Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Landman

One Too Many
How do Resistols tend to size up? Generous or small for tagged size?

Richard,

I'm in between sizes and a long oval. My head measurement that I use for my custom hats is 23 3/8" long oval. I have found that my vintage Resistols run a little smaller in size when compared to my vintage Stetsons.

For example, normally a vintage Stetson 7 3/8 will fit me a tad tight but still wearable. A vintage Resistol 7 3/8 is usually too tight to wear. On the other hand, a vintage Stetson 7 1/2 is usually a tad big but a vintage Resistol 7 1/2 is a great fit.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Mike - sounds like US 7 5/8 will be the way to go for me.

You are welcome!

It seems the sizing has carried over to the new Resistols and Stetsons too. A new Resistol 7 1/2 fits me very nicely and a new Stetson 7 1/2 is a tad large.

One other note (and this may just be pure luck) but it seems I have run across more long ovals in vintage Resistols than vintage Stetsons. The same goes for new models too. Resistol still makes long oval westerns and I don't believe Stetson does. I'm not sure about that but I can't remember ever seeing any new Stetsons in a long oval.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I have the same problem trying to find a hat that fits me too. I'm also between sizes except that I'm finding Resistols running a bit large for me. I don't have real early vintage Resistols though. Mine are 1960s and 1970s vintage...and they're Western hats. So there might be a difference in fit from the earlier vintage compared to the more recent vintage from the 1970s and up. For me, Stetsons are all over the place regarding fit. I have several that are all the same size. Some fit me perfectly and others are too tight. It's hard to fit a Long Oval. I have a Stetson LO that fits me perfect and I have a Knox 15 version LO in the same size that's too tight. I'd love to buy one of the new Stetson Premiere Strats but I'm afraid of running into the same problem with the fit since I don't believe they come in Long Ovals (?)

.... I'd love to buy one of the new Stetson Premiere Strats but I'm afraid of running into the same problem with the fit since I don't believe they come in Long Ovals (?)
I'm a LO & close to an XLO. New Premiere Strat is soft enough to conform to my oblong noggin & my 7 5/8 size seems to run a touch large. New felt with new sweatband typically tighten up with wearing.

Landman

One Too Many
LBJ Resistol

I have posted this in the "Hats with History" thread but thought it should be here too. This is a Wide Country 3X Beaver made by Resistol for President Lyndon B. Johnson. Harry Rolnick of Resistol Hats was a friend and supporter of LBJ. Resistol made these hats in different sizes for President Johnson so he could give them away to friends and visitors.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Governor Egan Resistol

Here is another Resistol that was given by Harry Rolnick to Alaska's first Governor, William A. Egan. The sweatband states it is a Three X Beaver Governor's Special with Governor Egan's name also imprinted on it. It is a size 7 3/8 and has the same dimensions as a Resistol San Antonio or a Stetson Open Road. The hat appears to have never been worn or creased and came with the original box. Also in the box was one of Harry Rolnick's business cards.

Gov_Egan_Hat_301.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_303.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_304.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_305.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_306.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_307.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Wow, before this I did not know that Churchill and McAndrew were Resistol-related. I sort of knew they were HATCO-related, and I have seen a chart where Churchill was under the Resistol name, but for some reason I thought that was after the Byer-Rolnick era. Per that business card, they were definitely contemporaneous. I just love the Resistol shield gold crest in the un-lined tip. That, the Borsalino oval shield, and the embroidered last-drop (Stetson) make me cringe at not bidding.

Landman

One Too Many
I love the gold shield Resistol liners too. The liner itself is a heavier satin (or whatever it is made of). I have several of them and they are very comfortable.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a beauty Joao.

Being a long hair you can probably reduce the appearance of the moth bites by going over the areas with a pin, and carefully teasing the felt.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Bought that Resistol 8x Shantung for a while at a flea market. It was a bargain for 12 EUR, so I could not resist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe