Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Here is what I did to an Open Road, western creased Stetson...

Here is how it started out:

stetson_transform_brown_01.jpg

That looks more like a Rancher than an Open Road. Did somebody already modify it from it's original form?
That looks like a different ribbon plus the bound edge is gone....

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
That looks more like a Rancher than an Open Road.

No, you are right. I had Optimo do 2 of them. The other one was the Open Road that I had Optimo add a black ribbon to. The one above was a western rancher-style.

Here is the other one I had Optimo alter for me...

stetson_transform_blk_01.jpg

stetson_transform_blk_02.jpg

stetson_transform_blk_03.jpg

This one says Open Road on the band.

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
I had a friend of mine ask me if I wanted and old Cowboy hat that he had found at a garage sale since he knew I was into hats. So I told him sure go ahead and send me the hat. This is what I received in the mail.
DSCF5673.jpg

DSCF5677.jpg

So I figure what the heck I can't do any more damage to it. So I figured I would do a conversion. This is what I came up with! OK Gentlemen let me know if I hit the mark on this conversion or not.

DSCF6183.jpg

DSCF6184.jpg

DSCF6188.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
I have an old bone colored Stetson that I never wear anymore so I thought I'd try something. By the time of these first pics I had already trimmed 1 1/2 inches off the brim.

Picture201.jpg

Picture197.jpg

I took steam to it and re-bashed the crown. I'm going for more of a gambler look. The crown still ain't perfect but it's getting a shape more to my liking.

Picture045-1.jpg

Picture047-2.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Ok, now I'm at wits end! I called Optimo today to see if I ould get them to finish the conversion I started. I had Henry the Hatter trim the brim on my felt Stetson to 2 1/2, and I recreased it into a diamond bash, but the hat needs alot of work still. The 'gentleman' I talked to at Optimo was very short with me, and asked me to 'get to the point' when I ask him questions about what I would need done. He then told me I was probably 'wasting my time' with shipping, renovation, etc, and was just better off junking the hat! Wow, after eveyones alocades about these guys, I was really floored after talking to him. I am looking to have this hat erblocked into a 'c crown', new sweat, full cleaning, maybe brim welt and ribbon hat band. If I had a block, I would just do it myself So far, hatter in Detroit is 'not confidant' and hatter in Chicago is a j**k! Opps, did I just say that. oh well, I'll never set foot in their store. That's for sure. Anyones help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Ok, now I'm at wits end! I called Optimo today to see if I ould get them to finish the conversion I started. I had Henry the Hatter trim the brim on my felt Stetson to 2 1/2, and I recreased it into a diamond bash, but the hat needs alot of work still. The 'gentleman' I talked to at Optimo was very short with me, and asked me to 'get to the point' when I ask him questions about what I would need done. He then told me I was probably 'wasting my time' with shipping, renovation, etc, and was just better off junking the hat! Wow, after eveyones alocades about these guys, I was really floored after talking to him. I am looking to have this hat erblocked into a 'c crown', new sweat, full cleaning, maybe brim welt and ribbon hat band. If I had a block, I would just do it myself So far, hatter in Detroit is 'not confidant' and hatter in Chicago is a j**k! Opps, did I just say that. oh well, I'll never set foot in their store. That's for sure. Anyones help would be appreciated!

Send it to Major Moore in Covington, TN... If you've already trimmed to 2 1/2, I'd for go the brim welt, especially if it started life as a western.

azhiker

One of the Regulars

My dealings with Optimo have been 2 full renovations of vintage Open Roads. I send them the hat, they call me when received & tell me what they suggest, usually a female worker. I say what I want & they tell me the price. A few weeks later I get what I expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe