Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, style you can not buy, style must have

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wow... someone pass the popcorn will ya??? This IS an interesting thread. Due to my size and (ahem) coloration, when clad in leather my "style" is usually considered "menacing". But I wear what I wear because I like it, it fits me. I either get compliments or people keep their mouths shut, not much in between. I like it that way. I come here because I tend to get honest comments, including criticism (I hope) and tons of knowledge. Comments from the great un-washed concern me little but here, where people know something of what their talking about, these comments I listen to if not follow.

Worf

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Thanks for an amusing thread...has brightened an otherwise boring afternoon...whilst I languish at home with the dreaded Man Flu :) not looking my most stylish today, however got my act and wardrobe together briefly for a foray into Town (two minutes away) for food..now back on the sofa with the 'bad boys' (slippers and jogging pants) & a Lemsip.

I think your opening post read a bit offensively, per the language choice, but the thread has actually evolved into something interesting. Fear not. You've hurt no feelings here!

Thank you guys... indeed this thread is getting interesting... @bn1966 Get well soon!

What I can say, reading all the posts: Style has nothing to do with class... and versus ;)

Last edited:

The Hamburger

New in Town
Thank you guys... indeed this thread is getting interesting... @bn1966 Get well soon!

What I can say, reading all the posts: Style has nothing to do with class... and versus ;)

Hi there !

Being registered for quite a while I read tons of posts here at TFL. Got loads of information on leathers, styles of jackets and users' preferences in many ways. There have been quite a number of discussions I followed but I never felt so tempted to apply myself as when reading the headline and the op of this thread.

Me, being German and so, having a proper understanding of the German language and possible traps when trying to express yourself in English while not being a native-speaker, clearly doubt that the obviously arrogant tone in the OP is caused by lack of language skills. I even dare to state the same if that Swiss guy is from the French speaking part of Switzerland.

However, his statement is absolutely right ! Style is something that shows in so much more than in just jackets (or other clothes). E.g. in how to open or headline threads in a forum which is in general absolutely gentlemen-style one. I'm a bit surprised how much attention his trolling introduction got. However, it led to my first post, too ;-)

At this stage I apologize for any possibly strange words / phrases in my post(s) and hope you all get what I mean.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Given my recent posts in the “what jacket are you wearing today” thread, I strongly suspect that the OP’s initial post was partially directed at me (e.g., pre-washed jeans), so I will respond.

1. Your post speaks volumes about your character.

2. It is noteworthy that the vast majority of your posts on TFL – as well as other forums – are “for sale” listings at excessive prices. In other words, your forum participation is primarily aimed at taking advantage of other forum members, while contributing little or nothing of value.

3. I personally hate raw denim and I refuse to wear uncomfortable raw denim until it is broken in and develops desirable “fades.” I do not have the patience to break in raw denim and develop my own, unique “fades.” Moreover, I usually only wear denim on weekends and, therefore, it would take me years to break in and fade a few pairs of jeans through my own usage. Thus, I admittedly purchase pre-washed jeans that are comfortable and faded right out of the box. Blasphemy for some diehard work wear enthusiasts, but I do not lose any sleep over it. Rather, it suits my lifestyle perfectly.

4. Many years ago, I admittedly patronized popular department store jean brands (e.g., AG), and I still own many such jeans. However, for the past several years, I have switched to higher quality jeans that are not found in department stores, including several Japanese and American brands, and I rarely wear my older department store jeans. All are pre-washed, but the quality of the denim and workmanship is considerably better than the department store brands. Of note, all of the brands that I currently patronize also offer raw denim jeans, and make their pre-washed jeans from the same high quality denim.

5. Over the years, I have become much more casual in terms of my weekend wear. I prefer t-shirts, flannels and sneakers. These items may not be particularly “stylish,” but they work perfectly for me. Moreover, as with my jeans, most of my flannels and t-shirts are made by high quality Japanese and American manufacturers.

6. Thus, I may not satisfy your particular standard of “style,” but I have developed a style that suits me perfectly. In the end, that is all that matters. I hope that you continue to derive immense pleasure from your spectacularly rigid and uncomfortable raw denim jeans, and I will continue to derive immense please from my comfortable, pre-washed jeans often made from the same denim.

Jeans%204_zpsfh9pcewr.jpg

The original post is rather troll-ish. What kind of responses could he expect but angry defensive ones? I suggest we let this thread die a a natural and very well deserved death.

I'll have to register this under: Really? I think that taken in whole, it's a great thread and did not go anywhere near bad. I know, it's not my joint and it's not my rules, but I've been around here long enough and I think that the post above mine explaining the language thing may be correct. OTOH, even if it was trolling, it turned out OK IMHO. Carry on, I'm but a peon...

Given my recent posts in the “what jacket are you wearing today” thread, I strongly suspect that the OP’s initial post was partially directed at me (e.g., pre-washed jeans), so I will respond.

2. It is noteworthy that the vast majority of your posts on TFL – as well as other forums – are “for sale” listings at excessive prices. In other words, your forum participation is primarily aimed at taking advantage of other forum members, while contributing little or nothing of value.

3. I personally hate raw denim and I refuse to wear uncomfortable raw denim until it is broken in and develops desirable “fades.” I do not have the patience to break in raw denim and develop my own, unique “fades.” Moreover, I usually only wear denim on weekends and, therefore, it would take me years to break in and fade a few pairs of jeans through my own usage. Thus, I admittedly purchase pre-washed jeans that are comfortable and faded right out of the box. Blasphemy for some diehard work wear enthusiasts, but I do not lose any sleep over it. Rather, it suits my lifestyle perfectly.

4. Many years ago, I admittedly patronized popular department store jean brands (e.g., AG), and I still own many such jeans. However, for the past several years, I have switched to higher quality jeans that are not found in department stores, including several Japanese and American brands, and I rarely wear my older department store jeans. All are pre-washed, but the quality of the denim and workmanship is considerably better than the department store brands. Of note, all of the brands that I currently patronize also offer raw denim jeans, and make their pre-washed jeans from the same high quality denim.

5. Over the years, I have become much more casual in terms of my weekend wear. I prefer t-shirts, flannels and sneakers. These items may not be particularly “stylish,” but they work perfectly for me. Moreover, as with my jeans, most of my flannels and t-shirts are made by high quality Japanese and American manufacturers.

6. Thus, I may not satisfy your particular standard of “style,” but I have developed a style that suits me perfectly. In the end, that is all that matters. I hope that you continue to derive immense pleasure from your spectacularly rigid and uncomfortable raw denim jeans, and I will continue to derive immense please from my comfortable, pre-washed jeans often made from the same denim.

Jeans%204_zpsfh9pcewr.jpg
Everything else aside I'd seriously kill for that level of organization in my closet...especially with my jeans, which are folded/stuffed into a dresser, so that only the pair on top ever gets worn.

Superfluous

Everything else aside I'd seriously kill for that level of organization in my closet...

I have serious problems in this regard. As you can see, my jeans are organized according to color and shade. Likewise, my short sleeve t-shirts are segregated from my long sleeve t-shirts, which are segregated from my henleys . . . similarly, my short sleeve collared shirts are segregated from my long sleeve collared shirts, which are segregated from my flannels, and my weekend/evening long sleeve collared shirts are segregated from my office oriented long sleeve collared shirts, which are segregated from my dress shirts worn with ties . . . and each segregated type of clothing is organized by color . . . as I said upfront, I have a serious problem.

bn1966

I'll have to register this under: Really? I think that taken in whole, it's a great thread and did not go anywhere near bad. I know, it's not my joint and it's not my rules, but I've been around here long enough and I think that the post above mine explaining the language thing may be correct. OTOH, even if it was trolling, it turned out OK IMHO. Carry on, I'm but a peon...

Absolutely :)

technovox

One Too Many
My formula for style:

4 parts fit, 4 parts quality, 2 parts functionality and comfort, a generous helping of “not-giving-a-flying-fig” and a dash of historical reference. Mix it all together, toss it in the washing machine (normal style setting) and then let it dry out in the sun for a couple of days before wearing. Optional- Lightly season with sweat and motor oil (30 wt. Valvoline.) Works for me almost every time. If it doesn’t, I put it up on ebay and start all over.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
This is a great thread. As an aside (and in no way knocking it), I'm always blown away by the "How it's Worn" thread on Denimbro. Holy crap, those are some high rollers! $1500+ leather jackets, $300 flannel shirts, $250 vests, $400 jeans, and $1000 engineer boots (that are then sent to Brian the Bootmaker to be improved).

58panheadfan

One Too Many
The original post is rather troll-ish. What kind of responses could he expect but angry defensive ones? I suggest we let this thread die a a natural and very well deserved death.

Hi there !

Me, being German and so, having a proper understanding of the German language and possible traps when trying to express yourself in English while not being a native-speaker, clearly doubt that the obviously arrogant tone in the OP is caused by lack of language skills. I even dare to state the same if that Swiss guy is from the French speaking part of Switzerland.

You are right and sorry for my "troll-ish" original post, of course my native language isn't English. I'm from the German Part of Switzerland... so sometimes it's difficult to say a "meaning between the words" in another language. On the other side, this thread evolved a lot of posts... some aggressive and some wise ones. But it generated activity... of course, if you want to let it die, it's up to you... @Feraud but I tried to explain what I meant in original post.

@Superfluous You are wrong, really. As I opened original post I didn't have any forum members in mind... just some pictures I have seen... it wasn't an offense to you or somebody. But it was really surprisingly/funny how (aggressive or should I say dabbed) some FL Members reacted... incl. you.

Btw: I really appreciated your posts incl. your posts in "what jacket are you wearing today" thread. As the titel of this thread says: JACKET! Also you explained detailed why you are wearing "your kind of denim", that's your choice... if I'm looking at these pictures may it is your style but not mine.

About my character: You are right, my mainly posts are in "for sale" section. Sometimes I opened a thread or posted some posts (please give me an hint, how many posts or how active a Member should be to post in for sale section...). But more often I'm just reading... that's because, I said it before, my native language isn't English and if I write a post it needs some time or it will misunderstood... I'm sorry for that... but if you like, we can do easy a communcation in German.

But one point in your statement about my "character" displeases me: You said my listings have excessive prices! Ok, that's your point of view... I expected a bid more knowledge in this case from an "expert" like you. I always felt my prices are fair... obviously not for you... but I'm sure you will have a clarification for that.

For me one's for sure: I withdraw into myself... or in other words, I'm going back in readers position... and leave the field to somebody like you... a knowledgeable contemporary who's able to construe someones "character" by pointing his posts...

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Edit: @Superfluous As I said before, I really appreciate your activity at this forum (posts, pics etc.) but sadly I have to say: Members like you are also Gravediggers for others... if they feel affronted, they flail around (verbal)... and who knows maybe you are debating with yourself in this forum in future :( ... I know, I'm a sissy... (self-ironic).

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Newsflash: differences of opinion are essential to any community….so lets steer clear of the personal stuff please.

@breezer, you are absolutely right, I just added my 2 cents at a "personal stuff" addressed at me:

Mark

Practically Family
You are right and sorry for my "troll-ish" original post, of course my native language isn't English. I'm from the German Part of Switzerland... so sometimes it's difficult to say a "meaning between the words" in another language. On the other side, this thread evolved a lot of posts... some aggressive and some wise ones. But it generated activity... of course, if you want to let it die, it's up to you... @Feraud but I tried to explain what I meant in original post.

@Superfluous You are wrong, really. As I opened original post I didn't have any forum members in mind... just some pictures I have seen... it wasn't an offense to you or somebody. But it was really surprisingly/funny how (aggressive or should I say dabbed) some FL Members reacted... incl. you.

Btw: I really appreciated your posts incl. your posts in "what jacket are you wearing today" thread. As the titel of this thread says: JACKET! Also you explained detailed why you are wearing "your kind of denim", that's your choice... if I'm looking at these pictures may it is your style but not mine.

About my character: You are right, my mainly posts are in "for sale" section. Sometimes I opened a thread or posted some posts (please give me an hint, how many posts or how active a Member should be to post in for sale section...). But more often I'm just reading... that's because, I said it before, my native language isn't English and if I write a post it needs some time or it will misunderstood... I'm sorry for that... but if you like, we can do easy a communcation in German.

But one point in your statement about my "character" displeases me: You said my listings have excessive prices! Ok, that's your point of view... I expected a bid more knowledge in this case from an "expert" like you. I always felt my prices are fair... obviously not for you... but I'm sure you will have a clarification for that.

For me one's for sure: I withdraw into myself... or in other words, I'm going back in readers position... and leave the field to somebody like you... a knowledgeable contemporary who's able to construe someones "character" by pointing his posts...
Hi Panheadfan, I hope you do not go back to a "readers position". Your post has been the catalyst for what has turned out to be a great thread, funny, thought provoking and quite informative. I know it can be a little intimidating posting as there are some very knowledgeable and articulate folks here who some times take things a little too seriously. You have certainly made me think if I really have style (whatever that means?) or just a dork in an expensive leather jacket! Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe