Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deck Jacket thread.

breezer

Practically Family
not bidding, got far too many jackets...........having said that I am bidding on a navy blue deck jacket........same model I had in the mid 80's.........one has finally turned up on ebay

Aero A2
Aero Waterfront
IH N1
Stevenson Overall repro flight jacket
LeftField NYC bomber
Schott varsity

on top of all that are the coach jackets, wind breakers and parkas that help me deal with the scottish weather....

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
IMG_3284.jpeg

Iron heart in the classifieds

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
So I finally was able to take Silverman's N-1 for a spin. The shell is stiff 17-oz rough canvas. I like it on a coat; it is definitely not a smooth fancy jungle cloth like in FW, IH or Dehen's, but what do you expect for 95 quid. It has a solid, utilitarian, workwear (lol) feel. Storm cuffs are one of the most solid I have seen, faux nylon fur lining will keep you warm in just a shirt underneath down to 5C. One small internal vertical pocket just big enough to fit a minimalist, credit-card sized wallet, pocket closure is a solid-feeling snap. Buttons are solid, the #5 YKK zipper smooth. Overall I am quite happy, great value imo.

PXL_20241018_083802372~2.jpg
PXL_20241018_085818982~2.jpg

Herrvallmo

New in Town
I LOVE my Pike Bros "Omaha" deck jacket, for the price of 300euro it delivers a lot of jacket!

The jacket is crazy warm, so perfect for me here in the northern parts of Sweden :) though this year has been super warm(I don't mind seeing +10c in October so I wont complain) so the deck jacket is mostly seeing the closet for now.

Some pics(sorry for the toe haha).
PXL_20241011_141944164~2.jpg
PXL_20241021_052457884.jpg
PXL_20241021_052452785.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
That is a nice jacket. I believe Pike Brothers uses the 100% wool lining in their Omaha deck jackets. If so, and with the storm cuffs, your jacket is, indeed, a warm one.

My original issue mid 60s deck jacket uses a nylon fleece lining, and it is warm. Would rather have the wool lining, as I'm not allergic to wool, but I have no complaints about the warmth of my jacket. And especially no complaints as it was free. A friend of mine who had been in the Navy gave it to me when he outgrew it.

If I remember correctly, the original deck jackets had a wool lining. The Navy was looking for a substitute for wool as it was becoming scarce during the war. It settled on a combination of wool and alpaca.

This was a warm combination, but required dry cleaning, as did 100% wool. As the deck jacket was a work garment, it required frequent cleanings. No dry cleaning facilities were available onboard Navy ships. So, the Navy switched to the nylon fleece lining in the early to mid 60s.

Herrvallmo

New in Town
That is a nice jacket. I believe Pike Brothers uses the 100% wool lining in their Omaha deck jackets. If so, and with the storm cuffs, your jacket is, indeed, a warm one.

My original issue mid 60s deck jacket uses a nylon fleece lining, and it is warm. Would rather have the wool lining, as I'm not allergic to wool, but I have no complaints about the warmth of my jacket. And especially no complaints as it was free. A friend of mine who had been in the Navy gave it to me when he outgrew it.

If I remember correctly, the original deck jackets had a wool lining. The Navy was looking for a substitute for wool as it was becoming scarce during the war. It settled on a combination of wool and alpaca.

This was a warm combination, but required dry cleaning, as did 100% wool. As the deck jacket was a work garment, it required frequent cleanings. No dry cleaning facilities were available onboard Navy ships. So, the Navy switched to the nylon fleece lining in the early to mid 60s.
Yeah it's 100% wool lining :)

I would love a original vintage one in navy or something cool, but they are not easy to get here in Europe sadly(or they cost a kidney) and the tax+import fee from the US is kinda brutal :( but I'll keep on looking haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley