Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I think the sweat was "large" enough to overlap because of the glue. It seems that the hat was not downsized as I put the sweatband around the hat and it fits perfectly without overlapping. Now I only need a little piece of thin leather to mend it and to resew the sweatband to the hat.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I had this 3X Stetson, possibly an Open Road, which was just prime for conversion. I cut the brim down from 4" to about 2 3/4", steamed a center crease and pinch, then added the black ribbon and bow. The one thing I wasn't able to do was put a snap brim to it, but I am happy the way the brim turned out regardless. Here are before and after shots:

Before:
IMG_20140426_220306_160.jpg

After:
IMG_20140427_125615_997.jpg
IMG_20140427_125623_886.jpg
IMG_20140427_125635_143.jpg

Let me know what you think.

-Max

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I had this 3X Stetson, possibly an Open Road, which was just prime for conversion. I cut the brim down from 4" to about 2 3/4", steamed a center crease and pinch, then added the black ribbon and bow. The one thing I wasn't able to do was put a snap brim to it, but I am happy the way the brim turned out regardless. Here are before and after shots:

Before:

After:
View attachment 13091
View attachment 13092

Let me know what you think.

-Max

I think it looks nice!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
+1 again...to make this my 1000th post ;) :first: :eusa_clap :rockon: :cheers1: YEE HAW!!!!! Post 1000! PAR-TAY!!! :focus:

Last edited:

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Nice work except the "death" of a wide brimmed western.

Joao,

I hear yah, I do however have two other wide brims which aren't being touched.

This one wasn't quite the color I wanted in a western hat so I made it a nice summer weight city hat. And as they say, there are plenty more 3X's where that came from.

-Max

Terry, I have got to give it to you, buddy. You make some damn nice conversions. If your roof work is anywhere near your hat work, I'll bet it's the best. Fancy a job in DC? :p

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao,

I hear yah, I do however have two other wide brims which aren't being touched.

This one wasn't quite the color I wanted in a western hat so I made it a nice summer weight city hat. And as they say, there are plenty more 3X's where that came from.

-Max

It "was" a vintage 3x beaver... not like the newer 3x beaver. If you have a source full of those then...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry, I have got to give it to you, buddy. You make some damn nice conversions. If your roof work is anywhere near your hat work, I'll bet it's the best. Fancy a job in DC? :p

Thanks buddy. I appreciate that...Ha! I could probably do a lot better job than the guy who's sitting in the White House right now! ;) oops

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I don't know... I think things got in a vicious circle. Things will not change until the one who owns the world's money looses it to everyone.

Back on topic:
Working on my 30x Stetson's sweatband. Not a perfect job but I'm pleased since I'm doing this by hand.
30xsweat05.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thanks John.
This is how it is now. I do know that the thin leather is not the same color. This is my first attempt to "mess" with a sweatband. Work is not perfect but I'm not using a machine (nor am I a sewing machine) and I do not want to replace the sweatband nor make new stitching holes on the leather.
30xsweat06.jpg

30xsweat07.jpg

Seems to fit perfectly
30xsweat08.jpg

Now I checked previous stitching holes on the hat felt. Some are filled with glue... must open them again to sew the sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82