Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The "Apes" re-edit was well done...must have taken a lot of work to put that together. I can think of other films (not as good as POTA) that would benefit from some re-editing. So, MrBern, who is that in your avatar with John Lennon?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I just watched a film that I hadn't seen since WAY long ago....Zardoz (1974) with Sean Connery (wearing only underwear practically the whole time). It's just a bizarre future society sci-fi that's definitely not for everyone. It's actually filmed very well and has some very creative sets that certainly have given me some ideas for my photography work.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
One film I always liked and would someday like to see again, was the Peter Weir film, The Last Wave, which I believe came out in the late 70's. It was the movie that turned me on to Weir.

I enjoyed the Aboriginal mysticism and the young lawyer's struggle to understand what was going on.

Have yet to see Picnic at Hanging Rock, an even earlier Weir film that also has an eerie story, I am told. Am looking forward to seeing that one.

Maybe not forgotten movies, but definitely weird....

karol

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
Oh, I just watched a film that I hadn't seen since WAY long ago....Zardoz (1974) with Sean Connery (wearing only underwear practically the whole time). It's just a bizarre future society sci-fi that's definitely not for everyone. It's actually filmed very well and has some very creative sets that certainly have given me some ideas for my photography work.
I was watching the same broadcast...Zardoz is such an interesting film,certainly it's the strangest thing that Connery has made. I love the many levels of meaning that the director John Boorman weaves throughout. It doesn't all work but just for the things it tries for I would recommend this highly. "The Gun is Good. The Penis is Bad..." (Actual quote from Zardoz).

For more strangeness from Boorman check out Excalibur(Nicole Williamson's Merlin is wonderful) (1981),Exorcist II:The Heretic (1977),and of course the movie that did so much for southern tourism, Deliverance (1972):rolleyes:

Today was..

A Patch of Blue with Sidney Poitier and Shelley Winters. Sidney befriends a white blind girl and race relations are explored. Don't know how the director did it, but you want to cry from the very first frame of this picture, and that's without resorting to schmaltz. That's pretty tough to do. Classic 60s soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith (lots of tinkling piano and stings) A quiet picture, the sort we don't get enough of these days.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, I just skimmed the thread.. but I absolutely love "The Day the Earth Stood STILL". It's a classic, and chances are you can get it for like $8 at Wal-Mart. It's just great. Aliens.. a big robot.. an eccentric scientist... meddling damsel. Perfect.

.....Klaatu barada nikto..... :whistling

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The Day The Earth Stood Style...that's the one where a wise alien gives mankind this ultimatum: Stop wearing trousers low to show your underwear or face annihilation...;)

Sorry Mr.M, I couldn't resist that opening...:cheers1:

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Thanks for catching that... the spell check must have victimized me there when I wasn't paying attention. :) Boy is my face red...

Although I think you're onto something with that movie synopsis.

Magus

Practically Family
The Duellists with Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel has some of the longest and most realistic you will see on film. (based on my years of experience with the balde) Ridley Scott dirrected it in 1977 and if you like swordwork and a compelling story of obsession its one to watch, though its not for everyone.

Let me know if you see it as I'm curious about your reactions.
M

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Old Dark House

How could I forget to mention this one - the 1960's version of The Old Dark House with Tom Poston, Robert Morley & Joyce Grenfell among others. It's a remake of one from the 30's. Very funny, and strange. Some ancient ancestor left the estate to his family on the condition they all spend every night in the house. If they miss just one night, they lose out on their share of the legacy. If it ever gets down to just one descendant, he or she gets it all. The big old stone house is built right in the middle of a swamp, Tom Poston is a used car salesman in London who sells a car to one of them and then has to deliver it, and then has to spend the night due to a sudden storm or something. And then people start dying bizarre deaths. I've also seen the original, but I thought the remake was better.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Magus

I have seen The Duellists. I liked a lot. I'm also a big sword play fan.
I believe the sword choreographer also worked on the new The Count of Monte Cristo.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe