Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Did it had 3" brim or ended with 3" brim?
The ribbon color looks really nice.

From the sound of John's "before" description I don't think any 4" brims lost their lives in that conversion process. Although I would love to get my hands on your 7X CB Stetson that you posted in the WHAYWT thread. That would make a real nice conversion! How wide did you say the brim was on that one? ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
From the sound of John's "before" description I don't think any 4" brims lost their lives in that conversion process. Although I would love to get my hands on your 7X CB Stetson that you posted in the WHAYWT thread. That would make a real nice conversion! How wide did you say the brim was on that one? ;)
I don't know if any 4" brim Stetson 100 have been trimmed. I don't even know if any was ever made with 4" brim.
My 7XCB have a 3 7/8" brim. No, you will not trim it because I'm not sending it back to USA. :)
But yes, if you find one with 3" brim or less, get it, it's a really wonderful felt.

I can't make up my mine about converting my 7X CB.It would make a awesome conversion.
I can't stop you from converting it, probably it would be a kind of a loss because many were converted.
I think I was extremely lucky in getting this one for the price I payed even if it was a renovation from shudde bros (both original liner/sweatband was replaced), I'm happy with it, probably would be happier if the original parts were not replaced, but can't have it all.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks guys. Not mine, customer's choice, but he has good taste. I may do something similar with one of my own beaver 100's someday.

The flange matches my OR brim, and the width is 2 3/8 (originally 2 3/4 or 3, I cannot recall). The crease also matches the C crown I put in my own black OR.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. Not mine, customer's choice, but he has good taste. I may do something similar with one of my own beaver 100's someday.

The flange matches my OR brim, and the width is 2 3/8 (originally 2 3/4 or 3, I cannot recall). The crease also matches the C crown I put in my own black OR.
So no need to say sorry to me. I would not want a 3" brim Stetson 100. I want more... Stetson 100. :)

DOGMAN! Outta sight!! Would love to convert my Blue Stagecaoch...(hint...hint) ;)
I can't see why you say it is blue... it looks black in the pictures. And why convert it? Or it is just to tease me?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Another OR conversion on this 4X. I reblocked this one to square up the crown to be more straight sided all around. I'm not sure about the ribbon choice and bow treatment though. I just have it tacked in place to see if I actually like it. This is a vintage faux six ply mid-ribbon, (my thanks to Ole). It's a little different take on the bow treatment, a square loop and half bow....hmmm...don't know.

My_4x_OR_01.jpg

My_4x_OR_02.jpg

My_4x_OR_03.jpg

My_4x_OR_06.jpg

My_4x_OR_07.jpg

My_4_X_01.jpg

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Another OR conversion on this 4X. I reblocked this one to square up the crown to be more straight sided all around. I'm not sure about the ribbon choice and bow treatment though. I just have it tacked in place to see if I actually like it. This is a vintage faux six ply mid-ribbon, (my thanks to Ole). It's a little different take on the bow treatment, a square loop and half bow....hmmm...don't know.
The color looks nice but I think that "bow" needs a bit more work because it doesn't look a bow.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The color looks nice but I think that "bow" needs a bit more work because it doesn't look a bow.
Yup. That's my thought too. I may either go with a traditional bow or just cut the tail off this one and have only a loop and no bow. I think the latter would give it a clean look. Or, I could shorten the tail and just extend it about a 1/2 inch to 1' past the loop. Something like a belt. If I don't like it I can always add the bow.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yup. That's my thought too. I may either go with a traditional bow or just cut the tail off this one and have only a loop and no bow. I think the latter would give it a clean look. Or, I could shorten the tail and just extend it about a 1/2 inch to 1' past the loop. Something like a belt. If I don't like it I can always add the bow.

You could also make a simple "knot-only" like on the Borsa I bought from Paddy - sporting the exact same ribbon:

il_fullxfull.554277051_9r1u.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
T Jones,

Great job on the crown of that Open Road! The straighter sides look very nice. How old was that hat? Was it an older one that was easier to recrease?

I prefer the simple and clean look of Ole's ribbon. I love those old multi-ply ribbons. I have just enough left of a vintage tan 3-ply ribbon roll to use on one hat. I can't decide what hat to use it on though. I might have a custom made just to match that old ribbon. I wish I could find some vintage black and silverbelly 3-ply ribbon to use on all my newer westerns.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Mike : As a rule, hatters don't sell "loose" lengths of ribbon, but most of them will happily change your ribbon. I know for a fact, that Mike Moore (Buckaroo Hatters in Covington, TN) is "The Ply-Man of The South". He's got tons of different ply-ribbon in a multitude of colors (some extremely rare!) and widths. I believe, he bought most of it at the Langenberg/BB auction last summer. Give him a call - he's a great and super friendly guy :)

DOGMAN

One Too Many
T Jones,Really like the rake of your hat.The high front and low rear is just how I like them.I like your bow treatment,I have seen it on a hat somewhere.But I also like just the knot on the ribbon.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Landman, Ole, DOGMAN, Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I decided to shorten the tail and I cleaned it up a little bit.

Landman, This particular OR was a little more recent vintage. Probably 1980s. It was soft felt to start with so it was easy enough to shape and rehape. I think these more recent vintages were made at a time when Stetson was licensing other hat companies to make their ORs. They're nowhere near the quality of the older vintage ORs. I don't even think the same blocks were used as on the older ones. The sweat band was bonded leather, junk! I did change that out though to a better quality Roan leather sweat band. I did like that clean look on Ole's hat as well. I agree with you that on these ply ribbons simple and clean looks best.

DOGMAN, I've seen that ribbon treatment somewhere before too. I can't remember what it was on though. I'm with you about a tall crown at the pinch and lower in the back. That makes for a nice rake.

Anyway, here's the changes to the ribbon treatment. I shortened the ribbon length and hid the stitching behind the loop and tail. I'm still undecided whether or not I'm going to like it...

XXXX_01.jpg

XXXX_02.jpg

XXXX_03.jpg

XXXX_04.jpg

XXXX_05.jpg

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Don't overthink it, T... It's FANTASTIC. Good work!!

Absolutely, and may I add: We shouldn't eat just to empty our plates - and we shouldn't live just to die. I - for one - don't mess with my hats just to get them perfect. For me the keyword is "process" - not "goal". Try out new things, and return to old ideas. It's just hats, and they are darn fun to play with!

Remember Hank's old words: "No matter how I struggle and strive - I'll never get out of this world alive". We can just as well enjoy the journey and have a lot of fun, while it lasts ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82