Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
funneman, after seeing your pic, I reminded myself of why I want to start wearing a pocket watch. The darn left sleeve gets hung up on my wristwatch and I end up with an asymmetry problem. It bugs me to no end!

Love the look though, the spectators go great with the hat!

funneman

Practically Family
flylot74 said:
funneman, after seeing your pic, I reminded myself of why I want to start wearing a pocket watch. The darn left sleeve gets hung up on my wristwatch and I end up with an asymmetry problem. It bugs me to no end!

DOH!:eusa_doh:

Love the look though, the spectators go great with the hat!

Thanks for the kind words.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Columbo very seldomly wore a hat. :eusa_doh:

That's true, here is a rare photo with him in a hat, and he looks good! as a matter of fact, when i think of Columbo i always imagine him with hat [huh] i think he should have made the hat part of his character!;)

columbo2.gif

KatintheHat

Suspended
Columbo is one of the best. Hat or not.

The only one to come close since is "MONK." No hat.

I think the comedic value detective started with Miss Marple and Poirot.

They all grew out of Sherlock though. The comedy of that was covering up his cocaine addiction.

I'm kind of a junkie for such mystery films. The old films are a great source of hat exhibits.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Falk/Columbo - Mitchum/Marlowe

HadleyH said:
That's true, here is a rare photo with him in a hat, and he looks good! as a matter of fact, when i think of Columbo i always imagine him with hat [huh] i think he should have made the hat part of his character!;)
columbo2.gif

Hadley, Truth be told, I think you like that photo because it is very reminiscent of Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe. Hmmm.... ;) :) :cool2:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Hadley, Truth be told, I think you like that photo because it is very reminiscent of Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe. Hmmm.... ;) :) :cool2:

lol:p ... well...err.... ok ,yes ,you might be right there carter! :D lol

KatintheHat said:
Columbo is one of the best. Hat or not.

The only one to come close since is "MONK." No hat.

I think the comedic value detective started with Miss Marple and Poirot.

They all grew out of Sherlock though. The comedy of that was covering up his cocaine addiction.

I'm kind of a junkie for such mystery films. The old films are a great source of hat exhibits.

You forgot to mention The Shadow. From your avatar, I would think that would be a top one on your list. ;) :p
Oh and Sherlock wore a hat whether it be a tophat, deerstalker or homburg as sported by Jeremy Brett.
221bstr2.jpg

jerb.jpg

Then there was the Brown bowler Watson wore as well. :
burke.jpg

I just don't associate a hat with Columbo. His trademark is the rumpled trenchcoat. :D

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
I've gotten a few, but th two most recent were "dude, thats a fly hat" which my response looked like this: o.0 ...interesting word choices from youngsters these days :rolleyes:

Okay, this isn't a dumb comment, it's a compliment, but your post made me think of it.

I'm a PhD student, but I'm taking a beginner's Italian course that is full of mostly freshers. The only person in the class older than me is the teacher (and he's fairly young as well). A few weeks ago I walked into class wearing my WWII British greatcoat and fedora. One of the guys looks up and says "Dude, you look absolutely hench in that!"

The next time I saw him he asked me about the coat, too.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I think I haven´t written this one yet:

Me and some of my friends went for a visit to our old high school and one of my friends told me that I look like a "jewish missionary". Yes, I had a black wide brim fedora, but still - a missionary? He later explained that my coat looked like some kind of habit - even dumber lol

btw, has anyone of you ever heard of jewish missionaries?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I suspect your friend was thinking of Chabad.....which could be confused.

They have -outreaches- in unusual places, near universities etc. but in general those are outreaching to the Jewish there already, not converting non-jewish to Judaism.

If your friend is college aged...this is probaly what he means, having seen Chabad gents around campus.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
funneman said:
I was wearing my brown Adam Executive and a grey suit at work the other day, my boss told me I looked like a rabbi.

Yes, I've been told I look like a conservative Jew (jokingly, by my friends) when I wear certain things, particularly longer (below the knee) black skirts with a modest sweater.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
If your friend is college aged...this is probaly what he means, having seen Chabad gents around campus.
Impossible, there is nothing like that here. I have never seen even a czech orthodox jew...
He just said the first thing that came on his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82