Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Decobelle that picture is wonderful!!!

You just reminded me that somewhere in my Grandmothers house is a wonderful picture of her and my Grampa on the beach during the late 30's early 40's (?). I'll have to find it, it's such a wonderful picture. My Granny was quite the curvascious blonde bombshell!! "Quite the looker" is what my late Grampa used to say:)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
miss noir said:
i have two Esther Williams suits, and i completely adore them - i actually started selling them, as i loved them so much!

for all you other ladies that love this line, her first range of vintage repro. clothing is out very soon. i'm dying to see what they have to offer :)

I bought my first Esther Williams suit last year (the white with cherries), and I love it. I plan on purchasing another this year.

I'm thrilled that a line of clothing is coming out, where did you hear about it? Is it on her website?

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Thanks ShooShooBaby! Sorry to put you through that....

Daisy, thank you. I hope you are able to find that photo. I'd love to see it. :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oh I have a wonderful picture of my Nana wearing a classic 1930s Janzten swimsuit with the stripey top and black shorts style bottom at the beach. She is sitting down with her legs almost tucked under her. But my Mother doesn't have a scanner so I haven't got it here. Along with a tiny snapshot of her wearing beach pyjamas, also 30s, it is probably one of my favourite pictures of her!

Next time I go home, I have GOT to get them on a disk. Coming from a place where you are never far from a beach, it really appeals to me!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I got a super cute knitted 1940's bikini today. It is supposedly made out of 'miracle' fabric called lyrcon. Are thier more bikins from this era, or one pieces?

maisie

Practically Family
NicolettaRose said:
I got a super cute knitted 1940's bikini today. It is supposedly made out of 'miracle' fabric called lyrcon. Are thier more bikins from this era, or one pieces?

I think the first bikini was introduced in 1946, named after the island that was testing the new nuclear weapons at the time.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
maisie said:
I think the first bikini was introduced in 1946, named after the island that was testing the new nuclear weapons at the time.

After some info from the gals on another thread I don't what I have is an actual bikini, but what they called a two piece, as I believe it is pre 1946. Is there any good ways to date a bathing suit, or are they pretty hard to date?

maisie

Practically Family
NicolettaRose said:
After some info from the gals on another thread I don't what I have is an actual bikini, but what they called a two piece, as I believe it is pre 1946. Is there any good ways to date a bathing suit, or are they pretty hard to date?

I don't know so much about American styles, but British styles would have been pretty much the same for the beginning part of the 40's due to fabric restrictions and rationing which meant the same clothes had to be worn year after year and occasionally revamped. This may of been the same in the US, as when you see 40's clothing they all have pretty much the same basic stylings, like shoulder pads, nipped in waists, shorter (than 30's) skirts, etc. So it make it pretty hard to date thing exactly, unless yuou manage to come across a label with the date or see the exact same garment in a magazine/catalogue from the time!:D

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
OK, that's it--This is the year I finally buy a new swimsuit, and it shall be repro!

But now I can't decide between the mybabyjo suits and the Ester Williams suits.

Yes, I know they're essentially the same, lol.

And then I have to decide between all red, leopard print, red with white polka dots, or black with white polka dots!

The Revamp suits are to die for, I'd love to have at least one for a pool-side outfit, if not for actual "bathing"...I'm particularly in love with the Babette. Jitterbugdoll, you look too adorable in your suit! You could sell ice cubes to an eskimo, I'm certain.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Tough Cookie said:
OK, that's it--This is the year I finally buy a new swimsuit, and it shall be repro!

But now I can't decide between the mybabyjo suits and the Ester Williams suits.

Yes, I know they're essentially the same, lol.

And then I have to decide between all red, leopard print, red with white polka dots, or black with white polka dots!

The Revamp suits are to die for, I'd love to have at least one for a pool-side outfit, if not for actual "bathing"...I'm particularly in love with the Babette. Jitterbugdoll, you look too adorable in your suit! You could sell ice cubes to an eskimo, I'm certain.

The revamped suits are super cute! If I didn't have personal qualms against buying repros, I would be all over them.

So, the bottom line about going in the water with something vintage, is it a yes or no? My two piece is made out of 'miracle' yarn, but I am not sure the miracle would hold up with 21st century cholorine...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's really a matter of swim-at-your-own-risk. I have worn a vintage Lastex suit in the water -- lake water, not pool water -- and it does stretch and bag distressingly in all the wrong places when wet. (Fortunately i took the precaution of sewing in some bra cups before wearing it, since the top was unlined.) I wouldnt want to take the chance of wearing a vintage suit in a chlorinated pool though -- that's pushing your luck, I'd think.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Of course I'm not near as knowledgeable as some of the ladies here, but I would strongly advise against it. Unless the item is brand new old stock, which are very rare to find, I would think it would be a matter of just not wanting to take any risks. You just don't know how the material is going to react either in the water, or afterwards.I just don't think the stress is worth it. [huh]

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Beach/pool shoes?

OK, so I have the bathing suit. But what do you wear on your feet? I'm not a flip flop kind of gal, and although I would love to wear a pair of those high heeled mules or espadrilles, I have visions of falling on my face:eusa_doh: and I think modern sandals or beach shoes spoil the vintage look, so....

what type of footwear do you wear with your suit to the beach/pool or even just lounging around....

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
yeah, I don't think that a single person in 9 pages-worth of discussion has advocated wearing vintage in the water, so I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that concensus.

I do have to point out that swimsuits made from non-modern fabrics are going to be uncomfortable, and sag and stretch in unsightly ways. I would venture to bet that any vintage lady would have leapt at the opportunity to wear swimwear made from today's fabrics....

maisie

Practically Family
RetroMom said:
OK, so I have the bathing suit. But what do you wear on your feet? I'm not a flip flop kind of gal, and although I would love to wear a pair of those high heeled mules or espadrilles, I have visions of falling on my face:eusa_doh: and I think modern sandals or beach shoes spoil the vintage look, so....

what type of footwear do you wear with your suit to the beach/pool or even just lounging around....

You could wear tennis like plimsoles the ones that lace up. I have seen a few vintage pairs, and during the 40's they were worn with leisure outfits and even by some of the womens services, like the WAC with there PT kit and the WRNS with there rig uniform. I have also found they are in quite alot of shops over here at the moment, for both men and womens (even though there is no difference!).

maisie

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
If I were you I wouldn't go in the water -- I'd just sit there and look cuter than everyone else ;)

I agree, you'd only kick yourself if you came out of the water only to find that it had started to stretch or disintigrate and even more so being a cute 2 piece that sounds a lovely piece to own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe