Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful hat, delectans! The condition looks amazing. Does the felt feel like suede? I have a Mallory in the same color with the same ribbon treatment. The only difference on my Mallory is that the brim is a bit smaller and the brim doesn't have the saddle stitch, just the ribbon.

Thank you, Josh, I appreciate it. The felt indeed has a smooth, suede-like texture, with a very supple hand. Feels great on the noggin, too.

I remember well your wonderful Mallory from your post back in December. That is why I made the suggestion to you NOT to alter the hat! It is a stunning example of Mallory's interpretation of the Gay Prince!

T Rick

Practically Family
Nice looking lids, bowlerman!!! You can embed the images directly to your post, rather than the links, if you so desire. There is a menu option for that on your individual image page. Let me know if you have any problems.
Or you can simply place that address (each one individually) between brackets like this (with this code)
. Each pic will then show up wherever you place it in the post.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Delectans, that's a fantastic color on your Gay Prince, and it's in great shape. Lookin' sharp!

I have the black topper ashtray as well,along with a crystal Dobbs topper that is a toothpick holder.

Still looking out for one of those!

Brad

DRB

One Too Many
RLK: I really enjoyed reading that letter dated 1923 from Dobbs Co.

I have a question: is Dobbs the only company that produced the Cavanagh edge?

Are the brand name "Cavanagh" owned by Dobbs?

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
DRB, to answer your question, Crofut & Knapp was the only company that could produce Cavanagh Edges, at least until 1931. Dobbs was owned and manufactured by C&K.

Brief trademark and corporate history:

Cavanagh:
John Cavanagh started John Cavanagh, Ltd. in 1928 as a separate but related company to Cavanagh-Dobbs, Inc, the holding company that was created to combine Crofut & Knapp and Dobbs & Co. John Cavanagh, Ltd, registered the Cavanagh trademark, though it was passed on to Hat Corporation of America, the company created in 1932 to merge Cavanagh-Dobbs with Knox and Dunlap after the purchase of Knox and Dunlap by Cavanagh-Dobbs.

Cavanagh Edge:
The name "Cavanagh Edge" goes back to 1913, when John Cavanagh created the process at Crofut & Knapp. Since they owned the patent, C&K had exclusive right to produce the Cavanagh Edge until 1931, when the patent expired, after which time, anybody could produce them. Of course, they couldn't use the trademarked name. C&K produced their two main brands with Cavanagh Edge, C&K/Knapp-Felt, and Dobbs, along with Cavanagh after 1928. They also made the hats for Disney, but those did not receive Cavanagh Edges until after 1930, as I've found no evidence as of yet that the licensed it to them. Same thing goes for Chase hats, another brand C&K made hats for, but for which I've never seen a hat.

After 1930, any hat company could make the Cavanagh Edge, and most did, they just had to come up with their own names for it.

Brad

Last edited:

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I've been VERY lucky as of late with Dobb's Cross Country's. Here are the two I've recently picked up. The beige came from Ebay ($70) and the blue (officially 'Dobbs Two-Tone Cross Country) from a Google search that led me to a vintage shop in Oregon. ($40!). Both 7 1/2. Both in great shape. I figure the blue to be 50's. But the beige, with the old-school Dobbs crest in red, I'm not sure. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
You really have been lucky! The blue one is more likely '40s, and the beige one is most likely '30s, but can't tell for sure about either one without photos of the details inside the hat. Both are beautiful hats.

Brad

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
You really have been lucky! The blue one is more likely '40s, and the beige one is most likely '30s, but can't tell for sure about either one without photos of the details inside the hat. Both are beautiful hats.

Brad

Thanks, Brad. Does this help?
IMG_2407-1.jpg

The Dobbs crest on the beige hat has worn away. But it is the crest. And, on the blue one, it says 'Two-Tone' under the Dobbs name but above 'Cross Country'.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Very nice indeed!. Factory paper tags under the seatband and markings on the sweatband(logo) would be more helpful.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The camera may have a limit at which it is capable of focusing. It will have the best chance at your cameras widest angle focal length. Some have a separate setting for macro(or a symbol indicating a close-up enlargement) Others require a separate attachment lens. A sharply focused image that is not so large can be enlarged digitally while a large blur is useless.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's possible that your camera can't focus that close up, though I think many cameras have a macro feature that is designed for anything less than 20 inches. My camera has that feature, and it's what I use for hat photography. Mine's just a general-use camera, almost a decade old now, 3.2 mega-pixels.

One quick question you can answer - are the sweatband seams sewn together, or taped? That's a good clue to decade right there. The blue one looks sewn, and I can't see the beige one at all. Robert's right, we also need to see photos of the logo on the sweatband, the tip of the hat, and tags.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe