Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Doh! said:
"It's the Blues Brothers!"

You told me about this, but I didn't hear it when it was said. I've been wearing suits with fedoras a lot more often lately and I have to say that the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. I usually get at least one compliment a day, which is nice for the ego.

Thinking about it, I realized that I always wore clothes that were somewhat off the mainstream. Dressing as I do now in a classic style is simply a continuation of that. As our culture becomes more casual (even most corporations accept "business casual" as the normal dress code), I have chosen to go the other way and dress to the nines. It's a kind of rebellion against monoculture and in some ways is more radical than dressing punk, emo, goth, or whatever.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a crack about the way I dress to my face, because my response will be something like, "You're right. I'll rush right out and get a baseball cap with a Nike swooshstika on it and a $60 t-shirt with "Abercrombie" across the chest. Or maybe I'll get some $80 sweat pants with "Juicy" written on the butt. Now that's cool, and I want to be cool, right?"

hargist said:
I'm still waiting for someone to make a crack about the way I dress to my face, because my response will be something like, "You're right. I'll rush right out and get a baseball cap with a Nike swooshstika on it and a $60 t-shirt with "Abercrombie" across the chest. Or maybe I'll get some $80 sweat pants with "Juicy" written on the butt. Now that's cool, and I want to be cool, right?"

Keep that one for a rainy day. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i was asked to day by one of my funny co workers....

"you know who you look like ???"

I said "Mark Easter with a jacket and a hat on."

no one said anything else...

mark the shoeshine boy

hargist

One of the Regulars
This happened to me just last week. I walked into the elevator at my office. I was wearing this suit:

ml2.JPG

A woman who was already in there looked me up and down and said, "James Cagney," to which I replied, "No, Tom Hargis. And you are?"

True story.

hargist said:
This happened to me just last week. I walked into the elevator at my office. I was wearing this suit:

ml2.JPG

A woman who was already in there looked me up and down and said, "James Cagney," to which I replied, "No, Tom Hargis. And you are?"

Depending on how she looked,"No, Tom Hargis. Are you Rosanne Barr?" Rosie O'Donnell works too. :p They'll probably think its a compliment. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Doh!

One Too Many
I've mentioned this before, but I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of trying to insult a total stranger for how're they're dressed. For instance, the frat boy in my example was a white boy dressed in sideways ball cap (shocking, I know) and t-shirt. But it never crossed my mind to blurt out, "Look, everybody -- it's Eminem! Rap for us, dude!!" Some people just weren't raised properly I suppose.

By the way, Tom, that's a GREAT photo of you near the window. (And I'm not just saying that because I took it.)

Nic Charles

Familiar Face
Dumb Comments

The only suits I own (and wear) were made in the 1930s or 1940s. The same goes for my hats. I have to admit, besides the usual, "Are you a Gangster?" comments, most folks are quite complimentary, "You look like Gregory Peck!" or the like.

The dumbest thing I ever heard, was told to me a day later. A group of us went out for dinner, dressed to the 9s, and I wore a tux and my wife wore a wine colored gown made from a vitage pattern. Just to set the scene, we were in a VERY small town. To confuse matters, a bachelorette party in a bus showed up at the restaurant just after we arrived. Before we left, I made a point to jump on the bus and give the future bride a kiss, and I thought I'd never get out! (Never dress like us on a bus full of drunk women!) The day after, rumors were spreading that there was a big wedding the night before, and some couple with their party made a night of it on the town. Guess who the "Wedding Couple" were? You guessed it, my wife and I.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, and trust me, don't be part of a group of guys in suits and fedoras around drunk women. Particularly not at the Observation Bar on the Queen Mary during a ghost hunter convention. lol lol lol

I've only gotten the Blues Brothers comment when I wear my black suit, black stingy, skinny black tie and Ray-Ban Wayfarers. ;)

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Canadave said:
OK, we now know it's a Blues Brothers reference, but what does it mean?

David

In the movie, there was a couple of modern day Nazis chasing after the Blues Brothers driving a early 70's Ford Pinto. It was a stupid humor type of movie, but I still liked it and love the Blues Brothers.

blues.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Nic Charles said:
The only suits I own (and wear) were made in the 1930s or 1940s. The same goes for my hats. I have to admit, besides the usual, "Are you a Gangster?" comments, most folks are quite complimentary, "You look like Gregory Peck!" or the like.

I still love the response someone(Wild Root? Where is he lately, anyway?) here once gave for the 'gangster' comment...

'Assuming I am a gangter / in the mafia / etc, do you think it would be safe to ask?' ...said completely deadpan and holding eye contact.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
The Wingnut said:
I still love the response someone(Wild Root? Where is he lately, anyway?) here once gave for the 'gangster' comment...

'Assuming I am a gangter / in the mafia / etc, do you think it would be safe to ask?' ...said completely deadpan and holding eye contact.

Yes. The same look that our avatars are giving. That look certainly works with my kid.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I just got back from Borders Books picking up a copy of Classic Style. The checkout guy said my hat was "Pimp". I assume that was a compliment, much better than the last one I got.

And Wild Root has retired from the Lounge. You can communicate with him via MySpace if you need to. He's still up to no good;) .

vonwotan

Practically Family
I don't know whether anyone else heard this - but a few years ago, on three or four occasions people whistled the theme song or otherwise made reference to Inspector gadget. What made the comments particularly goofy was it did not matter what type of hat or coat I was wearing - the second movie may still have been in theaters at the time?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Muzz said:
Nobody here in Seattle looks at or speaks to eachother, so I'll proably never hear any comments! I actually wouldn't mind a "Gangster" or an "Indy" at least someone would be speaking to me!

I got comments on the loudspeaker and then applause approaching the checkstand at the local QFC when I stopped in for some ice cream on the way home from dinner a couple weekends ago with Barbi (Barbigal) & Marv & Angelica & Matteo (Reetpleat) in my dead-stock 50's sportcoat & stingy-brimmed brown Fedora. Something, of course, that wouldn't happen had I not been almost the only one in the store or had it not been so late.

DeSica

New in Town
havershaw said:
Weirdly, when I was in England recently (wearing my three-piece tweed 30s suit seen in other threads and my brown Borsalino fedora), I heard "Sherlock Holmes" - more than once, and more than a couple of times. Now, to be fair, these were teenagers...but I got it at least five times during my travels - though I think I only got it with the tweed suit on.
I get "father" and "grandfather" constantly. I kind of dig that, actually.

Sherlock Holmes? Were you wearing some sort of cape and smoking a pipe...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe