Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

Viviene

Vendor
I'm glad you said that about the side shot. :eusa_doh: This mannequin is a size 4 modern and that suit measures 36-32-38. What I was going for there and obviously missed is that it will fit someone more "built" if you will and goes up to and including a C-cup. I actually bubble wrapped the mannequin's mid section to "build her up" so to speak. It just doesn't pop the way it should.

Guess I have some playing around with the suit to do. :rolleyes:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicolettaRose said:
So what are the major differances between suits from the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's and 1950's? Which is the best decade to buy?

We all have different styles and tastes. Many of us like different era's. So, choosing an era for a swim suit is really a personal choice. You should look at the pictures on the other threads and search the web for pictures of bathing suits from different eras, and make your decision that way. Go by style and cut and what you like, nobody can tell you which era is better, it's really personal preference.

Mojito

One Too Many
I also think the swimsuit looks *wow*, Viviene! If it was the era I was looking for, I'd definitely go for it. I agree also with the comments about the profile shot making it looks somewhat maternity wear...must be those skinny arms and legs! Perhaps a comment alongside the illustration, outlinging what you were trying to show with the padding?

I just won the Bathing Belle competition at the Napier Art Deco festival. It was a not-too-serious fun event, so my take on the 1920s with an original vintage Bradley knit swimsuit, rolled stockings and one of my favourite elaborite 1920s headresses - coupled with a Thai silk parasol - fitted in well! All a bit of fun, and the local newspaper made a humourous comment in an editorial about the wool costume.

The suit itself is incredibly heavy, even while dry - I can't image what it would be like wet. Even so, I'm always thankful to Annette Kellerman for her pioneering work on reforming women's bathing attire. It's rather warm and prickly (thank goodness I had on undergarments to protect some skin!), but for just walking around in is otherwise quite comfortable - it's such a covering garment I didn't feel too self-conscious around the huge crowds, even when they were photographing me, as it was almost like wearing a dress.

I spend a lot of time in and around the water, as I live by the sea and do a lot of scuba diving and body surfing. Saltwater is incredibly corrosive, and I always carefully rinse out my swimwear in fresh water after every use. While I usually prefer vintage fabrics and cuts, I think sportswear is one of the areas where modern fabrics are superior. Wicking materials for strenuous exercise like running are the only things I'd consider (I'd never touch cotton, for example), and modern lycra blends stand up much better to constant salt and chlorine exposure.

For lounging, however, vintage is fun - even clunky, heavy 1920s bathing suits. I'd like to have a parasol and a cool cocktail on hand, however, if I was going to wear one of those woollen numbers for too long!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
If you read my post it was not against pinup or rockabiliy, I am fine with both of them, so sorry if you thought that. My sister is totally rockabilly. Like I said I have no problems with the looks, or the people at wearing the, so please read that in my post before you take offense.

This is an excellent lesson on choosing your words carefully. Obviously, your post was offensive to a number of people, so hopefully you will have learned that making pat statements is not the wisest thing to do on a message board and take something from these experiences. One must always remember that people from all walks of life and all interests call the Lounge home, and you must be respectful of everyone here. Talk is cheap, but you can't buy it back.

So what are the major differances between suits from the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's and 1950's? Which is the best decade to buy?

This information can easily be found if you just do a little research, as Viviene suggested. None of us has the exact answer you are looking for, so you will need to figure out what it is you need yourself.

Jitterbugdoll, you look adorable in that photo! Also, in some of the images on your homepage gallery, you look like you stepped right out of a Vargas or Elvgren calendar. Have you tried the Revamp suit in the water?

Lizzie, I have a 40s suit that I am sure never saw the water. I think it was 100% for glamour. I call it the Betty Grable suit. It is very structured, with white satin trim and satin halter-type tie and has decorative rhinestone clips on each side. Actually, it would be perfect on Jitterbugdoll!

You are too sweet! And what a killer suit! I actually haven't tried the ReVamp swimsuit in the water yet (just haven't had the opportunity), but the fabric is fairly thick and so I don't anticipate that it will be too clingy or see through. I really like this particular style, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun 1940s-style suit.

I just won the Bathing Belle competition at the Napier Art Deco festival. It was a not-too-serious fun event, so my take on the 1920s with an original vintage Bradley knit swimsuit, rolled stockings and one of my favourite elaborite 1920s headresses - coupled with a Thai silk parasol - fitted in well! All a bit of fun, and the local newspaper made a humourous comment in an editorial about the wool costume.

How neat, Mojito!

Now here's a question for the ladies about a particular vintage bathing suit I've had it for a year and a half. I've priced it high, low, medium and still no takers.

Viviene, I think that swimsuit would be best modeled on an actual person. I have a fairly similar one that looks great on, but kind of blah when on a hanger or mannequin. You could also try pinning the suit to give a better idea of what it might look like when filled out. It is an adorable suit though—I am surprised it hasn’t sold yet!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
At the end of the day, I respect everyone's reasonings and everyone's opinion on vintage clothing and vintage style. It is something that is so personal and I respect that everyone's is different, like I said before my sister rocks the Rockabiliy style and she looks ausome, like I said before I just wish the sites like stop starring and others would look more like the one that PidgeonToe showed on the site, on which the models are extreamly classy.Its not an opionon of anyone on this site, so I hope no one takes it personally.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojito said:
I also think the swimsuit looks *wow*, Viviene! If it was the era I was looking for, I'd definitely go for it. I agree also with the comments about the profile shot making it looks somewhat maternity wear...must be those skinny arms and legs! Perhaps a comment alongside the illustration, outlinging what you were trying to show with the padding?

The suit itself is incredibly heavy, even while dry - I can't image what it would be like wet. Even so, I'm always thankful to Annette Kellerman for her pioneering work on reforming women's bathing attire. It's rather warm and prickly (thank goodness I had on undergarments to protect some skin!), but for just walking around in is otherwise quite comfortable - it's such a covering garment I didn't feel too self-conscious around the huge crowds, even when they were photographing me, as it was almost like wearing a dress.

I spend a lot of time in and around the water, as I live by the sea and do a lot of scuba diving and body surfing. Saltwater is incredibly corrosive, and I always carefully rinse out my swimwear in fresh water after every use. While I usually prefer vintage fabrics and cuts, I think sportswear is one of the areas where modern fabrics are superior. Wicking materials for strenuous exercise like running are the only things I'd consider (I'd never touch cotton, for example), and modern lycra blends stand up much better to constant salt and chlorine exposure.

For lounging, however, vintage is fun - even clunky, heavy 1920s bathing suits. I'd like to have a parasol and a cool cocktail on hand, however, if I was going to wear one of those woollen numbers for too long!
Golly that sounds like fun!!:) Congratulations on your win!! You should definitely post some pictures, I (and I'm sure other lady loungers) would love to see them.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
At the end of the day, I respect everyone's reasonings and everyone's opinion on vintage clothing and vintage style. It is something that is so personal and I respect that everyone's is different, like I said before my sister rocks the Rockabiliy style and she looks ausome, like I said before I just wish the sites like stop starring and others would look more like the one that PidgeonToe showed on the site, on which the models are extreamly classy.Its not an opionon of anyone on this site, so I hope no one takes it personally.

The models used on each of the sites that have been mentioned are all classy and handpicked for their look and modeling abilities. I do not feel that any one choice is better then another, nor do I think that any one girl is classier then another (and class is not determined by what you wear.) Knowing quite a few of these models personally, I can say that they are all nice people who love what they do.

For Viviene--here is the suit I have that reminds me of the one you are selling:

47b7dc04b3127cce820a19d56df400000015108AatmbRq2ctP

I agree with Daisy--I would love to see some pictures, Mojito!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Cute!

My grandma snapped this pic of her friends on the beach in So Cal c. 1946-47 (sorry for the poor quality - it is a digital shot of an enlargement of the original snapshot). The gals were all grads of Hollywood HS & Manual Arts HS in LA, class of '44. There sure seemed to be a wide varity of styles to choose from at that time - the really daring ones went for the new two piece. My grandma herself was wearing a white one piece this day, much like the one I posted earlier (partly why I bought it) :)

Pictures%2FPICT1400.JPG

Viviene

Vendor
Wow! That suit is very similar. I've been trying to find a model in my area but the only person who contacted me was a young man who was pushing his girlfriend. I really did not feel comfortable with that. I asked to speak to her by email instead and he would not allow it. That is not something I'm going to get involved with.

So I think I'll do some more creative shots and see what I can come up with. This suit has no tags whatsoever and there is absolutely no wear at all to it. I think you're right when you say it needs an actual live person in it (which was of course my fear).

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Decobelle, I can't see your picture for some reason, and I am just dying to see it! :)

So I think I'll do some more creative shots and see what I can come up with. This suit has no tags whatsoever and there is absolutely no wear at all to it. I think you're right when you say it needs an actual live person in it (which was of course my fear).

Fear not; I bought mine based on pictures of it lying flat. Now might be a great time to sell it with VLV looming on the horizon, and new eyes searching for that perfect ensemble to wow the crowds this year. :)

Also, what if you came across a vintage ad for a similar suit, and posted it in the auction as well? There is a particular eBay seller who always includes vintage photos with her hat auctions--it really adds to the appeal of the item for sale.

Mojito

One Too Many
Love that photo, Jitterbugdoll! How very Bette Grable. That shade of blue looks so perfect on a blonde.

Thanks for all the comments on the Bathing Belle win. Two members of our group had cameras, so I'm wangling discs of their shots from them and will post when they become available. My friend asked me to pose in front of some vintage cars, so those should be good images. I'd also like to show some of the other costumes, as they were all fantastic - I found myself saying that to a reporter, and it wasn't until after I'd said it I realised it was a bathing competition cliche ("all the other competitors were so wonderful!"). True, though. I also won the best original vintage outfit for a black beaded 1920s flapper dress, so had a marvellous time...particularly for someone as acutely shy as I am!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
oh dear... let me try it again! I have trouble posting pictures - am not sure what I'm doing differently the times that it doesn't work.

Okay, here goes (crossing fingers)

Pictures%2FPICT1400.JPG

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Love that photo, Jitterbugdoll! How very Bette Grable. That shade of blue looks so perfect on a blonde.

Thank you! Actually, I was dressed as Betty Grable for the costume contest at a USO event--I won first place in fact. I dress as Betty at this event, as they prominently feature the B-17 The Sentimental Journey at the museum in which in which it is held, and she is adorned with Betty in her famous pose. :)

I still can't see it, Decobelle. :( Can you trying loading it into something like Shutterfly? That always works for me on this board.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Sorry everyone... :eusa_doh: thanks to a very kind person's tutorial, I may have figured out how to do this (if not, it is certainly not the fault of my tutor)

47b7dc04b3127cce818b68f13d7600000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

I can't look....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe