Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

"City Hustlers" could make a living & never have to go on the road. Every town had one or two.

IMG_9893.JPG

IMG_9890.JPG

And then there were gals like VIcki Paski (1981) who had guys lined up just to hand them their money.

IMG_9888.JPG

IMG_9897.JPG

"City Hustlers" could make a living & never have to go on the road. Every town had one or two.

Loved those kind of places that we no longer have around here. No place I'm aware of anymore where you can rent a rack. They're all money tables. We had a place I spent too much time at called Rocket City Cue Club owned by a former pro and studio musician, Johnny Tona.

Loved those kind of places that we no longer have around here. No place I'm aware of anymore where you can rent a rack. They're all money tables. We had a place I spent too much time at called Rocket City Cue Club owned by a former pro and studio musician, Johnny Tona.
In the little town where I grew up we had a 2 chair barbershop up front, then the poolroom thru Saloon doors to the back. 8 tables. My grandpa worked right next door so I spent a lot of time in the poolroom waiting on him to go home. An old farmer who was a City Hustler taught me how to play over a couple yrs time.

1962: Taking part in ribbon-cutting ceremonies for the opening of a new Tony Lama boot factory are, from left, Mayor Judson Williams, Joseph Lama, Mrs. Tony Lama Sr., Angelina Faulkner, Tony Lama Jr., Tony Lama Sr., Teresa Weber, Louis Lama and Commissioner Rogelio Sanchez.

View attachment 147956

Bob, I've seen numerous photos similar to those though I don't remember this particular one. Such a great reminder of what used to be an industry almost exclusive to this country. Sad those days are gone and I can't imagine how those folks in the pics would feel about their industry today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken