Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

MissMittens

One Too Many
What? No mention of Rod Stewart, Natalie Cole, or Celine Dion yet??

[video=youtube;I-W5ND6wj_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-W5ND6wj_A[/video]

I was dragged, kicking and screaming, to a Salin....sorry, Celine concert 2 yrs ago. Not only did I hate EVERY SECOND of the show, but her nasaly voice worked its way through the earbuds of my iPod when she was singing this song.

In the spirit of brotherhood, I'm sharing that pain with you :eusa_clap

MissMittens

One Too Many
And I would venture to say that the sound of your being dragged there, kicking and screaming, would be far less grating on the ears, and nerves, than that Fronch-Canah-day-un's mega-wannabe-vibrato...

The French-Canadian accent, from any other woman's mouth, would be like words making love to my ears. From Celine, it's like someone taking a cheese grater to my ears:puke:

[video=youtube;I-W5ND6wj_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-W5ND6wj_A[/video]

I was dragged, kicking and screaming, to a Salin....sorry, Celine concert 2 yrs ago. Not only did I hate EVERY SECOND of the show, but her nasaly voice worked its way through the earbuds of my iPod when she was singing this song.

In the spirit of brotherhood, I'm sharing that pain with you :eusa_clap

I'll take your word for it. I know, as I stated before, the Titanic song stinks so this could possibly be as bad or worse. :eeek::eek:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The French-Canadian accent, from any other woman's mouth, would be like words making love to my ears. From Celine, it's like someone taking a cheese grater to my ears:puke:

Yeah, otherwise that accent can be sexy. Boy, she looks like a washboard in that video. I don't care for Shakira's "warble" style, but I'll take her over Celine.

Last edited:

rue

I think it's quite on-topic, actually -- because it ties right back into the whole discussion of "Bixing" -- the assumption that somehow a performer *is* his or her addictions, and without them they'd have somehow been lessened as performers. I don't know as I agree with that.

I can name any number of highly successful radio performers, for example, who never had a problem with booze or dope. *Most* radio entertainers, in fact, were clean -- some drank, certainly, but rarely did they drink to excess. Those who did tended to either give it up fairly soon, or they fell by the wayside and were forgotten. The pressures of broadcasting live, of coming up with fresh material on a regular all-consuming schedule, *required* sobriety. The performers who turned themselves over to the bottle or the needle didn't last -- because they *couldn't* last. I think that's true in most fields of show business -- but it doesn't seem so, because of the tendency to sensationalize and romanticise addictions.

I see what you're saying and I agree, but I think for those that are say alcoholics are using the booze as liquid courage. Some just don't need it, so they don't have issues. In the case of Belushi or even Chris Farley, I think that without the drugs they wouldn't have had the courage to act the way they did. I hope that makes sense.

rue

What? No mention of Rod Stewart, Natalie Cole, or Celine Dion yet??

Here you go Widebrim:
[video=youtube;OIlHt_syoSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIlHt_syoSE[/video]
[video=youtube;F01aLeErvoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01aLeErvoU[/video]

by the way, I've been front row at his concert and he is really really short. I'm 5'4" and I felt tall lol

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Come on people. Is this the 'I think this artist sucks' thread? Are we in high school? lol

There is a difference between not liking an artist and them not having talent. There are TONS of artists I dont listen to, but they do have talent.

Richard Cheese is more of a musical performer, in my eyes. And he does what he does very well. You might not like it, but it takes talent to make the lyrics of a Brittany Spears song tolerable. Celine Dion I *guess* can sing, but her talent is SO milquetoast compared to her popularity, and her auto-tuner.

Christine Augularia (sp) has a voice, but she can't sing. No one taught her how. And now that shes famous, no one will ever teach her how. Because apparently now days famous people dont think they need to learn anything, and people who can instruct them are too afraid to do so.

As for the funk bands... Earth Wind and Fire is AWESOME!!! Sorry. If all you know are their hits which many have said themselves are nowhere near representative of a lot of artist you all like, then you all are missing out.

And I unapologetically love Talking Heads, New Order, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, The Church (one of my favorite bands) and Depeche Mode. All old and modern stuff.

LD

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Lady Day, thats the potential (and here, realized) problem with a thread like this: the difference between 'I dont like' and 'that is bad.' Not everyone (here) is a qualified music critic (heck, not even all professional music critics are qualified), able to understand and hear what is 'right' and 'wrong' with a piece of music, harmonically. But we can all have an opinion about what we like and dislike.

Berlin

Practically Family
Well...the thread has the word "opinion" in it. You like them, or you don't. Talent or not.
And as far as how I think of it; you can't have knowledge of music, like many people claim to have. Music is an emotion.
And here; it's just a matter of taste whether you like it or not.

Hope it makes any sense what I am saying with my language difficulties. :redface:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is a science to music, sure. There is technique, and artistry and skill. All of that is translated when an artist plays, hence preferences are formed.
This thread was diving into a 'this artist sucks' thread, just because. Which does nothing more than turn this into just one more of the many complaint threads we have on the lounge.

That's all I'm saying.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe