Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not long ago I ran across a picture of myself taken at the Cicada club,
it was on someone's MySpace photo album page,
where they had labeled it "pimp".
Well, that's about the sort of comment one can expect from
a big (levee, levée, embankment, floodbank or stopbank)...
stupidest-calls-me-pimp-2.jpg

Brinybay

Practically Family
RondoHatton said:
Not long ago I ran across a picture of myself taken at the Cicada club,
it was on someone's MySpace photo album page,
where they had labeled it "pimp".
Well, that's about the sort of comment one can expect from
a big (levee, levée, embankment, floodbank or stopbank)...

Amazing how some people can be so rude and ignorant. About equal to the "pimp" remark was one I heard tonight. I was explaining to a friend about FL, and he said "Well, is this a gay group? Usually gays are into clothes and stuff." I almost slapped him.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Brinybay said:
Amazing how some people can be so rude and ignorant. About equal to the "pimp" remark was one I heard tonight. I was explaining to a friend about FL, and he said "Well, is this a gay group? Usually gays are into clothes and stuff." I almost slapped him.

This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I visit my local library quite often. On my way in today, a child looked at his mom and said "he looks like an Amish guy". Two step further, I was at the counter to pick up my orders, and the librarian, with whom I'm friendly, said "you look just like that guy from Curious George." "The man with the yellow hat", I asked. "The man with the yellow hat" she affirmed.

Apparently, I'm an Amish guy in a pea coat and an OR who loves adventures with monkeys.

You learn something new about yourself everyday.

Justdog

Practically Family
Homophobic remark

Jerekson said:
This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

That remark is a reflection of homophobic insecurity and probably the inner fear involved of defining masculinity by something other than knuckle drag marks on the ground;) Were they wearing a "TAP OUT" tee shirt?

Jerekson

One Too Many
Justdog said:
That remark is a reflection of homophobic insecurity and probably the inner fear involved of defining masculinity by something other than knuckle drag marks on the ground;) Were they wearing a "TAP OUT" tee shirt?

I'd bet $5 they were, or at least something real similar. LOL

Brinybay

Practically Family
Justdog said:

No, just an ignoramus. I should clarify that he wasn't really a "friend", just an acquaintance from another recreational activity we're both involved in, I don't have contact with him other than that. An otherwise ok guy, (or so I thought), I was really disappointed with that remark. At the very least, his listening skills are lacking because I wasn't talking entirely about attire, but the overall Golden Era interests of FL folk.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
I was wearing my Hat People cap the other night and some drunken fool managed to slur out "hey huhuhuhuh nice tophat huhuhuhhuhu. what huhuhu fine don't shake my hand." (complete with Beavis and Butthead laughter)

Yes, that was pretty much it word for word...well, there may have been a vulgar little comment directed at him after he said it I probably shouldn't include here.

Jerekson

One Too Many
tracyam said:
I was wearing my Hat People cap the other night and some drunken fool managed to slur out "hey huhuhuhuh nice tophat huhuhuhhuhu. what huhuhu fine don't shake my hand." (complete with Beavis and Butthead laughter)

Yes, that was pretty much it word for word...well, there may have been a vulgar little comment directed at him after he said it I probably shouldn't include here.

Wait...what the hell kind of cap did you say this was? Like an 8-piece, right?

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
I usually get positive comments on wearing my hats But today of all days I was a leaving convince store and a young guy walking in said "You look dumb in that hat" I replied "And you look like a goof but I can take the hat off." Thank you Winston Churchill!:D

Jerekson

One Too Many
Teekay44 said:
I usually get positive comments on wearing my hats But today of all days I was a leaving convince store and a young guy walking in said "You look dumb in that hat" I replied "And you look like a goof but I can take the hat off." Thank you Winston Churchill!:D

What a jackass (him, not you).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Brinybay said:

So if you're into clothes, and a male, you're homosexual...Unfortunately, this perception is more common than one would think.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
JohnnyGringo said:
By this point in time most all of my co-workers have grown accustomed to seeing me show up at work dressed in dress shirts and 40's-50's ties/bowties and fedoras. Most everyone has always been very complimentary, I might add, until today. Upon returning from the Post Office this morning, I walked into the Credit/Billing Office still wearing my early 50's Richman Brothers Overcoat and Dobbs 15 to find our Housekeeping Supervisor "slacking" -while her staff does all of her work, I might add-at which point she began laughing. I said, "Sue, what are you laughing at?" to which she replied, "You look like someones Grandfather!" I so badly wanted to say, "Gee, and you look like a maid in a cheap hotel, so what's your point?"-but of course I didn't. First, I didn't want to insult the many hardworking maids employed in cheap hotels, and secondly, this woman is usually dressed in old jeans and sweatshirts, which explains her regular choice of fashion statement. I know I really should just consider the source, but she really got under my skin. Considering that I am old enough to be someone's Grandfather, and my overcoat actually had belonged to my Grandfather, (who gave me my first Stetson Fedora at age 15) perhaps her comment should have been taken as a back-handed compliment. Nonetheless, to her I say... [huh]

Definitely an example of that "numbskullery" word coined by Carldelo. The point is, most people in the U.S. are not used to seeing folks dressed up anymore, except maybe at formal functions (and how many people actually go to those?). Add to that a hat, and it's open season...:eusa_doh: What gets me, though, is how women don't usually recognize that a dress or a skirt and blouse, with hose, heels, and maybe a hat looks so much more appealing than dingy jeans, a faded t-shirt, and flip flops. Even tailored trousers with flat shoes and a feminine blouse looks much better. It least it does to me!;)

Justdog

Practically Family
Comment

Brinybay said:

If he would have said it me I would have let him have it with my clutch lol lol lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Teekay44 said:
I was a leaving convince store and a young guy walking in said "You look dumb in that hat" I replied "And you look like a goof but I can take the hat off." Thank you Winston Churchill!:D

I will have to remember that, its a good one.

I don't understand why the stereotypical viewpoint is that if a male cares about their appearance, they must be homosexual. Its almost as those the "traditional" masculine viewpoint is to not give a damn about personal appearance. Since when is one's clothing interests directly linked to their sexual orientation?

:eek:fftopic: It reminds me of the comments I used to overhear back in high school. Students would use "gay" as a derogatory word towards tests, assignments, and other things. The argument I would give now is "since when did a piece of paper have a sexual orientation?"

ScionPI2005 said:
:eek:fftopic: It reminds me of the comments I used to overhear back in high school. Students would use "gay" as a derogatory word towards tests, assignments, and other things. The argument I would give now is "since when did a piece of paper have a sexual orientation?"
I've had to correct my son a time or 2 about saying "...that's so gay!" about all kinds of things, especially in the company of a lesbian couple that are friends. It seems to have replaced "...that's so lame!" gtd

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
I've had to correct my son a time or 2 about saying "...that's so gay!" about all kinds of things, especially in the company of a lesbian couple that are friends. It seems to have replaced "...that's so lame!" gtd
It irks me only because it's indicative of culture and society at large. Regardless of that person's beliefs, it just shows that homophobia isn't only tolerated, it's a social norm. On the other hand, only the straight kids in our GSA ever bring it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82