Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

rue

I didn't mean to start an issue with this thread and it wasn't started to hurt anyone's feelings and unless you are the artist or the writer, I don't think it should. I just thought it would be fun and I think everyone here is being pretty goodnatured about it and just teasing a bit. I'm not a music critic, but I know what I like and don't like.

In fact, I like the music you mentioned Lady Day (Talking Heads, New Order, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, The Church and Depeche Mode). Reminds me of my teenage angst years ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well said. Anyone can say "Joe Blow sucks," but where a thread like this gets interesting is when people explain *why* they feel that way. What is it about Joe Blow that sets you off? Or is it that he just isn't to your taste? Why not?

There are a lot of things that aren't to my taste. Rock doesn't make any sense to me, because it simply wasn't part of the culture I grew up in. The kids in my neighborhood didn't follow it -- they were more interested in baseball than in bands -- the local radio stations didn't play it, nobody in my family listened to it, it was never a part of my soundtrack growing up, so I never connected to it. It's a language I don't speak. That doesn't mean it *sucks*, but it isn't anything I feel compelled to learn about either. I heard enough of it when I was working in radio, and my reaction was just -- feh.

But if others find merit in it, fine. I don't like onion soup, either, but that doesn't mean other people can't eat it and enjoy it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rue, sweetie, its totally not about hurting anyone's feelings.
I think this thread is good natured, especially after what I said about Sanitra (and I was scared, too!) :biggrin:

When I was in art school, my teachers always told me when I critiqued something, explain why you do or don't like it. Saying just yay or nay isn't good enough. I totally respect different tastes, Im just curious to know why you like/hate a musician. Perhaps Ill learn something.

LD

rue

Rue, sweetie, its totally not about hurting anyone's feelings.
I think this thread is good natured, especially after what I said about Sanitra (and I was scared, too!) :biggrin:

When I was in art school, my teachers always told me when I critiqued something, explain why you do or don't like it. Saying just yay or nay isn't good enough. I totally respect different tastes, Im just curious to know why you like/hate a musician. Perhaps Ill learn something.

LD

Thank you Lady Day :)
I was beginning to think this was going to be a 'down with rue' thread lol I'm overly sensitive about being disliked or hurting anyone's feelings, so I was worried. It's a terrible problem of mine :eek:

I agree about telling why or why not someone likes or dislikes certain music :)

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I was the music director for the local FM station for about 3 years and although my primary focus was jazz I had to listen to an awful lot (emphasis on awful) of incoming indie rock. I finally had to give it up because my personal tastes conflicted with the need of the station to stay "current". The easy & cheap availability of recording software has made it possible for almost anyone to produce a CD, regardless of talent. Without naming names what I miss most in the current music scene is strong melodies. All the great popular songwriters of the first half of the 20th century had them as did the Beatles, whether you like their performances or not. Couple the lack of melody with the tendency for vocals to be either mumbled, whispered, rapped, or autotuned & you've got a recipe for bad music.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I found this thread to be hilarious and amusing. lol I'm a psychology student so it speaks to me in that way, also!! Hehe!

Other's people's tastes have always fascinated me ever since I was a kid and I always wanted to know why or why not. I mentioned I liked Milli Vanilli and other "fake" bands earlier in this thread. I like them because I think the music is catchy, fun, unpretentious, and carefree. It's mindless pop that makes me dance in my chair at work and ALWAYS puts me in a good mood.

As LM said, music is the soundtrack to my life. I grew up obsessed with it and was born just in time to grow up with MTV. I love insipid pop music as well as the great classics. I love all music and all genres from the 1890s to today. I have genres and time periods I like more than others -- 1930s crooners and girl harmonies, punk, 1980s music (especially 80s alternative), and modern rockabilly. There are genres I dislike -- real 1950s music, modern hip hop and rap, death metal (ugh!). But all throughout my life I have dabbled in every musical style at one point or another. I can appreciate it all (some more than others lol)

Last edited:
Listening to music amplified to the point where your ears ring is like drinking ice-cold beer -- it's a very effective way of covering up a lack of quality.

I could name many concerts where this was the case. Geez, you walked away and your ears rang for hours. :eusa_doh:I suppose the wouldn't have to turn it up that loud if the crowd would shut up and listen to the music.:rolleyes:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've been offline for a few days, and I have to ask -- am I reading right? A 42-page thread in just six days? That's got to be some kind of record, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe