Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking out the Craigslist free section. I find it funny that someone wants to give away two palm trees---unfortunately they want you to dig them up first.:rolleyes:
I know Mark Twain's characters used to con people into thinking work was fun but this is work for sure---I know---I have removed one before. It would be cheaper to go buy one. :p

I threw the television out years ago. There is no bigger time thief than television. Now a days I only have a flat screen (Just the screen, not a flat screen tv) conected to my video and dvd players. This way it takes a lot more to want to see it. I have to decide to see a movie or a series on dvd.

Agreed. For those of you out there who think you have no time for anything, here's something to think about. Watching one less hour of TV a day in favor of more meaningful activities will give you the equivalent of 45 8-hour days per year of free time.

Agreed. For those of you out there who think you have no time for anything, here's something to think about. Watching one less hour of TV a day in favor of more meaningful activities will give you the equivalent of 45 8-hour days per year of free time.

Some of the stuff on TV is so boring, I fall asleep in front of it anyway so I make up for any loss with catching up on sleep. :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Old time radio had its less than stellar moments as well but it wasn't eviscerated as television is today. Whining was not as prevalent back then as it is today.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Old time radio had its less than stellar moments as well but it wasn't eviscerated as television is today. Whining was not as prevalent back then as it is today.

Radio until about 1945 hadn't yet descended into formula, and by that time it had less than a decade left of active life as a serious entertainment medium. It didn't live long enough to become as irredeemably horrible as television has become today.

(Although if you count what radio devolved into in the years since the mid-fifties, you could argue that it has turned into an even deeper, more feculent cesspool than TV.)

Radio had its critics, though -- as early as 1939 the women's magazines, especially, were seething with complaints about the trashy, worthless serials that filled their kids with blood and thunder nonsense every afternoon. Jack Armstrong, despoiler of a generation.

Last edited:

rue

I dunno about that. I find that for me the bigger time thief is this here Interwebby thingybob. ;)

Yeah, but with TV you sit and watch show after show for hours. On here you can get up and leave and come back to it even a month later. I should know..... I had to leave for three weeks and was barely on and although I wondered what was going on, I was fine. This coming from an FL addict too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael