Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Great hat! Interesting tag too, so detailed back then.
Do you think, Scott, that my hat is from the 60s?

Thanks. I have no clue, nor do I as to the age of mine - the features of Borsos are so similar over the years that it's really tough to tell, but Vic and Steven are your best sources.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Its definitely between 1951-1975. No Borsalino in script on left edge(transitioned during OPS period) and not later rounded corner sticker with date. Need more securely dated 60's hats to see if there are other definite changes.

do you have a label with the characteristics you describe? And the corner sticker?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Interesting discussion going on here as to Aureliano's lid.

Scott -- that's a great-looking Borso!

I have nothing to add really -- except that I immediately noticed that your Borso has the same sticker as my Disney:

DisneySticker.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
I own a Stetson and a Cavanagh with the same tag as the post before last.
I also have quite a few assorted hat brands with these, mostly 1950's I would guess, but they could have been used longer.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Thanks, Robert.
Hey Jimmy, so you only liked Scottf's hat? What's wrong with mine?:rage: :p lol lol:(

Oh, man -- I knew as soon as I hit the "send" button that I was in trouble! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

In all seriousness, I like the look of your lid, Aureliano. I defer to carouselvic in all things Borso -- but, I gotta say, the detail on that ribbon strikes me as something Borso-esque. Makes me wonder whether that may be an example of a hat that had a different ribbon substituted for the original from the get-go. No way of knowing, so mere speculation.

Still, a good one -- and suitable for a noggin shot! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Oh, man -- I knew as soon as I hit the "send" button that I was in trouble! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

In all seriousness, I like the look of your lid, Aureliano. I defer to carouselvic in all things Borso -- but, I gotta say, the detail on that ribbon strikes me as something Borso-esque. Makes me wonder whether that may be an example of a hat that had a different ribbon substituted for the original from the get-go. No way of knowing, so mere speculation.

Still, a good one -- and suitable for a noggin shot! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Thank you very much, Sir. :D lol (as for the ribbon, I agree with you. It screams borsalino to me, too. But we'll never know for sure.)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
A Head Scratcher

I consider this a newer hat than most of the hats with this medallion. My reasoning is, liner material, bow, size tag, sweatband width, lack of corrugated sweatband and less than perfect sewing on the over-welt. On the other hand the sweatband stitching is very close together and it still has the older Borsalino mfg. stamp under the liner. Thoughts?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Right -- I was wondering whether these particular tags were associated with any particular timeframe...

I have a Knox and a Cavanagh with that tag, and both are dated to late '50s, possibly early '60s (Knox by Brad, Cav by me with no opposition :) ).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Interesting discussion going on here as to Aureliano's lid.

Scott -- that's a great-looking Borso!

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks! Unfortunately, when bashed it doesn't look so great on my head and will probably end up in the 'bay at some point.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
I consider this a newer hat than most of the hats with this medallion. My reasoning is, liner material, bow, size tag, sweatband width, lack of corrugated sweatband and less than perfect sewing on the over-welt. On the other hand the sweatband stitching is very close together and it still has the older Borsalino mfg. stamp under the liner. Thoughts?

Those "generic" for lack of a better term components sure making dating Borsalino tough. The size tag I think is dealer rather than manufacturer as I've had them on hats from 30's to 60's from various brands. Liner is the basic one and I couldn't date it and/or could have been replaced. I have a 1978 Borsalino with the corrugations and definitely very old ones without. Perhaps some of these things were dealer options. Same goes for the bow style-- wide period of use. I know this isn't too helpful[huh] I would tend to look at the factory stamp as the most reliable.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The thing about the liner material, is that I've seen this material used on non-fitted liners with the open seams on the side, something that to me is a more modern design.[huh] [huh] Borsalino's are tough to date, I can only generalize at best.[huh] [huh]

carouselvic said:

The older Borsalino mfg. stamp is broken up which makes me think some type of work was done prior to 11851 tags. Why does the one 11851 tag have 7 1/4 while others show 7 3/8? Who applied the 11851 tags? I am with RLK regarding the size tag. I tend to think the same with the Long Oval tag (is this the reason the Borsalino mfg stamp is broken up -> size change)?

Very interesting example!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
This hat is in "as new" condition. It has never been worn. It has never been refurbished. I bought this hat only to learn from it, at that time I had not seen a Borsalino in a long oval. I have seen a hand full since buying this one. Still scratching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld