Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate A-1?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1 If you're willing to throw that sort of money at a jacket, go with GW or an Aero and luxuriate in the knowledge of the craftsmanship that's gone into something made just for you, rather than off-the-rack. If you're fixed on getting a similar A-1, Aero's current seal Vicenza is stunning, the equal to Shinki, and they also stock olive green knits.
For Real McCoy's these days, you would want to get them off the rack. Their QC is getting worse and worse.
As for custom made jackets and suits, it is difficult to get it "right" the first time. Also I have seen custom makers making mistakes, so many pros and cons.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thought I'd post pics of each of the major brands for comparison. I def want the green knits; have too many all brown jackets at mo.

McCoy:

Mccoy.jpg

Aero:

Aero.jpg

Eastman 50cal:

Eastman 50CALjpg.jpg

Eastman standard:

Eastman.jpg
\

Goodwear:

Goodwear.jpg
Headwind.jpg

Bill Kelso:

Bill Kelso.jpg

It's really all about the leather with these jackets, isn't it? It has to look beautiful, have an irresistible patina and get better with age. Aero's standard non-FQHH doesn't fit those criteria, really, and not sure all these jackets here do, either.

Last edited:
And, while I LOVE that jacket above, an A-1 to me should have a lighter hide that drapes nicely. Since it's not a proper A-1, I don't mind the heavy hide. The A-1 needs to have that "look" and that to me is a light/med hide.
Most of the other examples above are good - really good!

CBI

One Too Many
If you are doing a photo spread of all of the contenders, might as well include Bill Kelso.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
CBI, thanks for the tip. Kelso duly added. It's rather nice. And capeskin. And slim-fitting: don't like the bagginess of some of the others.

Kelso have spruced up their website, I notice.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The NorShor rocks, with the Aero a close second. The McCoy didn't hit me the same way it initially did. There are some crazy gnarly photos of it somewhere on here.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I 'settled' for lesser jackets until buying my RMC jacket and have not looked back since. Now, the other brands you mentioned are amazing. However, if the RMC is EXACTLY what you want and really just feels right while wearing it, then it is absolutely worth it! Ultimately, we cannot see in your mind and figure out just how much you love that jacket. If you can find it cheaper in Japan however, I would go that route. That's what I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld