Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a couple I got today, an old and very high quality mortar board and a very nice British made cap from the early part of the 20th century possibly pre WWII?
67t6bq.jpg
2vm94y1.jpg

2iw35ac.jpg
30ndlqh.jpg

2dj15dj.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
It's a much thicker and stiffer than the later stuff and not as clear, it's also sewn in not heat sealed on the lining... the blurb reads 'fitted with Easiefit superpeak flexible unbreakable'
As I said it's quite tight though I can just uncomfortably get it on...I am a 7 1/8- 7 1/4 UK depending on cap...toying with a cold water soak and a possible stretch but not sure if it'll go or being unworn? if I really want to try it?....I haven't got a 40's/50's British flat cap and really wanted one I was hoping that it would fit!

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice Caps everyone!
I posted these pictures in another thread but thought they'd be appropriate here as well. I had to show off my latest Thrift Store find! I found this USA made Black Leather Bomber's jacket for $12 bucks at our local thrift store! In near perfect condition! I topped it off with a City Sport Newsboy cap and some cool shades!

u1b3.jpg

Leather Jacket 01A B & W.jpg

Last edited:
Serious badassery TJones. The cap was made for a leather jacket. I can't wait til it's cool enough down here in the heart of dixie to rock that combo myself. Looks great man.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hey T, you wanna rumble?

What a great outfit. It's encouraging to know bargains can still be had out there - nice one!!

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Always nice to be able to pinpoint the age of a cap. Rolled inside the sweat of this beauty was this March 1925 farmer's paper, pinning the date and (less certainly) the Detroit lineage. It was so filthy it may need a second clean, especially around the visor edge and body front. This cap has the most supple and soft leather sweatband I've ever felt - like calfskin. This one didn't come cheap but it was really worth it. I think it's my oldest cap and may see me through the less brutal part of the summer thanks to the absence of a liner and light weight of the wool.

View attachment 4704 View attachment 4705 View attachment 4706 View attachment 4707 View attachment 4708 View attachment 4709 View attachment 4710 View attachment 4711 View attachment 4712
What a find! Congrats!

I've seen it quite a lot in postwar hats. It's this feature that makes me think postwar rather than 30s. As esteban says it's quite thick, rigid stuff, unlike the more crinkly stuff that appears in the 50s in hat crown liners.

that Palatine is great.
i'm surprised by the plastic label cover though, which looks like something which would have been done later ?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for the comments on the Star hat. When I saw this design and also the basketweave material, I knew this would be a good combination.

Jonathan also made me a nice 8-panel cap with some of his black vintage wool fabric:

smugshot_2141356-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82