Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I saw that suit on the bay and was very tempted to bid on it as it was my size. In the end I decided not to, and I'm glad that it found another great home! :D

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I didn't bid on it because I thought it would run astronomically high. Hyena, you seem to have picked up for a song - congrats. Has the market for belted-backs collapsed?

I saw that suit on the bay and was very tempted to bid on it as it was my size. In the end I decided not to, and I'm glad that it found another great home! :D

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
That kind of a waistband is common in Swedish 1940's suits. I have seen similar flat front trousers in American suits around 1945 too. I am not convinced it belongs in the thread actually. The jacket however gives a bit of a 30's vibe but it could still be a newer suit. And the legs were wide too right?

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
30s or 40s for these two suits?

I'm still learning when it comes to men's vintage. I picked up these two suits today, are they 30s or 40s? The blue one is in fabulous condition, I'll do photos of that one first and do the brown one in the next post. The blue one is a nice navy, my camera is horrible on color as it's just a point-and-shoot that usually over-exposes. Jacket is tagged size 36, chest measures 40". Pants w/Talon zip: waist 30", inseam 30", rise 12", cuff 9.25". Fabulous condition! These are called pin stripe, right? Both are double breasted but oddly, the blue one buttons closed with two buttons but the brown one with only one button used for closure. Are there certain key words I should use or other measurements I should note when I list them for sale?
Editing to add: Hart Schaffner & Marx, Nebraska Clothing Co, Omaha
Thanks!

P1070449a.jpg P1070450.jpg P1070453.jpg P1070455.jpg
P1070460.jpg P1070458.jpg P1070459.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes it is a pinstripe fabric and dates from the 1940's.

The Union label (the top label) is the type used from 1939 to 1949.

Lovely specimen. You did good in buying this one. Show the brown one please!
There is nothing odd about the brown one closing with one button. That's just a different style of double breasted suit coats.

BTW it is always useful to give the length of the sleeves.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
And the brown one...

No union label or size label. "British Royal" styled for King Brooks Inc, Detroit. Jacket chest measures 42" so I suppose that would make it a size 38. Pants w/Conmar zip have waist 36", inseam 27.5", rise 14.5", cuff width 9.5". The pants have some condition issues: a couple darned repairs and a few tiny holes.

P1070471.jpg P1070472.jpg P1070477.jpg P1070461.jpg P1070462.jpg P1070463.jpg P1070468.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Another great one - again clearly 40's, likely mid to late 40's (dropped belt loops and the buttoning with quite long and wide lapels).

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
You mean of the trousers? Measure the width of the cuffs, knees and tighs (at the height of where the crotch ends).

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Can you give further info on the origin?
The photos remind me of the presentation of suits from the DoW.

Last edited:

DamianM

Vendor
It came from an estate sale in iowa.
Its a 40 R
and its no longer available.

The fact that it is a 3 piece
Fish mouth peaks
and a great variation on the shark gill back

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
I am so happy to hear it's a 40R. If that had been my size, the fact that it's "no longer available" would've driven me to insanity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe