Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffer

Practically Family
I had a guy call me Dick Tracy in Florida. I was travelling, in a straw fedora and blazer.

Another guy on the plane asked if I was heading to the races, but I am sure that was the straw pork pie that caused that.

A local female bartender is going to dress as 'me' next halloween. Sure to be a hit with the locals.

Oh, I forgot, my best friend has used this one a couple of times, it cracks me up.

"The forties called, they want their look back."

griffer said:
I had a guy call me Dick Tracy in Florida. I was travelling, in a straw fedora and blazer.

Another guy on the plane asked if I was heading to the races, but I am sure that was the straw pork pie that caused that.

A local female bartender is going to dress as 'me' next halloween. Sure to be a hit with the locals.

I am not sure how she is going to dress as you but I suppose she can have at it. [huh]
Dick Tracy in a straw fedora?! That would have gotten a Pruneface comment back from me. ;)
Going to the races? No man, I am a bookie. You want to place a bet? I can give you good odds. :rolleyes: :p

Regards,

J

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
From a co-worker the other day - "I see you're wearing your gangster outfit today" Bear in mind, she's 50 years old.

In a Starbucks a while ago, whispered by a middle-aged man to his female companion such that I wasn't supposed to hear - "Look, it's stupid hat day and nobody told me!"

I also get "Indy" and "Indiana" alot which I guess fits since I was born there. I've also heard "Bogart," "Bogey," and "Howard Hughes."

staggerwing said:
From a co-worker the other day - "I see you're wearing your gangster outfit today" Bear in mind, she's 50 years old.

In a Starbucks a while ago, whispered by a middle-aged man to his female companion such that I wasn't supposed to hear - "Look, it's stupid hat day and nobody told me!"

I also get "Indy" and "Indiana" alot which I guess fits since I was born there. I've also heard "Bogart," "Bogey," and "Howard Hughes."

Response one: And I see you are wearing your Thelma Harper outfit from Mama's family today as well. :rolleyes:

Response two: Nope its stupid comment day and you are right where you should be. :rolleyes:

Howard Hughes: Where do you work so I can buy the place and fire you? :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Howard Hughes: Where do you work so I can buy the place and fire you? :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

I used to have a friend I'll call "Jed" because it rhymes with his real name and because he was a little bit like Jed Clampett from TV. Jed usually dressed in overalls and work boots because he was a pig farmer. He was also from a wealthy family and had a seven figure bank account. Back in the early '80s western or "cowboy" hats were all the rage for a while and trend follower that he was, Jed bought himself one. He and I were seated in a local watering hole one night and Jed was proudly wearing his new hat when the girl behind the bar told him to remove his hat or she would not serve him. Jed explained that it was in keeping with the rules of proper etiquette to wear one's cowboy hat at the bar. She told him to take off his hat, or leave. Jed got up and walked out. He looked up the owner, made an offer, bought the bar, and fired the waitress.

staggerwing said:
I used to have a friend I'll call "Jed" because it rhymes with his real name and because he was a little bit like Jed Clampett from TV. Jed usually dressed in overalls and work boots because he was a pig farmer. He was also from a wealthy family and had a seven figure bank account. Back in the early '80s western or "cowboy" hats were all the rage for a while and trend follower that he was, Jed bought himself one. He and I were seated in a local watering hole one night and Jed was proudly wearing his new hat when the girl behind the bar told him to remove his hat or she would not serve him. Jed explained that it was in keeping with the rules of proper etiquette to wear one's cowboy hat at the bar. She told him to take off his hat, or leave. Jed got up and walked out. He looked up the owner, made an offer, bought the bar, and fired the waitress.

I've heard it happen more than once. Sometimes people ask for it though. A guy with a lot of money and a vindictive streak can certainly ruin your day. :p

Regards,

J

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Robin Hood? I don't get people sometimes...

The other day I was going somewhat casual: saddleshoes, green patterned trousers, off-white/tan button shirt, brown wool tie, A2 flight jacket and an 'Open Road' style fedora.
One of my history professors walks by and starts whistling the Indiana Jones theme song. Some things trigger the strangest responses...
Billy
Oh, almost forgot, later someone started whistling the Andy Griffith theme song also.

thunderw21 said:
Robin Hood? I don't get people sometimes...

The other day I was going somewhat casual: saddleshoes, green patterned trousers, off-white/tan button shirt, brown wool tie, A2 flight jacket and an 'Open Road' style fedora.
One of my history professors walks by and starts whistling the Indiana Jones theme song. Some things trigger the strangest responses...
Billy
Oh, almost forgot, later someone started whistling the Andy Griffith theme song also.

A History professor?! You would think he would know something about the movie. I would ask him if that was the theme to Hogan's Heros.
Andy Griffith?! Now how does that work? When did he ever wear a hat? The only one who wore a hat on that show was the town drunk. Gee, thanks dude. You got something stuck in your throat? :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Lancealot said:
I just kind of stood there looking at her like she had grown a second head.
Now Indy or Bogey I expect, but Robin Hood?[huh]

Robin and the Seven Hoods, perhaps…

131.gif

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
my history teacher took my hat after class today, and looked it over.
I was worried he would say something like I couldn't have my hat on my desk, or something like that. Instead he said something to the effect of, "late '30's? early 40's?" he commented that it was a great hat, and he hadn't seen anyone wearing one that nice in a long time.

MattJH

One Too Many
I haven't worn hats long enough to collect a nice rolodex file of dumb comments, but today as I walked into work with my Winter Tilley on (in Philadelphia, it's FRIGID), a co-worker commented that I was missing my "spurs." My mouth opened, poised to spill out a verbal schooling on the difference between a cowboy hat and a... Tilley(!), but I thought better of it and just told him it definitely is not a cowboy hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe