Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am sorry, but I am so sick of seeing modern "retro pin up" models everywhere *trying* to be Bette Page or Bettie Grable. I really wish "retro" themed models would do something ELSE beside pinup, dress like a 1950's housewife, wear a ball gown, do partial nude in the style of early Vargas, or of the elegant poses inspired by the 1920's or 1930's, these were so much more classy. There was more to the 40's then pinup models and more to the 1950's then Bette Page, not to bash these looks, I just wish models/websites like stop starring would expand thier looks a little more beyond just them.

May I ask what this has to do with bathing suits? Because as far I can tell, comments like these add nothing to this forum or your own image. There are a number of authentic pinup models on here, and whether you like it or not, pinups were a part of the 1930s-50s and are not going to go away just because you do not care for them. If pinup modeling is of no interest to you, then don't do it. Perhaps your were not taught this as a child, but good manners are just as important to a lady now as they were then, and right now you are sorely lacking in the areas of good taste and judgment. Remember, a lady makes the clothing and not the other way around, and even the most exquisite, expensive finery can't hide a classless person.

ReVamp does have great clothing and models--in fact, I was extended the invitation to model for them any time I am in California. Here I am in the 'Lexy' bathing suit:
47b7dc04b3127cce820c0b592de800000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
NicolettaRose said:
The clothing is somewhat cute, but it is so gosh darn Rockabilly, All of the models look like they are trying to be Bette Page or some other pinup model.

As someone who is more towards the rockabilly end of the vintage spectrum, I see nothing wrong with modern pinup models trying to emulate the style of the Betties. I think of it as them paying homage to their heroines.

And if you don't like the clothing, you don't have to wear it. Just like I find 30s clothes dreadful for my body type... so I have no interest in them. But I don't go around putting others down for liking them. That just means to me that there are more straight and circle skirts for my closet!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Some people's attitude towards vintage clothes actually remind me of myself when I was in my early 20's. I was very much into rare twee indie music from the 1980s and looked with disdain at music fans who didn't bother ("weren't dedicated enough") to hunt down the original 7" records and vinyl lps (priced at about 30$ and upwards) but were satisfied with downloading the music from the internet instead.

As a morale, let's just say I got tired of snobbishness and realised that with that whole purist, elitist attitude you only push people away from you. In my opinion, when it comes to self-images there is really no such thing as being more "authentic" than others, everything is constructed anyway (and fashion particularly so). So ... tolerance please!
Older and wiser ... lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the most valuable things about the Lounge is the opportunity it gives us to appreciate all the different ways people can appreciate vintage style -- some of us live the life as much as possible, so to speak, others just like bits and pieces of the look, and some fall somewhere in between. There's no right or wrong way, nobody will be checking tags, so let's all try to keep in mind the common points that bring us all together and not get too worked up over differences in the specifics. Kindness is a lot more important than style, when you get right down to it.

Not that it has anything to do with bathing suits, but it's still worth keeping in mind.

Renee

Familiar Face
:D
jitterbugdoll said:
There are a number of authentic pinup models on here, and whether you like it or not, pinups were a part of the 1930s-50s and are not going to go away just because you do not care for them.

And thanks to our modern-day-vintage-style pinup models, vintage style lingerie, girdles and fully fashioned stockings are readily available! :eusa_clap

And if, like me, you are rather ... ahem ... religious (or repressed, however you want to look at it LOL) you appreciate not having to venture into the auspices of transvestites or cross-dressers to purchase above mentioned items! :D

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
As a modern pin up I agree with jitterbugdoll. If you don´t like Pin up models that´s your problem and not the problem of the pin ups. Just don´t watch them than.

I love what I do and put all my heart, passion and spare time in it. The longer I do it the more I appreciate the beauty of vintage and the more of it I get and integrate it in my daily lifestyle.

I won´t badmouth people with a liking for other things that are not so much my cup of tea or living a lifestyle I might not like personally cause I know they put as much passion and love in what they do. I respect other peoples taste and lifestyle.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
The law of averages means that if these kind of girls are the ones you see everywhere, a forum full of girls into vintage is going to contain a reasonable percentage of the same.

I also don't think they are trying to *be* anyone. There are a finite amount of hairstyles, colours etc in the world. I often wonder if people think I am trying to look like Dita von Teese because I have black hair that I often wear curled. If I cut a fringe then I might look like I'm trying to be Bernie Dexter (or Bettie Page). And so on. But I am not trying to be anyone other than me. I want to emulate the past, drawing on the same inspiration as others but not trying to copy them. Much as I imagine a lot of others do.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicolettaRose said:
Thanks Pidgeon Toe--I will check them out. I am really not into stop starring and websites like that, The clothing is somewhat cute, but it is so gosh darn Rockabilly, All of the models look like they are trying to be Bette Page or some other pinup model. I was just talking about this with my friend who works as a photographer.

:eek:fftopic: I am sorry, but I am so sick of seeing modern "retro pin up" models everywhere *trying* to be Bette Page or Bettie Grable. I really wish "retro" themed models would do something ELSE beside pinup, dress like a 1950's housewife, wear a ball gown, do partial nude in the style of early Vargas, or of the elegant poses inspired by the 1920's or 1930's, these were so much more classy. There was more to the 40's then pinup models and more to the 1950's then Bette Page, not to bash these looks, I just wish models/websites like stop starring would expand thier looks a little more beyond just them.

Anyway, stop starring has some cute items, but a vintage dress 1. is made of much better quality fabric 2. is probably cheaper.

I think this is why I like to look at Revamp, she has very good articles, and the models look wonderul, like they are actually of the period. Her 20's stuff is great.

Well, considering your comment "I'll just buy another" I'm surprised that you find Stop Staring (it's Staring not "starring") expensive!

As for your pin-up rant, as Jitterbug stated, there is absolutely no room in The Powder Room for these kind of rants. You are fully aware that there are quite a few ladies in here that are into Pin-up, and I find your senseless rant offensive, rude, and you come across as much less of a lady. I haven't the slightest clue what your problem is, but keep it to yourself, or the supposed friends you had this conversation with the other day. Either you haven't any sense, or you like openly attempting to insult people. These insults are not welcome and are simply wrong. Why would you make such a statement in a place where you are fully aware that there are pin-up's? We here at the Lounge draw the line at personal attacks! What on earth is your problem???

LizzieMaine

Bartender
(Lizzie waves bartender towel...)

OK, I think the point's been made, so how about we get this thread back to bathing suits. And like I said before -- let's everyone keep in mind that *kindness* is more important that style.

Bathing suit comment -- years ago I had a forties-vintage bathing suit which was extremely structured, to the point of having actual boning and a zipper closure in it. I could wear it well enough for lounging, but I couldn't imagine actually swimming it -- the bones made it very uncomfy for vigorous movement, and I had the feeling it wasn't actually expected to be worn for serious water use. Anyone know how common this type of suit was? Most of the others I've come across from this era have been the cotton lastex sort.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Lizzie--I agree that all of us can lead by example when it comes to kindness and ladylike manners, and that we have all made it clear that this type of attitude is only hurtful to our fine forum. It is also nice to know that the Powder Room is filled with many lovely ladies who enjoy contributing valuable information to this forum and learning from others as well; that is the ultimate goal of the Lounge and the reason we have so many avid members here.

Lizzie, I think these type of bathing suits were fairly common; I have seen many made in impractical fabrics such as velvet, and that were certainly not for swimming (and I am not sure how many people prefer to lounge by the pool in black velvet, but sometimes you do have to suffer a bit for fashion, I suppose. ;)) I have several bathing suits from the 1930s-50s, and some are certainly firmer then others, as figure shaping as the best girdle in many cases, and it would be hard to do any vigorous swimming while wearing one. But, a lady liked to put her best figure forward, and a bathing suit certainly is less forgiving than a dress, so it does it make sense that many were more restrictive than others.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
If you read my post it was not against pinup or rockabiliy, I am fine with both of them, so sorry if you thought that. My sister is totally rockabilly. Like I said I have no problems with the looks, or the people at wearing the, so please read that in my post before you take offense.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Personally, with vintage, if I can't wear it, I don't want it (of course there are exceptions -- I've been holding onto a pink satin 1940's high-waisted girdle in hopes that my waist will magically grow longer and it will fit!). That's why I don't want to buy a vintage bathing suit

Even tho I don't swim in my mint-condition vintage suits, they do get used. When I stay at the Hollywood Roosevelt for work (there are some perks to being a state historian), I am poolside in those babies. I also wear them for photos. For several years I also loaned them out to our local history museum for a vintage bathing suit fashion show, which they held to educate the public about what bathing suits looked like historically. Between me and another volunteer we had 100 years of suit styles represented (she did the 1850s-1910)!

Jitterbugdoll, you look adorable in that photo! Also, in some of the images on your homepage gallery, you look like you stepped right out of a Vargas or Elvgren calendar. Have you tried the Revamp suit in the water?

Lizzie, I have a 40s suit that I am sure never saw the water. I think it was 100% for glamour. I call it the Betty Grable suit. It is very structured, with white satin trim and satin halter-type tie and has decorative rhinestone clips on each side. Actually, it would be perfect on Jitterbugdoll!

47b7dc04b3127cce81b44d519cb700000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

47b7dc04b3127cce81b44d5e1d8800000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I also don't think they are trying to *be* anyone. There are a finite amount of hairstyles, colours etc in the world. I often wonder if people think I am trying to look like Dita von Teese because I have black hair that I often wear curled.

Hahha, I have no shame, I AM trying to look like Dita Von Teese! And when people say I do I am just tickled pink! I figure since I never tried to look like someone like Britney Spears in high school there's no harm in trying to look like my idol when I'm in college! ;)

And Decobelle, I would like a vintage bathing suit for lounging in, but I'm also afraid of just buying one without trying it on, since my bust size is small and a lot of vintage is too big. But, most unfortunately, I find the vintage bathing suits in a lot of vintage shops to be totally misshapen and odd looking. They probably look better on, but I don't have a lot of luck with these things!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
When I stay at the Hollywood Roosevelt for work (there are some perks to being a state historian),
Oops, I meant to say, in my off hours, of course!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Hahha, I have no shame, I AM trying to look like Dita Von Teese! And when people say I do I am just tickled pink! I figure since I never tried to look like someone like Britney Spears in high school there's no harm in trying to look like my idol when I'm in college! ;)

I can somewhat see what NicolettaRose is trying to say about rockabilly pin-ups, and I think there's a distinction between some of the pin-ups on here. There is a level of temporary trendiness in the rockabilly/psychobilly scenes when it comes to looking like Bettie Page and stuff. But I don't care because Bettie Page is what caused me to dye my hair black and cut my bangs short in 9th grade. Dita Von Teese is what made me start getting seriously dedicated to collecting and looking more vintage. So I see no harm in it, or else I'd be a hypocrite!

Okay, that was just my quick 2 cents, now back to bathing suits!!! :)

I like dita von tease, she has a ton of class. I also think you do as well Pidgeontoe. Like I said, my sister did the whole rockabilly thing, she looked ausome. Like I said before, its not so much people in general, its more the models on the pages like stop starring, I think the models on Revamp look ausome and I just wish more "repo" sites would use that look. I really hope you get to do you internship, Pidgeontoe, it sounds like ausome opportunity! That site is pretty cool, if I ever get down to LA, I will take one of those "vintage immersion" classes.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I have a few vintage bathing suits for "lounging in" and I made a couple from vintage patterns for swimming in or in my case splashing in. Sun, chlorine, sand and salt water will destroy a new suit so in my opinion it's not worth the risk on a vintage one as these are more difficult to find than other vintage items for that same reason.

Viviene

Vendor
There's some great swimsuit information over at the Vintage Fashion Guild that might give you a better idea of how things have changed over the years.

Now here's a question for the ladies about a particular vintage bathing suit I've had it for a year and a half. I've priced it high, low, medium and still no takers. I have to assume that it's the way I have it displayed. It's on a mannequin and I guess it's not showing how bombshell it is. Maybe you could take the time to tell me how to make it look as it should. I have no live model available to model it so that's not an option. Here are some pictures. I will be changing the background so that won't be an issue on the photos. It's from the 1950s and made of Lastex. It fits nice and snug and has boning in the side sof the bodice and cups. I just can't get how WOW the suit is across.

37102226_o.jpg

37102229_o.jpg

37102233_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe