Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

One Too Many
A Canadian Dobbs
2568431630106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2085048610106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

A light fur felt hat, nice confortable.

Dobbs Gay Prince

In very nice condition... the felt feels like a firm piece of suede, surprisingly moldable for a soft finish. I planned to keep the fluffy feather, but it was shedding all over the place... so featherless for now.

gayprince2.jpg

gayprince3.jpg

gayprince4.jpg

gayprince1.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
A Canadian Dobbs
2568431630106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

A light fur felt hat, nice confortable.

Enrique: that Dobbs looks absolutely beautiful. I like that shade of gray. That is a real gentleman's hat. You have good taste my friend.

Alan: That's one more for your growing collection. A very unique, masculine looking hat. I like it.

fmw

One Too Many
Alan, you had me worried with your statement that you were planning to stop acquiring hats. Nice one!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful example of one of Dobbs' iconic hats, Alan. :eusa_clap Unfortunate about the feather but I am certain you should be able to find a suitable replacement if you so desire. There seems to be a stigma of 'un-wearability' with this hat, which I find curiously unfathomable as I think that it is full of character. Beautifully finished felt with a nice hand, and quite versatile.

I will post photos later on tonight of my second GP, which I believe may be contemporaneous with your example as they share the same, red-accented Dobbs logo on the liner tip along with a slightly reduced brim width.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs Gay Prince

Another Dobbs Gay Prince comes out of the closet. This apparently unworn hat came with its original box, and probably sat upside down within it for the better part of the past 60 years.

Color: Grey, with green undertone.
Crown: 4-1/2" at the front, as creased.
Ribbon: 7/8", felt.
Brim: 2-1/2".
Sweatband: 1-3/4".

Liner with some foxing present. Dobbs logo partially obscured by the intact onion-skin liner tip protector.

OPS tagged, '50-'53 example at the top, with 3" brim.

DRB

One Too Many
AL, my favorite is that 2nd picture you just posted. Gay Prince is a beautiful hat with character.

Beautiful example of one of Dobbs' iconic hats, Alan. :eusa_clap Unfortunate about the feather but I am certain you should be able to find a suitable replacement if you so desire. There seems to be a stigma of 'un-wearability' with this hat, which I find curiously unfathomable as I think that it is full of character. Beautifully finished felt with a nice hand, and quite versatile.

Is there really a stigma? If so, count me in for gay prince liberation. I like that the signature stitching leans to the left. These are beautiful hats that need to come out of the closet.

That three inch brim with wonderful color are impressive - 2.5" on my example. Robert, how would you describe the felt finish in your twenty? My prince is a four ounce hat with a firmness to the suede finish felt - it forms and holds the shape readily.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Robert, how would you describe the felt finish in your twenty? My prince is a four ounce hat with a firmness to the suede finish felt - it forms and holds the shape readily.
so we're on the same page...
5447769811_0b7e589dc6_b.jpg
5448409120_9a7b78800d_b.jpg

Same weight and description. My hat was in need of a rescue, very dirty with some moth issues and unevenness of coloring and its sweatband was beyond recovery. The suede finish shows its velour identity. Very firm felt, unlike the Stetson Tijuana which is so soft it can barely support the weight of the crown.

Last edited:
They could be twins separated at birth. And so true about the Tijuana... it is so soft and mushy. Sometimes I think the shape is controlled by the liner.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe