Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
BeBopBaby said:
If you like Delicatessen, you really should watch City of Lost Children. City of Lost Children was directed by the same man who directed Delicatessen (his name escapes me at the moment - he also directed Amelie, a personal favorite movie of mine). City of Lost Children is like a turn of the century carnival/childrens fairy tale gone mad, that's the best way I can describe it. Another ecclectic French movie in the same vein is Vidocq, I recommend it as well.

I have City of Lost Children in my Netflix queue. I just finished watching another of his (Jean-Pierre Jeunet) films 'A Very Long Engagement'...set during WWI...that I'd highly recommend.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ill pile on:

Blood and Donuts
The Incredible Shrinking Woman (Lilli Tomlin staring) Galaxy Glue PEOPLE!!! :)
Batteries Not Included
The Last Starfighter (SUPER ahead of its time in CGI)
Heavy Metal

LD

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Comedy Treasure!

"Fireman Save My Child" 1954 starring Spike Jones, Hugh O'Brian and Buddy Hackett.

31976474_o.jpg

31976472_o.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Another favorite...

Hollywood Revue of 1929 - A very early talkie done in the style of a musical revue with big stars of the day doing skits. Stars in the movie include a very young Jack Benny, Marie Dressler, Marion Davies, John Gilbert, Joan Crawford, Laurel & Hardy. It's a virtual who's who of the day.

My favorite skits by far are by Ukelele Ike and Buster Keaton. Ukelele Ike performs Singin' In the Rain. Does anyone know who the trio of girls in raincoats are that sing the song with him? I've been wanting to find out for a long time, but can't find the answer. The Buster Keaton skit is hilarious - it starts out with a very serious tableau of a beautiful Venus rising from the half shell. The shell closes and decends into the ocean and opens up in front of King Neptune. The shell opens and out comes Buster Keaton in Cleopatra outfit. He does a hilarious (and sort of phallic) dance with a string of sausages as his asp.

I would love to get a copy of this movie on DVD!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Fletch said:
IMDb sez it's a thoughtful Canadian vampire comedy. I didn't know those 4 words went together all at once. :D

Even better.... Jesus Christ Vampire Slayer. I never thought I would see those words together in a movie. Almost as good as Ten Commandments the Musical starring Val Kilmer. lol

GOK

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
Even better.... Jesus Christ Vampire Slayer. I never thought I would see those words together in a movie. Almost as good as Ten Commandments the Musical starring Val Kilmer. lol

OMG - someone else that's heard of this masterpiece!!!! lol I have this film and tend to leave it at the homes of friends because I know eventually they will give into temptation and watch it! Hehehe!

How about 'I bought a vampire motorcycle'? Apparently the best horror film made in Birmingham! It rocks!

And who can forget 'Mesa of Lost Women'?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry if this has been mentioned already...

My vote's for Ken Russell's "The Lair of the White Worm", one of the most kitsch movies ever made but absolutely brilliant. It'd be in my top 10. Love it!

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Weird & Forgotten Movies

Billy The Kid vs. Dracula - 1966

Mudhoney - 1965 - Directed by Russ Meyer

We should start listing weird movies we wish we could forget....

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
A weird and forgotten movie? Then look no further than the movie "Freaks", filmed in 1932 and directed by Ted Browning. It's really horrible and weird. I have never managed to watch more than one or two minutes of it, it's that gross :eek:

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
A french horror film called "Eyes Without A Face"
It was just a film that really stayed with me and I found
it was rather ahead of it's time as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053459/

Here is the summary from IMDB:
A brilliant surgeon, Dr. G?©nessier, helped by his assistant Louise, kidnaps nice young women. He removes their faces and tries to graft them onto the head on his beloved daughter Christiane, whose face has been entirely spoiled in a car crash. All the experiments fail, and the victims die, but G?©nessier keeps trying....

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
I don't know if it was mentioned, but look out for Psychomania. Zombie Brit-bikers and George Sanders!

Great movie!

Another odd recommendation would be Wild Zero. It's a Japanese movie starring the Japanese rock n' roll band Guitar Wolf. Aliens invade Earth and turn people into zombies, and the only people that can stop them are the members of Guitar Wolf (of course!). It's got bikes, greasers, zombies, UFOs... it's totally trashy.

And I just thought of another movie, Six String Samuri. It's a post-apocalyptic Mad Max type movie starring a hero that closely resembles Buddy Holly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe