Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting those. You beat me to them.:) I've been searching for these intead of grading papers, which I need to start soon.

Those are right after they opened for business. As you can see, Dobbs & Co. was the retailer, but they were initially known for selling Knapp-Felt Hats. That changed within a few years, as the Dobbs brand became more popular than C&K.

These newspaper ads helped me narrow down the year the moved from 242 to 244 Fifth Avenue to between 1912 and 1915. This is also the same period that the store changes from the Knapp Felt Store to just Dobbs & Co., so the change probably was simultaneous.

Also, they had the 620 Fifth Avenue store open by 1919, and I don't think I had that early of a date before.

There are some neat Dobbs Cavanagh Edge Hats ads from 1920-22.

Brad

buler

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Rainbow

Rainbow with a Tri-Tint band. Get Art to do a ribbon like that!

B

dobbs_rainbow_small.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jbucklin said:
rlk, when you say "late" what year are we talking? That's a lovely hat indeed.
Somewhere in the 1960's.
I wouldn't consider the Texas hats to really be Dobbs(or Stetsons).

jbucklin

Practically Family
You mean like this one?

Photo4-1.jpg

I live in Garland, Texas, about 5 minutes from Hatco, where the new Stetsons and Dobbs are made. I've bought 3 Stetsons and 1 Dobbs from them for much less than what one would normally pay, since it's an outlet store. I'm happy with them, but am really starting to desire the "real deal".

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jbucklin said:
You mean like this one?

I live in Garland, Texas, about 5 minutes from Hatco, where the new Stetsons and Dobbs are made. I've bought 3 Stetsons and 1 Dobbs from them for much less than what one would normally pay, since it's an outlet store. I'm happy with them, but am really starting to desire the "real thing".
They may be decent hats but their only connection to the old names are licensing agreements and transfers of Trademark.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, buler!

I've never heard of the O-Vo-Lo Edge before, so I can't offer any help on that subject. Just another of the many mysterious edge treatments Dobbs offered over the years.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
So the name is perhaps derived from "overwelt." Hmm.

EDIT: Actually, I'm probably over-thinking this, as I checked the Latin definition, which means a quarter section of a circle or ellipse.

Looking at the Seth Green Field & Stream, it appears to have both an overwelt and underwelt, so perhaps it's an added piece of wrap-around felt over the edge, if an Ovolo is pictured there. That wouldn't be a quarter section, however.

So, just a fancy name for your basic overwelt?

Brad

layg

New in Town
I found a dobbs desmond's at a local thrift store. It's grey with maybe a 2" brim and no trim. I'm going back to pick it up today after reading through this thread, but I noticed when I was looking at the hat that the original price was, if I remember correctly, $38.50. Any ideas as to when it would have sold for this price?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
layg said:
I found a dobbs desmond's at a local thrift store. It's grey with maybe a 2" brim and no trim. I'm going back to pick it up today after reading through this thread, but I noticed when I was looking at the hat that the original price was, if I remember correctly, $38.50. Any ideas as to when it would have sold for this price?
Would depend on quality level but common for late 70's average hat and perhaps a bit later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe