Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That turned out nice S-4-C. John does a real nice job. It looks great. I learned a lot from John G. and Dane....

I'm working on another one. This is a 4X OR, probably '80s vintage. Of the hats I have this one is probably my least favorite. I think this came from a time when Stetson was contracting other hat companies to make their Open Roads. The materials on these later ORs were simply cheap junk, (a bonded leather sweat band i.e.). The felt doesn't seem as good as the earlier versions either. This one has been the worse to work with. I reblocked this thing at least four times and I'm still not quite happy with the results on this. Unlike the 3X I did a few days ago, and some other earlier vintage hats I converted, this later vintage 4X just doesn't want to co-operate. Anyway, here's what I have so far. I have it blocked and creased pretty crisp. The crown is 4 1/2 inches at the pinch to 3 inches at the back. The rake is pretty steep. I don't know for sure if I can be satisfied with it. What do you guys think?....Should I reblock it or does it look good enough as it is?....

4_X_04.jpg

4_X_03.jpg

4_X_02.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for the post, and the comments fellas. I've finally got Justin's hat on the flange, and know he's dying to get it. That and another I'm working on, and I'll be ready for more work.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys think?....Should I reblock it or does it look good enough as it is?....
I think it came out nice (apart the short brim but that's how OR are) but it's your call. If it doesn't satisfy you, then re-do it, it's you who gonna wear it.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I spoke with JW today and ordered more sweats. I guess I misremembered - he likes to sell at least a dozen at a time. Still, that's 11 dozen less than most manufacturers require for sweats this good.

John Galt

Vendor
Why do people do that... It's like gluing something on a 30x beaver hat...

I think you're talking about the earlier post regarding a giant pin on the front of the hat? If so, I agree. I have been tempted though, to buy an old 1800's military pin & put it on the right style of cowboy hat...

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I think you're talking about the earlier post regarding a giant pin on the front of the hat? If so, I agree. I have been tempted though, to buy an old 1800's military pin & put it on the right style of cowboy hat...

I was talking about packaging a hat that way. No sense of what they are doing.
I would put a 1800's military pin on a hat with the pin hole like a scout's hats. (I do own one but it's 3" brim...)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
And it ended with a teardrop?

Actually, the pictures of the hat demonstrating the different fedora creases is something I found online today. It has the same color, the same ribbon, and the same double bow as my 3X conversion, bottom pic. It almost looked like the same hat as mine. I went with a C-Crown crease.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Soon to be another OR / Wanderer conversion. I finally got this '80s vintage 4X Open Road reblocked close to where I want it. It came out pretty crisp. I originally put a real nice looking Diamond crease on the hat but some how it just didn't look right to me for what I was going after. IMO, I think Wanderers, Playboys, Stratoliners, and Open Roads look best with a C-crown crease. So that's what I changed it to. The crown is just a tad over 4 1/2 inches tall at the pinch and the brim on this one is 2 3/4 inches wide. I'll be sewing in a new leather sweat and sewing on a contrasting medium brown vintage mid-ribbon with a double bow. I'm liking the way this is coming out so far. It's a crisp looking hat....My thanks again to John Galt for the new sweat, and my thanks to Ole, (The Dane), for the ribbon....both of these guys are generous with their help and advise. Much appreciated....

Another_01.jpg

Another_02.jpg

Another_03.jpg

Another_04.jpg

Another_05.jpg

Another_06.jpg

Another_07.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I have a question for someone. I'm thinking of reblocking a Panama that I have, (the crown is too short and tapered for my liking). Is the process similar to reblocking a fur felt or are there major differences?

gear-guy

Practically Family
TJ really looks good you are getting great with your hats. That second pic with the brim up I have decided to name your hat the Manziel! Looks good, has style, but probably won't last! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82