Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate A-1?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers: been a while since I posted on the forum and I'm doing so now to seek your advice. I am sorely tempted by the Real McCoy's A-1 and keep visiting the London store like a jewel thief casing the joint.

Question is: is it really worth the money? Or would an Aero, say, at less than half the wedge, be almost as good?

And does anyone here actually own one?

Sir J

mr_lits

A-List Customer
I have a Goodwear A1 that is one of my favorite jackets, the capeskin is buttery soft and wears incredibly well. Only issue with GW is the wait, but ohhhh... it's worth every penny.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I tried the seal one on in the Real McCoy shop, and it was lovely but I'm really not sure if it's of a magnitude better than Aero, ELC or GW to justify the £1,595 price tag.

I love the color combo of the RMC, and it feels soooo good on (Shinki), but it is pricey.
The GW looks the part for my $$. I wonder if JC would do the dark seal with olive knits.....

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice looking jacket but that's crazy money.

For mere mortals I don't know if any jacket is worth that much.

It's easy to say life is too short if it's someone else's money lol

Jump on the GW waitlist, get it custom and to your measurements for a lot less. Half the fun is the anticipation anyway....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
+1 If you're willing to throw that sort of money at a jacket, go with GW or an Aero and luxuriate in the knowledge of the craftsmanship that's gone into something made just for you, rather than off-the-rack. If you're fixed on getting a similar A-1, Aero's current seal Vicenza is stunning, the equal to Shinki, and they also stock olive green knits.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SJ, I was just checking out their peacoat, which is going for over $800.00, when I thought about the one I bought at am Army/Navy a long time ago for $40.00 (and which I still think of as one of the nicest, most luxuriously cozy coats I've ever owned. Is their version really worth 20x the price of that first one, even figuring in inflation? I've been considering the Headwind A-1 in capeskin that's going for $500.00 or so. Is this one really worth 4x the Headwind? Don't mean to sound like an apostate, but there's something about those kinds of prices that bothers me.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I am not too keen on the A1 purely because of the button front. I prefer the the A1 variation made by Norshor with a zip. Is period correct also. Just slightly different.

Best looking piece I ever owned was a GW A-1, now owned by @Worf.
Keep looking at them and thinking. Crazy nice jacket, and you almost never see anyone with one outside of a couple forums.
Thumbs up. Do it ;)

CBI

One Too Many
The RM A-1 looks cool but go for the GW A-1 with the latest cape. Its worth the wait. I also really like ELC's time worn A-1. The "wear" added to the jacket may not be exactly how cape "wears" but its an awesome looking jacket. Maybe buy a Headwind A-1 to get you through the GW waiting period.

I own and ELC and GW A-1. I owned a very early GW A-1 and as well as one from The Few.

Skyhawk

Vendor
The RM A-1 looks cool but go for the GW A-1 with the latest cape. Its worth the wait. I also really like ELC's time worn A-1. The "wear" added to the jacket may not be exactly how cape "wears" but its an awesome looking jacket. Maybe buy a Headwind A-1 to get you through the GW waiting period.

I own and ELC and GW A-1. I owned a very early GW A-1 and as well as one from The Few.

I have handled the GW A-1 and they are really very nice.

A few notes on the Headwind A-1. We offer full custom service for $50. Not only in sizing but we also have the following options:
Knits - 100% Wool: Med Brown, Dark Brown, Brick Red, Olive, and Black
Hides - Russet Capeskin, Seal Capeskin, Black Capeskin, Seal Goatskin, Black Goatskin.

We can certainly make a Black A-1 with Olive knits if desired.

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
I have recently purchased an A-1 jacket from headwind mfg co and can say without doubt the build quality imo is the equal of the several eastmans ,buzz ricksons, real mccoy and aero jackets that I own

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
The olive knits one? Go for it. Life is too short.

Nick, like your style.

Thanks the rest.

Sloan, yes, did think about the Vicenza option with olive knits.

That Shinki is serious beautiful, though. Possibly even more so than Aero's FQHH. I also have a lot of Aeros.

I wonder who is buying the RM at £1,500. It's £500 less in Japan.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Nick, like your style.

Thanks the rest.

Sloan, yes, did think about the Vicenza option with olive knits.

That Shinki is serious beautiful, though. Possibly even more so than Aero's FQHH. I also have a lot of Aeros.

I wonder who is buying the RM at £1,500. It's £500 less in Japan.

My experience with Buzz, Toys McCoys etc is that there is significant price differential between the two prices and it's worth the while importing, just make sure the size is right!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Too much for the RMJ IMO

Do you want "military" A1 or civvy "A1"/Cossack? There are 1000 varying options out there; if wanting true military I'd go w/CBI and get in line for a GW (maybe go non-tradtional and get it made in Shinki), and at the same time take Skyhawk up on his offer and get a seal with olive knits one in goatskin (my preference over cape- just a matter of taste)

Otherwise, consider the following and go nuts!

Collar: Knit or leather; shawl, mandarin or standard point

Front pockets: patch or slash

Sleeve ends: knit or leather

Front closure: button or zipper

Waist/Hem: knit or leather

Knit color (if getting knits): russet, dark brown, olive or wild-style burgundy!

I'm a huuuuuge fan of the civvy button front shawl collar Cossacks myself. Himel's Heron is the first to really blow up the scene with them, I'd say they're the gold standard. But I just can't stomach the price tag. There are countless other takes on this style to choose from today (3 yrs ago it was pretty much a Heron or an LVC Menlo); many of which are considerably cheaper. Eg Bill Kelso Aeronaut or Mister Freedom Campus.

At the price of one (1) RMJ, my vote would be to get two (2): a seal w/olive knit Headwind (for the military), and a shawl collar BK Aeronaut (for the Cossack). Bam!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The RMC will always be in the back of your mind if you decide to not get it!

With that said, as mentioned, plenty of more financially sensible options. Perhaps you could go for a great jacket at 1/2 the price and use some of your savings to donate to charity or use for some last minute Holiday shopping? That might be an ultimately fulfilling course of action just the same.

That's been me this year. I've had the dough but have just been splurging on Christmas gifts. Tbh I wish I'd kept the dough for another jacket or to hold onto that AN-6552 but eh! Here's the hoping I accumulate $200 to get a Brooks cafe racer knockoff of something...

Happy Holidays Sir Jacket. Don't you have some olive incarnation jacket already? I think I remember a past review you did. Anyhow, whatever happens, happens. Have a lovely Holidays.

If you've been back more than once to try it on, then you've been bitten.
Nothing else will do. If you compromise, you will always be haunted by the jacket that "got away".
Find the best price and buy the one you dream of. Save yourself the pain.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld