Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate A-1?

mr_lits

A-List Customer
My GW cape A1 has been getting a fair bit of use with the mild winter up here. Might be my favorite jacket right now. Really dig the grain of the back.
IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3412.jpg

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Too much for the RMJ IMO

Do you want "military" A1 or civvy "A1"/Cossack? There are 1000 varying options out there; if wanting true military I'd go w/CBI and get in line for a GW (maybe go non-tradtional and get it made in Shinki), and at the same time take Skyhawk up on his offer and get a seal with olive knits one in goatskin (my preference over cape- just a matter of taste)

Otherwise, consider the following and go nuts!

Collar: Knit or leather; shawl, mandarin or standard point

Front pockets: patch or slash

Sleeve ends: knit or leather

Front closure: button or zipper

Waist/Hem: knit or leather

Knit color (if getting knits): russet, dark brown, olive or wild-style burgundy!

I'm a huuuuuge fan of the civvy button front shawl collar Cossacks myself. Himel's Heron is the first to really blow up the scene with them, I'd say they're the gold standard. But I just can't stomach the price tag. There are countless other takes on this style to choose from today (3 yrs ago it was pretty much a Heron or an LVC Menlo); many of which are considerably cheaper. Eg Bill Kelso Aeronaut or Mister Freedom Campus.

[URL =http://s291.photobucket.com/user/Maverickson-152/media/pl 001.jpg.html]
pl%20001.jpg
[/URL]At the price of one (1) RMJ, my vote would be to get two (2): a seal w/olive knit Headwind (for the military), and a shawl collar BK Aeronaut (for the Cossack). Bam!

Now new and improved & to meet with some of your criteria!

All done to 1930s Monarch pattern.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave

thor

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up my first A-1 jacket off eBay; it's a Willis and Geiger sized 46 Tall that I scored for $120. Love the design, the fit is perfect for me and the details and workmanship are very nice. I suspect that this may lead to a future A-1 purchase of a more bespoke nature :D
image.jpg

thor

Call Me a Cab
The W&G is a nice bright mahogany/russet brown (like a dark butterscotch color?). It's got a one-piece back, cotton lining, wool knit cuffs & waistband and the buttons are all secured with smaller retaining buttons on the inside (nice touches for an off the rack, lower-priced garment). I've seen other W&G A-1 jackets on the 'bay advertised as capeskin leather but I cannot confirm this. Label only states genuine leather. The hide has a lightweight feel with good drape and a fine grained finish. I don't think it's goatskin but maybe cowhide? Maybe capeskin? It's darn nice! The perfect "beater" A-1 spring jacket and one that will get a lot of wear once the warmer weather gets here.
I can definitely see this leading to a more authentic A-1 purchase down the road. These really are handsome lightweight jackets!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 505
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 495
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 493

Forum statistics

Threads