Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

MattC

A-List Customer
HELP NEEDED

I have a very nice old Borsalino, very soft, with a fairly high crown. With a centerdent or even a V, it looks too tapered from the front. But if I put it into a C, the brim gets the dreaded wave that comes from a long oval head in a regular oval hat. Any bright ideas about getting the taper out at the top without building in a brim wave?

Stoney

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
Here is my work of Art inspired by this thead:

DSC_0269.jpg

A gorgeous hat. Art has outdone himself with this one. The proportions are great and the color combo is spot on. I love the thin red line in the middle of the bow. It is very subtle yet gives the hat a little extra something that makes it even more special. You should be able to wear that hat with nearly any suit.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
MattC said:
I have a very nice old Borsalino, very soft, with a fairly high crown. With a centerdent or even a V, it looks too tapered from the front. But if I put it into a C, the brim gets the dreaded wave that comes from a long oval head in a regular oval hat. Any bright ideas about getting the taper out at the top without building in a brim wave?

You can take the wave out after forming the C Crown. Try a spray bottle of water to squirt down then brim the lay it on a table and smooth it by hand. Allow to air dry and you should be OK.

P.S. Make sure the crease is straight and even with the hat centerline to avoid as much brim wobble as possible in the first place.

univibe88

One Too Many
Stoney said:
You should be able to wear that hat with nearly any suit.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks. That is what I was going for.

The little bit of red in the bow is foreshadowing for the shockingly gorgeous red liner hiding underneath. ;)

MattC

A-List Customer
Wobble

The problem is that there is no wobble when the hat is off my head; onlly when it goes on and the long oval head stretches the soft hat into a longer shape. But I'll give it a try and see.

Stoney

Practically Family
MattC said:
The problem is that there is no wobble when the hat is off my head; onlly when it goes on and the long oval head stretches the soft hat into a longer shape. But I'll give it a try and see.

AH HA!

Try a hat stretcher, to long ovalize the lid, in addition to what i just said before. That should do it.

If you're a long oval, like me, you may want to consider making your own block(s). One that is the correct size for your head, including long oval, for working hats that you are replacing the sweatband on. One that is one size smaller to allow re-blocking hats with the sweatband still in. For me.... I can use the smaller block without the LO, just bought one off of e-Bay. I only had to make the LO correct size block myself. It was fairly easy to do and well worth the time and effort. The other option is of course to send the hat to a hatter and have it re-blocked to fit you. Fine if you only need one hat done , but I expect you will have several to do and the charges will add up.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
MattC said:

Matt, you may be doing this already, but following Stoney's advice, try letting the hat dry on your head for maybe an hour or two, taking it off periodically and pressing it flat as he recommends. Or try the same thing but with steaming which will allow it to become equally flexible, but also dry faster - in my opinion - based on my limited comparative experience. When I've done that sort of thing, I've had to re-steam several times during the process but eventually it held and it didn't lose the set afterward, even after being in rain.
- Bill

Woodfluter

Practically Family
handlebar bart said:
cavjj0.png

I'm crazy for the dry bashed (or creased;) ) diamond

Oh yeah Bart, now you're talking! That is one handsome hat indeed.

Perchance could you share some info about this hat? New or vintage, the maker, all that stuff.

= Bill

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
Oh yeah Bart, now you're talking! That is one handsome hat indeed.

Perchance could you share some info about this hat? New or vintage, the maker, all that stuff.

= Bill

I got this Cavanagh on ebay recently. Open crown and appears to have been unworn. It is a great tan color with a chocolate colored ribbon. Oh and it has a cav edge. 2 3/8 brim, 5 1/2 open crown. No markings on the brown sweatband, with cav crest on unblemished liner. I just gave it a once over again before I replied further and it certainly looks unworn to me. As far as I'm concerned the perfect dimensions for my liking

Woodfluter

Practically Family
handlebar bart said:
I got this Cavanagh on ebay recently. Open crown and appears to have been unworn. It is a great tan color with a chocolate colored ribbon. Oh and it has a cav edge. 2 3/8 brim, 5 1/2 open crown. No markings on the brown sweatband, with cav crest on unblemished liner. I just gave it a once over again before I replied further and it certainly looks unworn to me. As far as I'm concerned the perfect dimensions for my liking

Thanks Bart. Great eBay victory! I also like those dimensions and admire the ribbon width too. And I'm partial to the Cavanagh edge when they can be found...I have one of those in Stetson Vita Felt, and it's fantastic only I'd prefer the brim width you have...mine is 2". Really nothing else written on the sweatband? That's puzzling.
- Bill

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
Thanks Bart. Great eBay victory! I also like those dimensions and admire the ribbon width too. And I'm partial to the Cavanagh edge when they can be found...I have one of those in Stetson Vita Felt, and it's fantastic only I'd prefer the brim width you have...mine is 2". Really nothing else written on the sweatband? That's puzzling.
- Bill

cav4ca3.png

cavat1.png

cav2ko6.png

cav3os5.png

Here are some detail pictures of the cav. I just noticed while pulling back the sweat band that it is a 7 1/8 Long Oval. Fits great maybe I'm a LO[huh]

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
MississippiLong said:
bart, I want it. Even if you would give it to me, or I snuck in and stole it would never fit my noggin....but I still want it.:eusa_clap

Thanks,;) I think the hat is great. When I get my next VS it will be this hat dimensionally with a whippet width bound edge in a different color combo. :)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DSC_0269.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's really a beauty, univibe. What color would you call that granite? I can see some brown in it and some gray. It looks very neutral and may be a good choice for the work of Art that he makes for me to wear for him.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's a very nice looking diamond, Woodfluter. I'm going to order a silverbelly Campdraft soon and would love to know how you got that hat creased so perfectly. Care to share your method?

I'm glad I found this thread.

univibe88

One Too Many
BobC said:
That's really a beauty, univibe. What color would you call that granite? I can see some brown in it and some gray. It looks very neutral and may be a good choice for the work of Art that he makes for me to wear for him.

Thanks Bob. I really enjoy the hat. I'd call it a medium grey. I guess that picture does show a little brown, but I never pick up that in real life. The ribbon is definitely a cool grey.

I wear it everyday with a navy or charcoal suit and it's smashing. If I can help you with your decision by taking any more pictures, please shoot me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally