Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, style you can not buy, style must have

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This has been a great thread.

I think that panhead's post did come off as condescending, but I actually do agree with the sentiment. I am also surprised by the fact that the appreciation of quality, style, etc. that we all have for leather jackets seems to end there for most here. Shirts, jeans, belts, jewelry, it can all be as awesome as leather jackets! Although I do realize that that requires a good bit more "investment."

That's interesting to hear what you guys think about "vintage style", most everything I buy nowadays comes from brands that are inspired by the past (mostly flat head these days), but I've never thought I looked too period-accurate, but maybe I do. All I know is that, wearing the clothes I do, I feel very "myself", which I think we should all strive for!

Looked in the mirror the other day & then ventured into 'General Attire & Accoutrements'. Quite enlightening it was too :)

willyto

One Too Many
I have serious problems in this regard. As you can see, my jeans are organized according to color and shade. Likewise, my short sleeve t-shirts are segregated from my long sleeve t-shirts, which are segregated from my henleys . . . similarly, my short sleeve collared shirts are segregated from my long sleeve collared shirts, which are segregated from my flannels, and my weekend/evening long sleeve collared shirts are segregated from my office oriented long sleeve collared shirts, which are segregated from my dress shirts worn with ties . . . and each segregated type of clothing is organized by color . . . as I said upfront, I have a serious problem.

I think we all can agree in wanting to see all of that. I really need to see all that wardrobe. I wish I could have a whole room for myself. Well, maybe that would be a problem because now I'm limited by my small space which forces me not to buy more or I like to say so to myself.

John_Z

Familiar Face
Style, in my opinion is down to what each of us have our own definition and standards of. Here's me out and about this summer. I like to dress in a certain way which is an expression of 'me' and one that I feel comfortable with. I consider myself stylish but whether or not I have style I'll let others be the judge of that, not that it matters a whit to me one way or the other. You may like to note I do have a head and I've now clocked up 59 years.

IMG_0619_zpsr0plreaw.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
There's also the problem of looking bollocks in whatever we're wearing, stylish or not. Some people are naturally clothes horses, others of us are not. The key is not to care what others think unless they are in a position where they can damage you or your prospects (and sometimes not even then...).

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
Here in the states there are many dudes riding Harleys that we call "posers" - that is probably true in Switzerland also. ;-) They try to buy into the "culture" and "lifestyle" but they can't quite pull it off. I'd rather ride a motorcycle that works for the kind of riding I do - long distance and comfort rather than attempt to portray an image that I think others will think is "cool" while parked down at the local tavern. As a guy who simpy wants to share pics of leather jackets with fellow enthusiasts I may take lousy pics but I am not a professional photographer, model or poser. For me "style" is just wearing what you want how you want and not giving a flying f*ck what others think.
Lesco-2.PNG

Last edited:

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
John Z we share a very very close "style". I like raw denim because i am so hard on my clothes daily that it takes me very little time to show "fades" etc. I am excited to try the same with the Veg tanned Vincenza hide. My chrome tanned Lost Worlds horsehide shows way more grain than when i got it but almost no variation in color. I like it a lot but I really love when leather changes like A1's DD shinki. I too consider myself "stylish" but only insofar as I am not dressing like any of the other dad i typically come across. Whether or not anyone else considers it "style" makes no difference to me. I know you got my back!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think we all can agree in wanting to see all of that. I really need to see all that wardrobe. I wish I could have a whole room for myself. Well, maybe that would be a problem because now I'm limited by my small space which forces me not to buy more or I like to say so to myself.

I am probably the only guy here who has a larger closet than his wife (long story how that occurred). I question whether it's a good idea for me to post photos my my entire closet and thereby display further evidence of my profound psychosis.

John_Z

Familiar Face
Here in the states there are many dudes riding Harleys that we call "posers" - that is probably true in Switzerland also. ;-) They try to buy into the "culture" and "lifestyle" but they can't quite pull it off. I'd rather ride a motorcycle that works for the kind of riding I do - long distance and comfort rather than attempt to portray an image that I think others will think is "cool" while parked down at the local tavern. As a guy who simpy wants to share pics of leather jackets with fellow enthusiasts I may take lousy pics but I am not a professional photographer, model or poser. For me "style" is just wearing what you want how you want and not giving a flying f*ck what others think.
View attachment 63274

John Z we share a very very close "style". I like raw denim because i am so hard on my clothes daily that it takes me very little time to show "fades" etc. I am excited to try the same with the Veg tanned Vincenza hide. My chrome tanned Lost Worlds horsehide shows way more grain than when i got it but almost no variation in color. I like it a lot but I really love when leather changes like A1's DD shinki. I too consider myself "stylish" but only insofar as I am not dressing like any of the other dad i typically come across. Whether or not anyone else considers it "style" makes no difference to me. I know you got my back!
I'm right there with you guys on your views as to what other people think.

BobJ

Practically Family
I am probably the only guy here who has a larger closet than his wife (long story how that occurred). I question whether it's a good idea for me to post photos my my entire closet and thereby display further evidence of my profound psychosis.

Psychosis, or a well executed, well organized collection... like Jay Leno's collection?

You are not. And it's never advisable to have everything (of any collection) in one place; too easy for her to determine true inventory levels and form complaints. I've been married (to my original wife) for over 37 years... so far it's worked!

Bigger Don

Practically Family
They try to buy into the "culture" and "lifestyle" but they can't quite pull it off
A friend tells a wonderful story regarding his father.

About 20 years ago he made the spring run from Ohio to Florida on his Goldwing, meeting at others at mutual friends' home somewhere in the Daytona/New Smyrna area. One of the Harley people asked him why he rode down.

His answer? "The scenery"

"What scenery?"

"Pretty Harleys on trailers."

Some care to ride more than care what they ride.

Stand By

One Too Many
... and I was thinking about that party on the dog walk this morning and I realized that I was the only one wearing a tie! And of course, mine's just a regular tie - and I notice that ties have gone skinnier again (to match the slim trousers and form-fitted shirts of course), so I felt that the width of my tie rather matched my flares! Ha!Ha!
I was always taught that, in terms of style, if one puts on a jacket, one puts on a tie ... it's required. But these days I see that a lot of politicians and what-have-you just don't bother.
I was also always taught that one never wears a striped tie with a striped shirt (or striped suit) for that matter. One stripe only) but what do I know?

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas - may it be peaceful and restful - and all the very best for a happy New Year ..!!!
Cheers!! :)

Last edited:

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
I love to drive my snobby "style police" brother nuts. He's been selling high-end men's clothes for almost his whole working life. He can take one look at someone and give a comprehensive critique from top to bottom. Me, could barely piece a suit and tie that matches together from my non-existent "wardrobe." All I have to say is something like "Yeah, I went to Kohl's and bought [insert item here]." When I really want to piss him off I say I went to Ross Dress for Less. Heck - I used to call JC Penny "Jacque Peneys" - my ultimate source for fashion and haute couture. But give me a Langlitz, Aero, Vanson an old pair of Levis, some funky boots and I'm in 7th heaven.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Likely because they wear them out of necessity - to look "professional" and don't give a fig about fashion. I've witnessed very few medical pro's (usually men, but both) who dressed well.
Oh, I think some make their choices to keep from being confused with "those suits". The message is clear that they have more important things on their minds than wearing a reasonable shirt with a reasonable tie.

OTOH, doctors in hospital administration tend to dress more like their brethren managing other professions.

That said, back in my suit wearing days was I "efficient". Suits were either blue or gray. Socks, belts, and shoes were black. Shirts were white, light blue, or or pale yellow. Ties were striped, with colors that generally complemented the suits. Wouldn't be caught in one of those blue shirts with white collar things.

Where did I shop? Men's Wearhouse! If I needed a suit I could wander in on Friday, between getting off the plane and getting home, then pick it up on Sunday afternoon, in time for my morning flight.

Leather? I have one leather coat. Black. Don't ask me what kind of leather. It's a big, heavy sucker, but the leather is soft and supple. Got it at MW, on sale for less than $500 about 15 years ago. Wore out the lining. Local seamstress replaced it. Now it has a tear that I hope to have repaired. As far as I'm concerned, the repair can be visible for miles. I'll still love that big ol' thang!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82