Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just a few updated photos of my black Borsalino under a different light. The ribbon shows up purple in these pics but it's actually black. Come to think of it, I think a black and purple combo would look pretty good

Borsa_Hat_5_A.jpg

Borsa_Hat_2_A.jpg

Borsa_Hat_1_A.jpg

On the head early this a.m. for a noir effect
Borsa_Hat_6_A.jpg

A finely finished velour Borsalino from the Zlateff collection (a stash of stored hats from Bulgaria that made the rounds on eBay some years back)... WWII era or perhaps earlier. One of the first hats I purchased from eBay... had it at Gary White's for what seemed like an eternity for a new ribbon, got impatient and took it back and gave it to my father who has a smaller head and wore it beautifully. Now back with me. It still needs a new ribbon.

100518_1.jpg

100518_2.jpg

100518_3.jpg

100518_4.jpg

100518_5.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A Lobbia Borsalino made probably ten years after the Zatleff - Sofia - Bulgaria, Alan show above
BorsaO 2 R.jpg

Lobbia Borsalino. Qualità Suprema, size 5 1/2 58 centimeters
BorsaO 4 R.jpg

Made probably during the late forties and early fifties at Borsalino historical factory in Alessandria.
BorsaO 5 R.jpg

The color is "Opale" c. (cinta = ribbon) Nera, type Mula 40 The felt is plain with contrasting ribbon as in the origin for this lobbia
BorsaO etichetta carta R.jpg

This hat was made for the Italian market, particularly for "Vedova di Vincenzo Foresto" one of the best hats shop in Turin
BorsaO interno 1 R.jpg

BorsaO Borsalino R.jpg
BorsaO Foresto R.jpg
The felt is typical of the Borsalino of after war: very dense e medium thickness. In Qualità Suprema is a little bit more stiff than others Borsalino qualities.
BorsaO 6 R.jpg

Proportions: Brim at 7 cm. Crown al 11 cm and the ribbon is 4 cm. sweatband is 5 cm.
BorsaO 3 R.jpg

I'm lucky because the hat was used, but in excellent conditions
BorsaO 8 R.jpg

Final profile from the side, my favourite

Last edited:
A Lobbia Borsalino made probably ten years after the Zatleff - Sofia - Bulgaria, Alan show above
View attachment 138563
View attachment 138565

Made probably during the late forties and early fifties at Borsalino historical factory in Alessandria.
View attachment 138566
The color is "Opale" c. (cinta = ribbon) Nera, type Mula 40 The felt is plain with contrasting ribbon as in the origin for this lobbia
View attachment 138567
This hat was made for the Italian market, particularly for "Vedova di Vincenzo Foresto" one of the best hats shop in Turin
View attachment 138571
View attachment 138569
View attachment 138570
The felt is typical of the Borsalino of after war: very dense e medium thickness. In Qualità Suprema is a little bit more stiff than others Borsalino qualities.
View attachment 138568
Proportions: Brim at 7 cm. Crown al 11 cm and the ribbon is 4 cm. sweatband is 5 cm.
View attachment 138572
View attachment 138574

It does not get better than this. Truly splendid hat, Daniele.

Hey Guys

I have been searching for a Vintage Borsalino for a while, but size 7 1/2 seems elusive in any make. I am tempted by this hat on the bay but know very little about what I am looking at. Any insight or opinions on age, quality, or value would be appreciated.

Peace.

View attachment 139432

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borsalino-...t-Condition-Free-Shipping-in-U-S/132813547768

:)
Not their best work in my view. Most likely seventies and maybe even early eighties. The felt will be thicker (in fact it's listed as a heavier hat) and not as finely pounced. I have a borsalino from the same period, not from the Colombo line but the ribbon treatment is the same. Fine enough hat, but certainly not the best borsalino I have. From the pictures the finishing is below par with some sloppy stitchwork visible. There are a couple size 62 borsalino hats listed that are more recent, but look better (and can maybe be had cheaper). Value is a relative measure, but I think the listed price is quite high. You can always ask Daniele if he has something worthwhile for you.

I have had quite a few of these pass through my hands in various guises, but this one might replace one I have for quite some time (and that's saying something).
Borsalino homburg Gulaela in Nero. Size 57 with the brim at 6cm and crown 11cm at the pinch. The same size as an Export Qualität Borsalino Gran Lusso homburg I had in the same colour, but that one wasn't a Gulaela model and did not fit me as well as this one.

borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_01-jpg.139485
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_02-jpg.139486
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_04-jpg.139487
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_06-jpg.139488
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_07-jpg.139489
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_08-jpg.139490
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_09-jpg.139491
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_10-jpg.139492
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_11-jpg.139493
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_12-jpg.139494

I have had quite a few of these pass through my hands in various guises, but this one might replace one I have for quite some time (and that's saying something).
Borsalino homburg Gulaela in Nero. Size 57 with the brim at 6cm and crown 11cm at the pinch. The same size as an Export Qualität Borsalino Gran Lusso homburg I had in the same colour, but that one wasn't a Gulaela model and did not fit me as well as this one.

borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_01-jpg.139485
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_02-jpg.139486
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_04-jpg.139487
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_06-jpg.139488
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_07-jpg.139489
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_08-jpg.139490
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_09-jpg.139491
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_10-jpg.139492
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_11-jpg.139493
borsalino-homburg-gulaela-nero_12-jpg.139494
Incredible Impermeabile Stefan. Love the lines.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 138563
View attachment 138565

View attachment 138566
View attachment 138567
View attachment 138571
View attachment 138569
View attachment 138570
View attachment 138568
View attachment 138572
View attachment 138574

Hermosísimo

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Borsalinos' Marque Grand Luxe hats have been getting some attention in this thread lately and I recently posted a hat in Lupo colour with that designation. Well, it appears that was not my first MGL (to my surprise this one has the same moniker). I posted this one before, so I won't post it all over again, but it deserves a bit of attention.
Borsalino MGL 6x, morello colour Ta-Dalmami (whatever that may mean). This felt is nothing short of incredible.
borsalino morello_02.jpg
borsalino morello_03.jpg
borsalino morello_06.jpg
borsalino morello_07.jpg
borsalino morello_08.jpg
borsalino morello 12.jpg

Borsalino fedora in black, qualitá speciale. It also says Export Qualität on the sweatband, so made for the German market. Size 57 with the bound brim at 5,5cm and crown at 11cm at the pinch. I wasn't going to keep this one (just like the borsalino homburg in black I posted recently), but this hat has so many redeeming qualities it will stay. I don't have a lot of black borsalino hats to be honest. And these cellophane covered liners always have my resolve turn into dissolve...

borsalino-nero-export_01-jpg.141107
borsalino-nero-export_02-jpg.141108
borsalino-nero-export_03-jpg.141109
borsalino-nero-export_04-jpg.141110
borsalino-nero-export_05-jpg.141111
borsalino-nero-export_07-jpg.141112
borsalino-nero-export_06-jpg.141113
borsalino-nero-export_08-jpg.141114
borsalino-nero-export_09-jpg.141115
borsalino-nero-export_10-jpg.141116

Borsalino nutria in Condor colour. Model Ecosca. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the pinch. Superb felt that dry creases easily but still feels sturdy (but not stiff). The hand is very soft. The seller had his (or her) own ideas about this hat because it was creased the other way round and there was a thread sewn in around the reed. I thought it was because the sweat was loose from the reed, but that was not the case.

borsalino-condor_01-jpg.141121
borsalino-condor_02-jpg.141122
borsalino-condor_03-jpg.141123
borsalino-condor_04-jpg.141124
borsalino-condor_05-jpg.141125
borsalino-condor_06-jpg.141126
borsalino-condor_07-jpg.141127
borsalino-condor_08-jpg.141128
borsalino-condor_09-jpg.141129
borsalino-condor_10-jpg.141130

Just a few updated photos of my black Borsalino under a different light. The ribbon shows up purple in these pics but it's actually black. Come to think of it, I think a black and purple combo would look pretty good

Borsa_Hat_5_A.jpg

Borsa_Hat_2_A.jpg

Borsa_Hat_1_A.jpg

On the head early this a.m. for a noir effect
Borsa_Hat_6_A.jpg
That looks great on you. I shy away from wearing black hats but when I see one that looks this good I cannot help but reconsider.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino fedora in black, qualitá speciale. It also says Export Qualität on the sweatband, so made for the German market. Size 57 with the bound brim at 5,5cm and crown at 11cm at the pinch. I wasn't going to keep this one (just like the borsalino homburg in black I posted recently), but this hat has so many redeeming qualities it will stay. I don't have a lot of black borsalino hats to be honest. And these cellophane covered liners always have my resolve turn into dissolve...

borsalino-nero-export_01-jpg.141107

Borsalino nutria in Condor colour. Model Ecosca. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the pinch. Superb felt that dry creases easily but still feels sturdy (but not stiff). The hand is very soft. The seller had his (or her) own ideas about this hat because it was creased the other way round and there was a thread sewn in around the reed. I thought it was because the sweat was loose from the reed, but that was not the case.

borsalino-condor_01-jpg.141121
Stefan, I think it is a wise decision to keep the black Borsalino in black. It is a "Qualità Speciale" that is not so often see and also because is very elegant. May be I'm little prone to black hats in this period.
Second the Nutria witha rare color "Condor" is a superlative hat. Very simple and so sharp.
For your purpose to know the Borsalino colors I have two new for your record data: "Marocco" a very, very deep brown, almost black and "Pomice" another grey shade you will see in these days. With Steve we visited Merano and have the chance to see others Borsalino colors that in the huge quantity of hats looked in the past were lost. The marocco is not in my hand. It is too tight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust