Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Another excellant film

Baron Kurtz said:
Talking Sinatra. One of the few of his films i can bear to watch:

The Man With the Golden Arm

Don't know if it's forgotten or not. He plays a drummer with a junk addiction. Very fine movie.

I first saw this film on television in the college dorm at around 2:00 a.m. I had just finished studying and wanted to watch something. All the lights were off and I was sitting in the dark in the lounge watching this highly intense film. Just watching that creepy Gavin McGavin character and Sinatra going through withdrawls made me nervous.:( Another Frankie film; Tony Rome. He plays a Miami Detective.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Bruce Lee

My grandfather was a big Bruce Lee fan. In his "refuge" corner of the garage he had a couple posters Bruce Lee. Probably thought at 76 years old he was another Bruce Lee. A body builder friend of my uncle who owned a gym gave him a poster from the Mr. Universe contest where Arnold Swarzennegger won. When Swarzennegger was elected governor I thought it was still up in my grandmothers garage, but she had thrown it away. oh well,[huh]

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
"If Citizen Kane is the number one movie to see to learn anything about cinematography, this might as well be at number 2."

"Delicatessen succeeds at creating a totally separate, consistent and believable universe with a very distinct atmosphere. The brown and green colors add to the weirdness of this universe."

"Is it horror? Yes and no. Is it a comedy? Yes and no. Is it brilliant? Oh yes!"

"Everybody involved in the making of this picture gave it its best. The camera work is brilliant, the sets are simply amazing (with the final bathroom scene at the pinnacle), the editing and pace is breathtaking."

B
T

I watched Delicatessen last night. What a bizarre flick. I loved it! Fixing the squeaky bed springs was my favorite scene.:)

Telepathy, QB, I was just going to revive this thread myself.

Watched the somewhat disturbing 1967 'A Guide For The Married Man' on Saturday. Robert Morse plays a philandering suburban husband who urges and instructs Walter Matthau on how to successfully cheat on his wife. Gene Kelley directed the all-star cameo cast of Art Carney, Jack Benney, Lucille Ball, Wally Cox, Carl Reiner, and a dozen other names who are either caught in the act (Joey Bishop gets out of bed and hoists his underwear) or do the catching. While amusing, like Skiddo, it is a bit disconcerting to see actors otherwise known for repressed entertainment work a bit blue. Naivete on my part I imagine. I put this up there with Wilder's Kiss Me Stupid.

Also finally got around to seeing George Axelrod's Lord Love A Duck. I had always thought Axelrod to be an underrated force and this film, I believe, proves it. A rather well-done black comedy tagged 'this motion picture is an act of pure agression.' How can you not like cynicism like that?

Regards,

Senator Jack

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're caught cheating, deny everything

She-Devils on Wheels. If I offer you a ride on the back of a motorcycle, think twice.
Creature from the Haunted Sea. I love the song she sings.
Zotz!
The Zombies of Mora Tau.
Naked Lunch. I probably remember it as being better than it actually was.
Cria. Someday I will see this movie again. Saw it as a youngster on a double feature with Amarcord.
Perfumed Nightmare.
The Lathe of Heaven. Made for TV. Now on video.
The Last Wave. One of my favorites.
The Mystery of Kaspar Hauser. It has an alternate title: Every Man for Himself and God Against All.
Lady in White.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Joseph Losey's 1951 remake of M. Long suppressed, it's available only as an nth generation bootleg VHS. David Wayne as the Murderer is just subtly creepy in his fey way, and the story adapts surprisingly well to contemporary LA and broad daylight.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Baggers said:
I can't believe that no one has mentioned "Eraserhead" (1977).

I was just going to post about Eraserhead. Some others that are guilty pleasures are Dark City and pretty much all the Ed Wood movies, including the movie Johnny Depp did in 1994.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Anything by Something Weird Video!! My husband and I collect these DVDs and some of them are wacky, tacky fun. Our favourite, so far, is a film called "Kiss Me Quick!" form 1964. I don't think I've laughed so hard in my life.

I also love movies from Alpha Video. Most of those are "B" movies from 1930s that probably weren't "popular" upon their initial release, though. Most of the films I enjoy (pre-Code) may have been huge box office in their day, but I'd say just about every single one is forgotten today with the exception of some of the bigger-name movies like All Quiet On The Western Front and Grand Hotel. Even those are forgotten by some film fans. I feel that the early 1930s is a sorely neglected era as a whole.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
I watched Delicatessen last night. What a bizarre flick. I loved it! Fixing the squeaky bed springs was my favorite scene.:)

If you like Delicatessen, you really should watch City of Lost Children. City of Lost Children was directed by the same man who directed Delicatessen (his name escapes me at the moment - he also directed Amelie, a personal favorite movie of mine). City of Lost Children is like a turn of the century carnival/childrens fairy tale gone mad, that's the best way I can describe it. Another ecclectic French movie in the same vein is Vidocq, I recommend it as well.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
I feel that the early 1930s is a sorely neglected era as a whole.
You're absolutely right – it's just past living memory, and it was always a sad time few ever wanted to revisit. Much of the best film, music, etc., of the time just got lost in the turmoil.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Can't forget about some of the gems featured on MST3K! My personal favorite was "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" in all it's cheesy glory. Man I miss MST...off to YouTube to see what I can find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe