Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

What, exactly, do you mean by “flange is exaggerated”?

Can you clarify, or rephrase?

I wasn’t really sure what was meant either. I think he’s looking for a relatively flat brim without a lot of shaping. I personally hate the extreme taco brims etc. I see on some modern hats, but their owners probably don’t like my hats.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Soap box alert:

Not everything with a thin ribbon is an Open Road. While the name has persisted beyond its contemporaries, the OR was but one of many thin ribbon hats.

wro002.jpg

Tied off (no bow) 2ply band, raw edge =/= an Open Road.

I don't really know what you want a review to tell you. If you like the styling of the hat, basically any other review of any other modern 6x Stetson will tell the same story with regards to durability, feel, etc. Whether or not the dimensions suit any given reviewer really makes no difference to you. The only difference between a lot of the hats nowadays is the width and shaping of the brim.

I always forget that I actually do have a modern 6x Stetson BOP. It's fine. Pretty stiff. Probably would not be my first choice felt hat if I intended to wear it hot weather. Not my favorite attributes in felt, but you're also asking a vintage hat forum. YMMV.

Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
I wasn’t really sure what was meant either. I think he’s looking for a relatively flat brim without a lot of shaping. I personally hate the extreme taco brims etc. I see on some modern hats, but their owners probably don’t like my hats.
I agree with you.

Somewhere “north” of a Boss of the Plains, and “south“ of the Taco Brim.

Soap box alert:

Not everything with a thin ribbon is an Open Road. While the name has persisted beyond its contemporaries, the OR was but one of many thin ribbon hats.

wro002.jpg

I don't really know what you want a review to tell you. If you like the styling of the hat, basically any other review of any other modern 6x Stetson will tell the same story with regards to durability, feel, etc. Whether or not the dimensions suit any given reviewer really makes no difference to you. The only difference between a lot of the hats nowadays is the width and shaping of the brim.

I always forget that I actually do have a modern 6x Stetson BOP. It's fine. Pretty stiff. Probably would not be my first choice felt hat if I intended to wear it hot weather. Not my favorite attributes in felt, but you're also asking a vintage hat forum. YMMV.
Well said, Jared! Now where is that beat a dead horse emoji?

Soap box alert:

wro002.jpg

That deserves an Amen! :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
An early April Spring day for a walk in the park with two fur babies, Buffy and Pixie. The hat is a Bradford Western BR 20 that I sized up and refurbished. It started out as a way too small size 7. I blocked it up to a 7 1/4 LO and reshaped it with a Cattleman crease and curled brim.

Before:
Bradford-Western-Refurb-3.jpg

On the block:
Bradford-Western-Refurb-5.jpg

Bradford-Western-Refurb-8.jpg

Bradford-Western-Refurb-6.jpg

Bradford-Western-Refurb-7.jpg

Bradford-Western-Refurb-9.jpg

Bradford-Western-Refurb-10.jpg

On the head: (Pixie)
Bradford-Western-Refurb-1.jpg

(Buffy)
Bradford-Western-Refurb-2.jpg

Bradford-Western-Refurb-4.jpg

Last edited:
An early April Spring day for a walk in the park with two fur babies, Buffy and Pixie. The hat is a Bradford Western BR 20 that I sized up and refurbished. It started out as a way too small size 7. I blocked it up to a 7 1/4 LO and reshaped it with a Cattleman crease and curled brim.

Before:

On the block:

(Buffy)

It’s totally unfair that you can still pass for being in your 30s, Terry. Superior genetics? Clean living?
Great hat too.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It’s totally unfair that you can still pass for being in your 30s, Terry. Superior genetics? Clean living?
Great hat too.
Ha ha. Thank you Brent! I get that all the time from people! My wife told me to say that the reason for my younger looks is because she keeps a tight leash on me....(but I'm still the boss though)! ;)

Before:

On the block:

(Buffy)

Tremendous

The lawyers said "Whatever you do, don't take that character in the black hat!"
Nice corduroy jacket too.
Once the background and willingness to be fair and impartial starts coming out, both sides are happy to see me go. Thanks, Perry. About out of time to wear corduroy around here and I took advantage of it.
Good look & pics, BB. They bring Kix Brooks to mind.
Thank you, HJ, I'll take that! Now if only my playing and singing were like Kix.

Once the background and willingness to be fair and impartial starts coming out, both sides are happy to see me go. Thanks, Perry. About out of time to wear corduroy around here and I took advantage of it.

Thank you, HJ, I'll take that! Now if only my playing and singing were like Kix.
It’s about time to start serenading the neighbors again from the deck with Ring Of Fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld