the way I want.

Photos:
IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

From what I've tried I think I'll leave the crease as it is now for awhile and once I get tired of it that way I'll go for a pork pie ala Oppenheimers hat (I've tried this and I like the way it looks with this hat).

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I got this in an exchange with frussel. Size 63. The crown felt is the most moldable of any Akubra I've had (so far I've handled 8 different models).
Nice color. Never tried a Akubra.

Great picture.
Thank you. Because it was taken with a mobile phone camera it lost a lot of detail and color is a bit… wrong. Must charge my camera batteries to take a better picture.

Weather is starting to be hot, time to start using my straw!

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got my hat in from Charles the ebay guy. I'll try to post up pictures tonight. It's 100% beaver and the felt feels amazing. I've never handled a 100% beaver hat before and this sure feels nice. It's thick stiff western felt but the finish is almost velour like.

Positives:
The felt
The fitting. I told him I was a 7 3/4 long oval and sent him my head measurement (I measured a bit loose). The hat fits just slightly loose which is what I wanted and fits better than any hat I've had up until now on my long oval head.
The brim binding is very well done.
The price for a 100% beaver hat is an incredible deal.

Negatives:
The sweatband doesn't appear to be stitched to the body of the hat but is glued in with some extremely strong glue. This could be a problem in the future when the sweatband needs to be replaced. The sweatband is sewn to the reed and both the sweatband and reed are glued very securely to the hat body.
The liner is glued in and is a very heavy satin. I'll probably cut it out because I don't want to cook my head.
The brim was a full 4" even though the hat we'd talked about was a 3.5" brim model. I'll live with the larger size though it will take a bit of getting used to.

All in all I'm very happy with the hat for the price. The only major issue for me would be the glued in sweatband.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe