Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read from your posts, I know you're doing better than a lotta folks, but you're still 'one of us' so to speak. I respect that your'e a self-made man and that you care about your employees and about doing right in general. I just wanted to say you deserve a lot of respect for that. Here's to you, friend.

In some cases this is true, however there are some of us business owners that do tend to think of what we do for our customers as being top notch and have a great deal of pride towards our end products. I do work for an income, but what I do with the money I make is not just for myself.

My wife and I travel and seek locations for Animal Shelters that are in need of financial assistance. I have been totally in charge of a compound that houses unwanted children in Belize, right on the outskirts of the city of Orange Walk. The budget for that runs fairly high and I have never allowed any outside sources to become involved with it as I do not like how many "charity" organizations are nothing more than a way for the select few running them, to become well off.

I have been at one time, the president of a car club. During that time of my life, I had more than one time paid off someone's home mortgage due to the person losing a job, paid for a few funerals for members that died in auto accidents and provided financial aid to the surviving spouse. Am I a rarity as a business owner? I don't think so. I know other people that have the same level of thinking about what can I do to help others that are in need. Even some famous people that are actors or are into professional sports and some in the music industry, do so very much to help other people with their money.

I know you may have heard of J.K. Rowling, the fine lady that wrote the Harry Potter stories. You may not know it, but she on her own donated the largest amounts of cash to the MS society for years on end. She is a terrific person.

I guess what I am trying to say is that not everyone that has some money is only concerned about being rich.

My family would be considered upper middle-class. We're working hard right now, with hopes to be making millions in the future. Now, it's not just for us, it's to make sure our family is always comfortable and never is dirt-floor poor. We've been there. It ain't fun.

We always do discuss that if we are making the big bucks one day and have plenty of time and money to do whatever we want. We will donate ourselves and our money to charitable causes. Not for fame, or for recognition, but because you SHOULD give back.

In fact, of the genuinely rich people I've known -- I mean seriously rich, old money people, the sort who were vacationing in Maine a hundred years ago and their descendents still come here -- most have been decent, down to earth sorts. It's the upper-middle-class strivers who'd stab you in the back for half a dollar you most have to worry about -- and these are the ones who tend to be the loudest in their worship at the Freidmanite shrine.

This man
had it right. This man I respect.

This is true.

That's decidedly not a path best traveled.

This is also VERY True.

Sadly, that's the attitude that allowed it to flourish.

PoohBang

Suspended
Geez I was watching the news the Postal Workers are striking for a cause to help them. My heart goes out to the Postal Workers and I hope they will have a job and that things get better. I cannot imagine what "mentally challenged" morons made things such a mess, that our Postal service is in jeopardy.....

is that a double negative? Morons are already mentally challenged. And I guess that morons would be us, the customers of the post office, since we're sending less letters and emailing instead.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
is that a double negative? Morons are already mentally challenged. And I guess that morons would be us, the customers of the post office, since we're sending less letters and emailing instead.
No...I refer to those that have a label we are not allowed to discuss on this site...the "powers that be" folks.....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
From what I've read from your posts, I know you're doing better than a lotta folks, but you're still 'one of us' so to speak. I respect that your'e a self-made man and that you care about your employees and about doing right in general. I just wanted to say you deserve a lot of respect for that. Here's to you, friend.

My family would be considered upper middle-class. We're working hard right now, with hopes to be making millions in the future. Now, it's not just for us, it's to make sure our family is always comfortable and never is dirt-floor poor. We've been there. It ain't fun.

We always do discuss that if we are making the big bucks one day and have plenty of time and money to do whatever we want. We will donate ourselves and our money to charitable causes. Not for fame, or for recognition, but because you SHOULD give back.

This is true.

This is also VERY True.

Thank you kindly.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
To skirt the issue without raising a issue on the lounge that is forbidden to discuss, the Post Office is trying to vacate a past bill that forces them to pay a multi billion dollar price tag for retirement funds and to do so in such an advanced way, it is sinking them financially. The "morons" I refer to are those that decided to enact the bill for the Post Office to "pre pay" that funding in advance.

We as customers using the internet, have not made that much of a dent into the profit they make in general. Myself, I use the U.S. Mail much more than I do the internet for personal and business applications.

I agree. My family has a name on a college building, that was built because of a large donation and I'm proud that it's there .... or was.... it's been a very long time [huh]

I always wanted to have something named after me. :)

I can see it now.... :eek:

Victor C. Brunswick State Penitentiary :eeek: :eusa_doh::mad:
never mind! :(

emoticon-cartoon-013.gif

Edward

Bartender
I'd find it hilarious, given my complete and utter non-interest, to have a sporting venue named after me. If I got to choose, I'd love to have my name associated with an academic building when I'm gone, especially with a cross-disciplinary facility that reflected my own interests. I'll never have that sort of money, so. [huh]

It could be worse. Lucas Oil products are good products I use them myself. Now think if some pansie name was used like, Fruit of the loom Dome.....

I had some Fruit of the Loom bits years ago, they were pretty good quality-wise. I understood they produced a lot of sportwear, so it would seem entirely appropriate for them to sponsor a sports venue. Makes more sense to me than some beer company or whatever aimed at persons of a lifestyle that isn't consistent with the peak of sporting excellence..... but, as I say, I have no interet in sport, so what do I know? [huh]

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I always wanted to have something named after me. :)

I can see it now.... :eek:

Victor C. Brunswick State Penitentiary :eeek: :eusa_doh::mad:
never mind! :(

emoticon-cartoon-013.gif
That is a funny one!

I don't know, maybe I have some issues with my personal thoughts at times, but I have always thought it would be rather a grand thing, to have a "cat house" in Vegas with my name on it. The most famous ones there that I know of (should say have heard of....hahah), are the Mustang and Chicken Ranch. I think it would be rather nice to see one with a name, "Love My Hats, TOO!" Weeeeeeeee hahahahaha!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I'd find it hilarious, given my complete and utter non-interest, to have a sporting venue named after me. If I got to choose, I'd love to have my name associated with an academic building when I'm gone, especially with a cross-disciplinary facility that reflected my own interests. I'll never have that sort of money, so. [huh]

I had some Fruit of the Loom bits years ago, they were pretty good quality-wise. I understood they produced a lot of sportwear, so it would seem entirely appropriate for them to sponsor a sports venue. Makes more sense to me than some beer company or whatever aimed at persons of a lifestyle that isn't consistent with the peak of sporting excellence..... but, as I say, I have no interet in sport, so what do I know? [huh]

You are correct the brand name, Fruit of the Loom makes a fairly decent product, but the name, "fruit of the loom" holds no manly term to it, and would not be anything at all aimed towards something oriented to sports per say, unless (the humor here now, nothing personal to anyone at all) unless the sport were on the "gay" side of things...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I think the dumbing down of tv certainly helped with the dumbing down of America...
We stick to the History channel, Discovery, A&E, Military, Biography (not the celebrity stuff), channels where you learn something.

IMO, even the History Channel has taken a nosedive in quality, as much of their programming deals with speculative crud like angels, UFOs, biblical characters, end-of-the-world scenarios, and reality shows like "Ice Road Truckers." I think this new direction is just as bad as their fixation on Hitler and his wretched rabble and the channel's rubber-stamp approval of the US military-industrial complex. Seems like they're tailoring their programming to a generation's fetishes. The Greatest Generation with WWII and the Cold War and the Boomers with their quasi-spiritual hokum. I guess my generation will have to endure Grunge documentaries and endless pontification about the "miracle" of the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael