Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
I didn't know what it meant exactly, so I looked it up online, it's 'big, strong, or muscular; someone you wouldn't want to mess with'.

That sure sounds like a henchman. I wonder which came first; does it mean that because that's how henchmen are, or are henchmen called that because that's what "hench" means?

carldelo

One Too Many
Henchman

WildCelt said:
That sure sounds like a henchman. I wonder which came first; does it mean that because that's how henchmen are, or are henchmen called that because that's what "hench" means?

From the compact OED online:

henchman
• noun 1 chiefly derogatory a faithful supporter or aide, especially one prepared to engage in underhand practices. 2 historical a squire or page attending a prince or noble.
— ORIGIN from Old English hengest male horse + MAN, the original sense being probably a groom.​

There is also hench-boy and henchwoman. Hench is listed only as a variant of 'haunch'.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Wasn't a comment, but as I sat down on the train today with my Sears leather jacket and Fed IV, two girls across from me looked at eachother with what seemed to be disgust and attempted to hold back laughter. I didn't care though, people just aren't used to seeing Fedoras these days, unless they're the low crown stingy brims. More than two people have commented on my Fed being a "cowboy hat".

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Cowboy...wasn't there some dirtbag throwing up on him/herself to give them something to giggle at?...Or maybe you were just the best dressed and they didn't know how to handle it...
I've spent a lot of time on NYC trains...and people will stare for the oddest reasons...:eek: :D

Randal

Familiar Face
I was at a children's birthday party last night and one of the mothers there looked at my Stetson and said "That's a pimpish hat you're wearing".

shakeshead Really? "Pimpish" is the best adjective she could find?!? shakeshead

Most other people say something like "cowboy", "Indiana Jones", or "Crocodile Dundee".

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

This one is not really dumb, it is more of an odd sort.

I am having a conversation with a friend in the street. I am wearing my 40's Mr. Disney. Then, a man (which I did not know) approaches and says "I love this hat", and a couple more of similar compliments. I thank him and he leaves. Then, seconds later, he comes back, and says "I wanted to make clear I was completely serious with my earlier remarks". :)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Torpedo said:
... Then, seconds later, he comes back, and says "I wanted to make clear I was completely serious with my earlier remarks".
l.o.l. How funny that in this society in which sarcasm is a second language, one must go to such lengths to point out that a compliment is in fact sincere!

Jerekson

One Too Many
This afternoon I went to see Australia for the gazillionth time and what I could only assume was the manager of the theater went beserk at my hat. He was totally excited...he shouted out several times that he loved my hat and it looked like Indy's and he was just really inent on me knowing that. I was caught pretty off gaurd by it and I honestly just started cracking up (which I think he enjoyed), then I tipped my brim to him and took off, and he seemed pretty satisfied. I coudl tell from his tone that he definitely liked my hat in all sincerity; he was also black, and probably was pretty comfortable with hats.

Around my area though I really don't get much flak at all, and if I do it's overwhelmingly positive. I live in the kind of place where people are pretty free to do what they want, and I've seen some strange stuff around where I live - whether it be girls wearing extra weight's worth of white and pink makeup or a young man wearing a suit, fedora, cape, white gloves and carrying a pack of playing cards constantly. All this considered, me wearing a nice hat is pretty unoffensive most of the time.

I've gotten maybe 5 comments in my life that ever made me self-conscious, and I can't even remember what they were anymore...

A month or so ago I traveled to a neighboring city for a fundraiser/convention sort of thing and I had a bit of an odd encounter. I was wearing my brown Akubra. A small child, I would have guessed him to be anywhere from 6 to 8 years old, walks past me with his posse and whips around shouting "You look like a COWBOY, man! That's a COWBOY hat!!!" HAHA!!!!"
I can tell you quite honestly it was meantto be insulting...this wasn't the kind of inncocent look-at-the-cowboy-mommy sort of thing I usually get from kids, this was full-blown egging on...
Just kind of blew me away honestly to see such a young kid with an attitude like that...
I looked at him for about 5 seconds and realized that he was just waiting for me to react, so I said "yeah" in a pretty noncommital tone and resumed my photography. He took off with his entourage and continued on...

I was considering reacting differently, but...let's face it. I'm not going to stoop to the level of engaging in public shouting matches with 6 year-olds.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
I didn't know what it meant exactly, so I looked it up online, it's 'big, strong, or muscular; someone you wouldn't want to mess with'.

If he wasn't speaking clearly, could he have said that you look "mensch"?

Mensch being a Yiddish term meaning someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character.

Cheers!

Dan

carter

I'll Lock Up
Catching up

jamespowers said:
Look at Hadley's avatar. She can like whatever she wants. ;) :D
Do I have to? :eek: :eusa_doh:

Ok, I did. :whistling :whistling

Yes she can. :D

donCarlos said:
Me and some of my friends went for a visit to our old high school and one of my friends told me that I look like a "jewish missionary". Yes, I had a black wide brim fedora, but still - a missionary? He later explained that my coat looked like some kind of habit - even dumber
hmmm...a Jewsih missionary (no such thing) wearing a habit (traditionally worn by a nun)? [huh]
Your friend appears to be faithfully challenged.

Jerekson said:
I was considering reacting differently, but...let's face it. I'm not going to stoop to the level of engaging in public shouting matches with 6 year-olds.
That, my friend, was a very mature decision. :eusa_clap

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
...I live in the kind of place where people are pretty free to do what they want, and I've seen some strange stuff around where I live - whether it be girls wearing extra weight's worth of white and pink makeup or a young man wearing a suit, fedora, cape, white gloves and carrying a pack of playing cards constantly...
I would love to see pictures of this gent!

Jerekson said:
...I was considering reacting differently, but...let's face it. I'm not going to stoop to the level of engaging in public shouting matches with 6 year-olds.
What a wasted opportunity! I would relish the chance to match wits with such a strongly opinionated young cad.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Slim Portly said:
I would love to see pictures of this gent!

What a wasted opportunity! I would relish the chance to match wits with such a strongly opinionated young cad.

I know the feeling of Wasted opportunities, today I had a lady get a bit huffy with a friend of mine...well...about a friend of mine, who slipped past an elderly lady in a very crowded room, she didn't mean any disrespect and I seriously doubted she even SAW the lady...a middle age lady proceeded to bad talk all youth to the older lady and gentleman she was with...while I HELD THE DOOR that the elderly lady was walking through. "kids these days, no respect.If my kids acted like that at their age..." I was seriously appalled. Kids who have no respect? That lady could've used some.:mad: lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
My friend and I walked into a local Goodwill thrift store. My friend was wearing a modern, double breasted black suit, colorful tie, no hat, no shades. I had on a blue and gray, single-breasted jacket, with gray slacks, burgundy tie, and aviator shades. The cashier, a woman around 45 years old, looked at us and said something to the tune of, "Is it the Blues Brothers?" I answered, "No, the Black Brothers," and kept on going. How could two hatless men, neither one wearing a black, single-breasted suit or a dark tie, and one without shades, be likened to the Blues Brothers? Or am I asking a futile question?:eusa_doh:

carldelo

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
My friend and I walked into a local Goodwill thrift store. My friend was wearing a modern, double breasted black suit, colorful tie, no hat, no shades. I had on a blue and gray, single-breasted jacket, with gray slacks, burgundy tie, and aviator shades. The cashier, a woman around 45 years old, looked at us and said something to the tune of, "Is it the Blues Brothers?" I answered, "No, the Black Brothers," and kept on going. How could two hatless men, neither one wearing a black, single-breasted suit or a dark tie, and one without shades, be likened to the Blues Brothers? Or am I asking a futile question?:eusa_doh:

I'd like to coin a new word for this: 'numbskullery'
Unusual to see it in an older person, but maybe that's just because I mostly observe it in my students.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
By this point in time most all of my co-workers have grown accustomed to seeing me show up at work dressed in dress shirts and 40's-50's ties/bowties and fedoras. Most everyone has always been very complimentary, I might add, until today. Upon returning from the Post Office this morning, I walked into the Credit/Billing Office still wearing my early 50's Richman Brothers Overcoat and Dobbs 15 to find our Housekeeping Supervisor "slacking" -while her staff does all of her work, I might add-at which point she began laughing. I said, "Sue, what are you laughing at?" to which she replied, "You look like someones Grandfather!" I so badly wanted to say, "Gee, and you look like a maid in a cheap hotel, so what's your point?"-but of course I didn't. First, I didn't want to insult the many hardworking maids employed in cheap hotels, and secondly, this woman is usually dressed in old jeans and sweatshirts, which explains her regular choice of fashion statement. I know I really should just consider the source, but she really got under my skin. Considering that I am old enough to be someone's Grandfather, and my overcoat actually had belonged to my Grandfather, (who gave me my first Stetson Fedora at age 15) perhaps her comment should have been taken as a back-handed compliment. Nonetheless, to her I say... [huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
JohnnyGringo said:
By this point in time most all of my co-workers have grown accustomed to seeing me show up at work dressed in dress shirts and 40's-50's ties/bowties and fedoras. Most everyone has always been very complimentary, I might add, until today. Upon returning from the Post Office this morning, I walked into the Credit/Billing Office still wearing my early 50's Richman Brothers Overcoat and Dobbs 15 to find our Housekeeping Supervisor "slacking" -while her staff does all of her work, I might add-at which point she began laughing. I said, "Sue, what are you laughing at?" to which she replied, "You look like someones Grandfather!" I so badly wanted to say, "Gee, and you look like a maid in a cheap hotel, so what's your point?"-but of course I didn't. First, I didn't want to insult the many hardworking maids employed in cheap hotels, and secondly, this woman is usually dressed in old jeans and sweatshirts, which explains her regular choice of fashion statement. I know I really should just consider the source, but she really got under my skin. Considering that I am old enough to be someone's Grandfather, and my overcoat actually had belonged to my Grandfather, (who gave me my first Stetson Fedora at age 15) perhaps her comment should have been taken as a back-handed compliment. Nonetheless, to her I say... [huh]

More numbskullery - it's terrible when the retort is right at your fingertips waiting to be used and yet it's clear that discretion is the better part of valor - sometimes taking the high road is just a lot of work...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Randal said:
I was at a children's birthday party last night and one of the mothers there looked at my Stetson and said "That's a pimpish hat you're wearing".

It COULD have been a round-about compliment. These days, "pimp" means to fix up and look sharp, "pimped" being all decked out and stylish. "Pimp my ride" means to fix up one's car, etc. It's all context I guess.

Justdog

Practically Family
Cowboy hat

UWS Cowboy said:
Wasn't a comment, but as I sat down on the train today with my Sears leather jacket and Fed IV, two girls across from me looked at eachother with what seemed to be disgust and attempted to hold back laughter. I didn't care though, people just aren't used to seeing Fedoras these days, unless they're the low crown stingy brims. More than two people have commented on my Fed being a "cowboy hat".

Thats funny my dentist called my OR a fedora. I told him it was an antique western hat LBJ and he still called it a fedora. Said it was stylish though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82