Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

barrowjh

One Too Many
Resistol Beaver 100 3 3/8 brim 3 cord ribbon 7 1/8 1965 - 1972

I posted pics of this hat back in August 2013 when it was acquired, but here are a couple of reminder shots -

I visited Buckaroo Hatters last Saturday and looked around for a western hatband that would go well with this hat, and this was the choice -

A really nice tooled leather band by Brad Martin, here's his signature -

Mike Moore did a tidy lace-up at the back -

Very pleased with this hat!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Wow. The surface of the felt on your 100 seems to be like cream. I can compare that to only one hat that was a 100 we had here. I can see your 100 has a nicer close soft texture. Resistol has always been one of Daniel's favorite hats.

barrowjh

One Too Many
LMM, the felt is awesome, the 'feel' is soft, but the time frame for that hat tells the story. It was a run of hats made for Earle Cabell, a Texas congressman, so that dates it to 1965 - 1972, and the felt is relatively stiff. He probably gave these to his largest contributors. The felt is plush soft to the touch, but the hat is not soft.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Resistol Cattleman 5X

while getting the X-mas tree down, I found one of my old western hats from back in the 1990's, a Resistol Cattleman 5x. Its covered in dust, but once I get it cleaned up and reshaped, its going to be my new (old) weekend hat. I only have an old picture of me wearing it, but when its cleaned up I will post better shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 242

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey Everyone!

I found another 3X Beaver Western at a flea market yesterday. The felt is in great condition, very clean, no odors and it's even my size! This is the condition that I found it in.

20141228_2045250-vi.jpg
20141228_204548-vi.jpg
20141228_204654-vi.jpg
20141228_204833-vi.jpg
20141228_204917-vi.jpg
20141228_205221-vi.jpg
20141228_205357-vi.jpg

The color looks a little off true in the photos. Actual color is a very light tan. The stamp on the inside of the sweatband reads Genuine Sheepskin. The union tag is on the backside of the size tag. Liner logo is plastic covered, sorry about the lousy pic. Crown is 5" with a 1 3/4 deep crease, brimis 3 1/2 inches. So, my questions are: is this enough info to narrow down a date of manufacture range? Also, I'm not sure of the model, unlike my Top Rail, the paper tag with information is missing. And, I have heard of the Fort Worth crease wuith the "mule kicks" in front and back, is that what that deep dent and bent up back part of the crown are, or is that just a casualty of being found in a flea market? It looks a lot more pronounced than other examples of the FW that I have seen.

Thank you all in advance for all help! :)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Yeah,that's kind of what I was thinking too. I'm not a huge fan of the cattleman so I think I'm going to steam it out to open crown and decide whatto dowith it later. I don't know much about western crown styles so I guess I'll be doing some research.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the crown charts...very helpful. And, Joao, I was thinking the same thing looking at that beautiful beaver 100 on the last page with the fedora crown treatment. The Tycoon crown also looks like it might be a winner.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A couple of my Resistol Stagecoach projects. The crowns on these hats were orignally quite tapered. I bought the Chestnut colored Stagecoach for an Indiana Jones fedora conversion project. I changed my mind and thought I'd do something a little different. I decided on an Indy / Western hybrid instead. I squared up the crown a bit and gave it a generic Indy crease. Afterward, I sewed on a vintage dark brown 8 ply ribbon with a campaign style bow....

Before the re-block:

Resistol_Stagecoach_chestnut_01.jpg

After the re-block:

Resistol_Reblock.jpg

Stagecoach_Indy_02.jpg

Stagecoach_Indy_01.jpg

Western_Indy_02.jpg

My Silverbelly Stagecoach project with a Center Dent crease. I was able to square up the crown a bit on this one too. I'll sew on a thin ribbon with a campaign style bow this weekend...

Before the re-block:

Resistol_Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Western_01.jpg

After the re-block:

Reblocked_Stagecoach_01.jpg

Reblocked_Stagecoach_02.jpg

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Nice job on both of those.I really like the brim on the Indy hybrid. I don't know if I'm going to keep this one as a western however. I'm thinking of converting it to a 2 3/4 inch brim fedora so I'll get more use out of it. I'm just not into the western style enough to have 3 cowboy hats.

My friend is going through all her old sewing stuff to try to find some vintage millinery ribbon for me. Hopefully she can find me a bunch of interesting stuff to dress it up with. :)

I'll post results when it's done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe