Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Thank You bumphery hogart, David Conwill and Sam Craig for your kind words about my work. :D: Bumphery hogart as far as sending one to the UK just PM me and we can discuss the particulars of what you may be looking for in a Pork Pie.:cool:
Sorry,bit new to this computer thing,why I haven't got any pictures ,quotes or anything,really have no idea how to work this thing.What does 'PM' mean?

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Did you see me wearing mine somewhere? I did the same thing a couple years ago with an eBay Snowy River.
3313432507_0d8303354c.jpg

JimC

New in Town
Hello folks,

I would like to make my first post to this forum in this thread. Before I go any further, I want to say that I'm a wide brim man. I like me some brim on my fedoras. Since they're pretty rare, I was wondering about converting cowboy hats to fedoras for a while and then I discovered the Conversion Corral! Encouraged, I hustled back to the vintage shop where I had found a nice newer Stetson and bought it for $32. Then I got to work.

I've done a couple hatbands before but no edge bindings yet I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out. All I did to the hat was rebash it, hand-compress the rear brim's edge while it was wet in attempt to gain some snap (not sure if this really worked), and sew the new stuff on. I left the brim width at its full 3-1/4" since, as I stated, I like me some brim. Still, I have this nagging feeling that it looks too much like a cowboy hat. What do you all think? Should I trim 1/4" off and go from there or leave it as it is?

Before:

PICT3708.jpg
[/IMG]

After:

IMG_0230.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

IMG_0311.jpg

[/IMG]

IMG_0317.jpg
[/IMG]

Great job!

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Great looking hat! But if it was mine I'd chop the brim to 3" or even 2 7/8". Although if you've got a zoot suit hanging in the closet it could be another story entirely

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I finally got my Stetson Open Road back from Optimo just in time for me to fly out to Houston, Texas.

Here is what it looked like when I got it from ebay for $40.

stetson_transform_blk_01.jpg

Here is the re-bash I gave it so that Optimo would know what I wanted.

stetson_transform_blk_02.jpg

And here is what I had Optimo do to her...

stetson_transform_blk_03.jpg

stetson_transform_blk_04.jpg

Well, I have to say I am VERY pleased with the results. And, yes, I'll be shaving before I fly out to Texas. LOL

Next month I have another western creased Open Road I'll be doing a similar treatment to. But on that one I'm going with a brown ribbon and a brown brim binding.

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Swoop knows what he's talking about.
Let's hope they don't stone you in Texas for putting a wide ribbon on an OR.
The ghost of Lyndon Johnson will be looking for you

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Oh, boo hoo for the thin ribbon lovers. :( :)

I have several other ORs that I would never remove the thin ribbon from (like a beautiful 1950s OR in Silverbelly that I'd never, ever alter.)

But these cheap, cowboy creased ORs from the 1980s? I see no reason to get all mushy over altering them. Plus I'd never wear a cattlemen's creased OR, anyway. That style looks ridiculous on me.

It looks much better than it did and it is not a fine quality, historic hat (both of the ones I am altering are 4Xers made between 1975 and 1985).

Furthermore, I own them. I can do what I want with them!

Of course, I am not taking the hat above with me to Texas, anyway. As I said in another thread a few days ago I am wearing this one to Houston, Texas...

stetson_transform_brown_02.jpg

But next month, I'll be showing the next one I am altering just to torture you thin ribbon fans, I guess! :)

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Naw, we're just kidding...
Go ahead and slap on the wide ribbons.
Just be careful out West.
You know, if Hickok had kept his back to the wall, he'd be alive today!

Sam

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like what you've done/had Optimo do, MV :eusa_clap!

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite threads. I'm preparing to branch out into more Western styles, and when I'm finally bored of those, I'll come back to this thread for ideas :).

Lots of cool conversions these last couple of pages, everybody. It is always amazing to me to see the before and after pics.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Sam,

LOL. Yeah, not wearing wide ribbon to Texas. Taking one of the other thin ribbon ORs I have.

Still, I know posting this would get the OR lovers all torked off. But, C'est la vie, right?

And...

thanks Neophyte.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
MV
I've converted 2 Resistols, a Miller, and 2 Stetsons from "cowboy" to fedoras ... all but one went from thin to wide ribbon. The only one that did not was a dressy gray Resistol that I'd already put a vintage wide ribbon on when I styled it into a Tom Mix shape for a dress hat ... before the "Gus" became "the" hat.
That one ended up looking just about identical to the one that Ford word on the train in the last Indiana Jones movie ... again, purely by accident.
These days, I get much more wear out of them as fedoras than as cowboy hats, and I don't have to worry about them getting messed up.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe