Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

rue

In fact, of the genuinely rich people I've known -- I mean seriously rich, old money people, the sort who were vacationing in Maine a hundred years ago and their descendents still come here -- most have been decent, down to earth sorts. It's the upper-middle-class strivers who'd stab you in the back for half a dollar you most have to worry about -- and these are the ones who tend to be the loudest in their worship at the Freidmanite shrine.

THAT is a VERY true statement.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, from this thread, I think they grind up monkeys, add flavoring......:p
I don't know if there is even something as worthy as monkey in those burgers from the WC! Least now I am tending more to lean towards something like, earth worms, crickets, june bugs, and an occasional hogs hoof...

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
No, there's no attitude, I'm simply following the time-honoured advice of not discussing it at the dinner table, or in this case, the public forum.
Humm...we do have to be careful and not really desire to discuss some things, for sure. And to add some of it, is more than not like wanting to discuss how much wax is really on a banana in the store?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Don't ask, don't tell, don't resist.
I had some visitors come to my home and had to leave this thread for perhaps an hour or so, and now I am coming to find out some very secret password seems to be handed out and I was not in line for mine! So the mere mention seems to be that of a politically correct snafu regarding those that are a bit what would you say, swishy, has entered into the fray? Or do I need to just silently await for my lapse of observation to be restored with another shot of 100 octane coffee?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is true and the same thought I had.
At least in your daughter's case, the name wasn't on the building, on every piece of letterhead and even the name of the street the building is on. :p

Don't worry. When someone comes along with more money, they will just rename the building. And then for years and years after, the building will exist as the "old Smith building" and the "the one they renamed Adams." And confuse a ton of innocent people.

A university campus I worked on, the figure was $8 million to get a building named after you. $2 million gets you a lecture hall. Anything less results in nothing, but don't worry, they'll still take your $10. ;)

Another university has a bridge where graduates can buy stepping stones for supposedly $100,000 a pop and have their names carved on them. An interesting fact is that some stones were bought in 2000 by alumni parents/ grandparents who listed their child's/ grandchild's graduation year as 2009. They must be banking on that donation having results.

Pompidou

One Too Many
At the end of the day, if a good cause is being supported, or a good deed is being done, it doesn't matter if a person gets a reward for it, or for that matter, does it for a reward. Doing good is doing good. If it takes a namesake building to encourage large scale philanthropy, at least large scale philanthropy is being accomplished. Since the building was going to be named something anyway, it seems like nothing but win. There are a lot worse people to commemorate than those who give substantially to worthy causes, after all. I wouldn't mind having a building named after me.

rue

At the end of the day, if a good cause is being supported, or a good deed is being done, it doesn't matter if a person gets a reward for it, or for that matter, does it for a reward. Doing good is doing good. If it takes a namesake building to encourage large scale philanthropy, at least large scale philanthropy is being accomplished. Since the building was going to be named something anyway, it seems like nothing but win. There are a lot worse people to commemorate than those who give substantially to worthy causes, after all. I wouldn't mind having a building named after me.

I agree. My family has a name on a college building, that was built because of a large donation and I'm proud that it's there .... or was.... it's been a very long time [huh]

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My comment was meant as a little tongue in cheek. I wouldn't mind a building named after me either (being able to donate that kind of money would be awesome). However, the idea that donating that money leaves a permanently named building on a campus isn't true in many cases. And the monetary bar is very high to get your name on a building, politics of how that happens aside. I've benefited from such things for many years.

However, I'd be pretty upset if the campus was constantly renaming buildings due to donations (it really, truly is confusing to rename a building- I've been through it). I'm not fond of renaming of buildings where the original name is someone who made a non-monetary contribution to the university (such as the founder or someone else who was instrumental), but the building is renamed for someone making a monetary contribution. This suggests placing money over other types of contributions, which may or may not be the case.

I especially would find renaming disturbing when it was a alumni/ student/ faculty/ staff initiative to have a building originally named "such and such"- which means that many small donations resulted in the original name- but a single large donation renames the building. I especially find this disturbing if those that contributed are still alive and protest the name change.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The 'HoosierDome' was renamed..the 'RCADome' (people threw a fit)....and now it's been upgraded to the "Lucas Oil Stadium'...:puke:
It could be worse. Lucas Oil products are good products I use them myself. Now think if some pansie name was used like, Fruit of the loom Dome.....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez I was watching the news the Postal Workers are striking for a cause to help them. My heart goes out to the Postal Workers and I hope they will have a job and that things get better. I cannot imagine what "mentally challenged" morons made things such a mess, that our Postal service is in jeopardy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael