Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, style you can not buy, style must have

Peacoat

Bartender
I think where the OP went off the rails is when he personalized it by denigrating members of this forum:

"There are so many people in this forum who are very knowledgable, wearing beautiful (leather) jackets but unfortunately have no style!" [Italics added]

Had he generalized it to the public at large he would have been OK.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I sense some real issues, socially, and this fashion thing is representative of the attitudes of what I see as the "enlightened, college types" and the "blue collar rubes" that elected Trump here. There is a divisiveness I've never felt before.
Everything but calling people "uneducated" and "deplorable" then what seems to be a complaint about divisiveness?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The vintage look does seem to be one of the more *acceptable* ones for gents beyond their 20s. It's a distinctive look, not a cheap one, and requires a bit of effort and thought to make it work (not 'get it right', as I don't think there's necessarily a 'correct' way to execute it).
That said, there are fair few times when I've felt that people aren't making work - usually because, one way or another, the fit is wrong - but really, unless they're asking for opinions or I think that people aren't being honest with someone, who am I to kick them up the ass? If they can carry it off with a elan, then that, I think is style.
Personally, I've always thought Gav is one of the most stylish people on the Lounge - the man rocks an A-2 and an Irvin like no one else around here!

Everything but calling people "uneducated" and "deplorable" then what seems to be a complaint about divisiveness?
Sorry compadré, but you don't know me and you certainly read my post incorrectly.

I'm commenting on the generic sides I've witnessed paired them into to basic groups, in light of the recent election. Most would get that, you didn't.
I am not calling anyone anything. I stand firmly against it and am sick of it, but hey, come in and make accusations all you like, I think that others here who DO know me will likely say otherwise...

Oh, and here is the post I made today on Facebook to gently punch the people I know who are all bickering - from both sides...

To grab a line from the Stealers Wheel (RIP Gerry Rafferty) this pretty well sums it up:

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you"

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Sorry compadré, but you don't know me and you certainly read my post incorrectly.

I'm commenting on the generic sides I've witnessed paired them into to basic groups, in light of the recent election. Most would get that, you didn't.
I am not calling anyone anything. I stand firmly against it and am sick of it, but hey, come in and make accusations all you like, I think that others here who DO know me will likely say otherwise...

Oh, and here is the post I made today on Facebook to gently punch the people I know who are all bickering - from both sides...

To grab a line from the Stealers Wheel (RIP Gerry Rafferty) this pretty well sums it up:

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you"
Chosen terminology noted.

Here's a question: what's the difference between 'style' and 'cool', or are they one and the same?
That's a good question. Cool is a term that implies some sense of style and vice versa. But cool can also equate to functionality and usefulness. So a "cool style" must be a pinnacle, where the two terms reach nirvana and synthesis.

konadog

Practically Family
only thing i will add is much of the photography on this forum is cellphone selfies, which are often less than flattering. a sharp outfit can be made to look lousy with a pic from an odd angle and fingerprints on the lens.

only thing i will add is much of the photography on this forum is cellphone selfies, which are often less than flattering. a sharp outfit can be made to look lousy with a pic from an odd angle and fingerprints on the lens.
One must note that many of us have wives that think we're nuts, and getting someone to take pics is difficult. I know that after a couple years of it, my wife started phoning it in and rolling her eyes. So, rather than hideous bathroom selfies, I've opted to not really post up pics any more. Well, that and I don't have anything really "new" to show.
A "lost in translation" moment coulda turned bad, but aside from a few wiggles, it turned out OK, and a good read!

Benj

One of the Regulars
This has been a great thread.

I think that panhead's post did come off as condescending, but I actually do agree with the sentiment. I am also surprised by the fact that the appreciation of quality, style, etc. that we all have for leather jackets seems to end there for most here. Shirts, jeans, belts, jewelry, it can all be as awesome as leather jackets! Although I do realize that that requires a good bit more "investment."

That's interesting to hear what you guys think about "vintage style", most everything I buy nowadays comes from brands that are inspired by the past (mostly flat head these days), but I've never thought I looked too period-accurate, but maybe I do. All I know is that, wearing the clothes I do, I feel very "myself", which I think we should all strive for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82